Forums > General Industry > I need help finding spray on paint and latex

Photographer

montgomery photographic

Sunnyvale, California, US

I want to do some bodypainting and latex stuff, I have the compressor and  all the spray equip. I just need some advice on where to get the paint that won't hurt the model and where to get liquid latex in colors
any ideas?

Oct 20 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Do a Google search for liquid latex and you'll find a lot of listings.

Some people may be allergic to latex so be careful.

Oct 20 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

The clinic is closed

Akhiok, Alaska, US

Any decent sex supply shop is going to have liquid latex, along with the little sponge brushes to apply it. You can eve order it online from fetish supply sites such as http://www.mr-s-leather.com or stockroom.com.

Oct 20 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
Do a Google search for liquid latex and you'll find a lot of listings.

Some people may be allergic to latex so be careful.

I tried liquid latex once. Didn't turn out too good. Must not have known what I was doing. But yes, be forwarned if allergic they could go into shock.

i think your best bet would be to get some advice from a MUA

Oct 20 05 08:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Temptu, Kryolan, Make-Up Forever, Dinair, Ben Nye are just a few that offer liquid body paint that can be put through an airbrush.  Mehron has a powder that you mix with a liquid that goes through the brush as well.

Oct 20 05 08:55 pm Link

Model

ashleyxo

Vista, California, US

search halloween stores, good ones should carry at least 6-12oz jars. make sure you get the right stuff though, they try and get tricky and add oil and stuff to it. arghhh

Oct 21 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

MorTis

Chiang Mai, Northern, Thailand

i use liquid latex from www.bigheadstudio.com

this is like liquid latex used for fetish wear, i normally paint it on, i not sure if you can use it in an airbrush, becuase you want it to be think, unlike liquid latex make-up which is different.

Nov 10 05 06:10 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ditto on the www.bigheadstudio.com ... great folks and you can probably email him about wether or not it can be put in airbrushes...I know he does demos on LL using a brush, but he'd probably know if you can do the airbrushes or not.

And regarding "not hurting the model"...make sure to ask her if she has any latex allergies first.  If she says no, I'd probably put something about no fault in the contract, just so she cant come back later and say "ohh, I got a rash the day after from it" or something equally stupid.

Nov 10 05 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I tried applying clear liquid latex with a sponge brush on a model, and then I tried adding a colored shimmery powder. It looked like crap to me.  The colored powder wasn't vivid enough for me. (I bought six colors, but they all looked almost exactly the same, so muted, and I knew they wouldn't show up on camera.)
The liquid latex was cold (don't know if I was supposed to microwave it or what), looked white, dried white where it was thicker and clear where it wasn't. No matter how thick or thin, it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted smooth bright colors, and instead I got clumpy white crap. (I know there are very immature people on here, myself included who just laughed at that last part of the sentence. Grow up!)
I want to do this right, because eventually more and more of my projects will incorporate bodypaint.

Nov 10 05 10:51 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Why not hire a body paint artist? You don't have to worry about safety, and the quality will be there. You can have your vision fulfilled and the model will have safety concerns fully taken care of.

Actually, the answers I've seen so far are a mixture of good and bad advice, I would listen to makeup artists on this one...or people who have experience with this. Latex in general is more risky and messy. I've heard of one guy spraying it on, but I don't get how myself unless he is using an airless sprayer which is NOT RECCