Forums > General Industry > Sincere Direction / Perverted Angle?

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

For both models and photographers because I find myself in this position all the time when working with models. I find myself posing 8 out 10 models I shoot with because many of the models I work with really have no idea how to "model". The best statement I ever heard was; "The photographer is only there to take the picture, the rest is up to you" on ANTM.

If I worked only with what I got from the models, my port would like shit, or I would have the same 3 or 4 models posted.

AAANNNYYYYWWWAAYYYYY!

I find myself feeling weird when I ask a model to strike a pose that she thinks is questionable or she just doesn't feel what I'm feeling about it. I might say, "poke or pop your bootie, or pout your lips, or, if you hold your arm like this, it will make your boob(s) look bigger"

Whenever I have to tell a model what to do in order for them to "look" sexy, I feel like the biggest pervert but at the same time, I'm surprised at how many models I've worked with don't know how to be sexy.

Models: how does it make you feel when a photographer asks you to pose in a position that you're not really feeling but! you trust their work.

Photographers: is it a tug of war to get a model to pose for you? Do you feel like you have to trick the model into the pose?

I'm looking for feedback because I want my images to be HOTTER, to the highest of HOTivity!

P.S. It's not like I'm an old head photographer that is creepy, many times I'm way cooler than polar bears on ice, and I look better too!

May 15 05 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Well, I'm just going to through this out there for the heck of it, take it for what it's worth.

If you want hot pictures, it's best to find a model that already has it in her and maybe just needs it coaxed out a bit, rather than a model that you need to "twist" into that mode.  The latter may be uncomfortable with your direction which just sends the shoot downhill while the former will "come to life" and make a great shoot.  They're out there, you just need to find them.

The boob thing is funny.  Some people will be totally offended but I have a picture exactly like that which I gave to the model and she loved it.  She literally said to me "because it makes my boobs look bigger".  So again, it's all about finding the right person for the look you want.  I've also worked with models who automatically went into the "hotness" mode when that wasn't what I was looking for.  So it goes both ways.

But in general, I don't think it's a good idea to say that you're trying to make their boobs look bigger.  I'll never "trick" a model into any pose.  I want the model to always be comfortable (emotionally, not necessarily physically) because if they're not, it shows in the photos.  If they don't want to do something I just let it go and move on.  If they trust you they will be more open to suggestion (I'm not sure that quite came out right, sounds a little naughty for some reason).

I do feel a little bit weird about asking a model to "spread her legs" which I do a lot, but not for "that" kind of "spread shot".  In the context of my shoots they usually understand that though.

May 15 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Had to respond to this one!

I'm relatively new, so in the beginning, I was "posed" alot. I have never had a photographer touch me in a way that felt like a violation. I'm doing a job, he's doing a job, and its not personal or perverted. But I'm not very squeamish either, know what I mean?

As far as models looking sexy and moving, I got some awesome advice from a photographer (thats all I got too, that and 1 picture). When shooting glamour, or sexy photos, man this is going to sound strange, but you touch yourself. NOT DOWN THERE! lol Like running your hands through your hair, touching your neck, down your breast, constantly moving. You move, you get into the frame of mind, you seduce the camera. I think you have to feel sexy to look sexy. If a model is not "feeling it", or uncomfortable, its hard to be sexy.

I have learned how to pose, however i can't see myself and may need adjustments or a reminder to arch, etc. And I'm fine with that.

May 15 05 04:14 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 

I've also worked with models who automatically went into the "hotness" mode when that wasn't what I was looking for.  So it goes both ways.

Good point! As a model, I need the photographer to tell me what he is looking for so I can know what mode to be in. smile

May 15 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Angel Tara: 
I'm relatively new, so in the beginning, I was "posed" alot. .......I think you have to feel sexy to look sexy. If a model is not "feeling it", or uncomfortable, its hard to be sexy.

First of all - you're new? Wow. I'm impressed.

Second, I TOTALLY agree. I have said it time and time again ALL MODELS MUST FEEL COMFORTABLE to do a good shoot. Doesn't matter if it is your 1st shoot or your 5000th.

Which is why I make an effort to create a fun and lighthearted rapport with models.

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I find myself feeling weird when I ask a model to strike a pose that she thinks is questionable or she just doesn't feel what I'm feeling about it. I might say, "poke or pop your bootie, or pout your lips, or, if you hold your arm like this, it will make your boob(s) look bigger"

Whenever I have to tell a model what to do in order for them to "look" sexy, I feel like the biggest pervert but at the same time, I'm surprised at how many models I've worked with don't know how to be sexy.

And THAT is why you need to establish a mutual confort-level between each other.

As a photographer, you need to be comfortable enough to tell the model what you need. As a model, the model needs to comfortable enough to take those directions.

May 15 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

work with a real model (or two)

https://candydreams.com/upload/victoria_laura_bath030.jpg

May 15 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

I only find difficulty keeping sexuality out of the model's poses. Shooting nudes that are not intentionally erotic doesn't come naturally to some models. Too often they have trained themselves to give a submissive upward look, or they just mimic glamor poses they have seen. Shooting simple unprovocative nudes takes more control and less "feeling the mood".

May 15 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posing is a dance. Any dancer I've shot with knows how to pose!  Tell your models who are struggling to find poses to take dance lessons. Approach dance schools when looking for models. Most are eager to take pictures!

But I hear ya! I will strike a pose for a model to mirror image. Or give verbal direction, but sometimes I've run into the "sexy" mode when that was not what I wanted.

May 15 05 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I've only had a small percentage of models (out of the 300+ i've shot) actually know what they were doing. The main one that sticks out in my mind is Jillian Ann, she was MAD professional with hers. Behind her was a handful of others, but the rest were like posable action figure dolls that I had to direct as I was shooting. That was ok though, for it kept me in charge of the image I was going for.

Normally I tell them to go buy the glamour/fashion magazines and practice the poses they see in the books.
Oh, and there is a book out that teaches girls how to pose, though I forgot how much it costs.

May 15 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

I find it a blessing and special treat when a model knows how to pose. I tend to get newbies and after the shoot we're both exhausted! I tend to get into the pose and have them mimic it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it does get a smile when a photog tries some of those poses!
I totally agree with the comfort comments. If you're not  comfortable it just shows in the images, no way around it!

Rich

May 15 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Rich Mohr: 
I tend to get into the pose and have them mimic it.   

lol, nice to know i'm not the only one that does that.

May 15 05 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Pop, dip, and spin - check out the posing and vogueing competitions at a drag ball for a real education.

May 15 05 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Rich Mohr: 

Yup, I do that too when I have to.  It looks pretty silly I'm sure, but everyone has a laugh and then we go ahead and do the shot!  The more you do it, the less self concious you'll feel, especially if it helps you ge the shot you want, and lightens the mood in the studio.

May 15 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by johnny olsen: 

OMG!  That picture rocks!

A model will usually tell me if they are uncomfortable with the pose and I will respect that.

Here's a suggestion, bring a copy of Maxim, FHM, something of the sort.  Throw them the magazine and tell them to do that!  *points at the picture*  most of the time, if they see it done in a well known magazine, they will feel more comfortable and do it themselves.

May 15 05 06:35 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Very nice picture, I must say.

I love it when photographers pose for me.  lol  I make them do it just to make me laugh and smile.  It actually helps break the ice a little. 

After 7 months of full time modeling, I've learned to take direction well.  However, I do not know how to pose myself.  Most photographers say I pose naturally and don't even know it.  Photographers I work with regularly have to say only one or two words and I know what they're looking for.  I'd rather the photographer pose me because they know what it looks like through the camera.

If I'm ever uncomfortable doing a certain pose, I'll tell them or I'll let them know from the very beginning what I will and what I will not do.

The comfort level between the photographer and model is a major thing.  If I don't get along with the photographer, I don't enjoy posing.  I've only had one photo shoot that was like that.  Anyway, everything should be discussed before the shoot is actually booked.  Such as comfort levels, posing techniques, rates, etc.

Anyway, maybe you're wording things in the wrong way and giving the model the wrong impression.  I know it has to be frustrated and hard to direct a model and to tell them what you're looking for without being crude.  Or just warn the model that you're not trying to be a pervert by the way you word things but you don't know how else to say it.

May 15 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Rich Mohr: 

Yup, I do that too when I have to.  It looks pretty silly I'm sure, but everyone has a laugh and then we go ahead and do the shot!  The more you do it, the less self concious you'll feel, especially if it helps you ge the shot you want, and lightens the mood in the studio.

God! No one reads what I write! LOL  I said it earlier, but I do the same thing. In fact, I consider it one of the three best methods of demonstrating a pose. It's almost a manditory thing that the photographer be willing to do anything the model has to do. You don't get that in "Adult" work, do you?  ROFLMAO!

May 15 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by johnny olsen: 

OMG!  That picture rocks!

A model will usually tell me if they are uncomfortable with the pose and I will respect that.

Here's a suggestion, bring a copy of Maxim, FHM, something of the sort.  Throw them the magazine and tell them to do that!  *points at the picture*  most of the time, if they see it done in a well known magazine, they will feel more comfortable and do it themselves.

Dude! "You don't have ta throw it at 'em!"  LOL  But yes, showing pictures that are what you're looking for helps! That picture DOES ROCK!

May 15 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

AGAIN! It's about the dance! Posing is dancing if you are doing it right! Models need to take dance lessons because it will improve your ability to pose!

May 15 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Dude! "You don't have ta throw it at 'em!"  LOL  But yes, showing pictures that are what you're looking for helps!

How about rolling it up and hitting them upside thier head and telling them to pay attention, this is how I want you to pose!

May 15 05 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Dude! "You don't have ta throw it at 'em!"  LOL  But yes, showing pictures that are what you're looking for helps!

How about rolling it up and hitting them upside thier head and telling them to pay attention, this is how I want you to pose!

But they cry when i do that!!

May 16 05 01:02 am Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Models: how does it make you feel when a photographer asks you to pose in a position that you're not really feeling but! you trust their work.

This is what happens when you trust their work...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … d6fba1fbe4

May 16 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

But they cry when i do that!!

OUCH! Then the make up starts getting all smeared on their face! Hate when that happens ... eepecially after spending ... $$$ for a MU Artist! 

May 16 05 01:46 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
For both models and photographers because I find myself in this position all the time when working with models. I find myself posing 8 out 10 models I shoot with because many of the models I work with really have no idea how to "model". The best statement I ever heard was; "The photographer is only there to take the picture, the rest is up to you" on ANTM.

If I worked only with what I got from the models, my port would like shit, or I would have the same 3 or 4 models posted.

AAANNNYYYYWWWAAYYYYY!

Photographers: is it a tug of war to get a model to pose for you? Do you feel like you have to trick the model into the pose?

I'm looking for feedback because I want my images to be HOTTER, to the highest of HOTivity!

P.S. It's not like I'm an old head photographer that is creepy, many times I'm way cooler than polar bears on ice, and I look better too!

This is actually a great question because as you will see in some ports, some models have had a horrible time with "creepy" photographers.  I can't say that I have ever had that problem but to each their own on that one. 

I think if your wanting hotter images you need to see the model's work before you work with them seeing if they are capable of producing those images.  Communicate with them, find out if they posed on their own...or did they have help.  I used to be an exotic dancer...which now that I am modeling..funny thing is I don't do nude...that is weird I know, but it is something I have control over.  BUT, I think my past being an exotic dancer made me able to pose in front of a camera and in front of people.  Not only do you have to ask the question about posing but you also need to have "expression" there too. 

I think it is great if you work with a model on her poses too.  There are girls out there that are just getting into this and need help.  It is nice to know that there are photographers out there that care and are willing to help them.  Models have to learn somehow...if they have not learned on their own.  I am also not saying that a model should never learn because after a few shoots, that is enough to get the model started in creating what is good for her and what she wants to portray. 

A photographer shouldn't have to trick a model into posing or anything.  In fact, these things of what the photographer and/or model is looking for should have been communicated before an actual shoot.  Both the model and photographer should have had a reasonable time to look over each other's work.  A photographer should also know the model's limitations before the shoot, what they will or will not do and respect that.  A photographer should also communicate what he is looking for, what he is wanting to get out of the images and if the model cannot pull it off, then he/she shouldn't do it unless the photographer is willing to work with them. 

A photographer if working with a model should be able to direct a model (by mouth) and the model able to take direction.  No matter what, in the industry a model needs to know how to take direction and know how to get what the photographer or client is looking for. 

If you are posing 8 out of 10 models..and this is something that you are not wanting to do...then communication was never established somewhere.  Like anything else there has to be communication, research and knowing who you are working with and what the finished product is suppose to be and if it can be done. 

McKenzie

May 16 05 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm rather lucky in that by the time I have to ask a model to pout or stick out anything, she's been rigged up with rope, sealed in saran wrap or on the floor of a walk in closet...By that time "stick out your bits" seems like a rather innocuous thing to ask.

I will agree with Mr. Olsen that it helps to work with people who understand what you're after.

May 16 05 10:47 pm Link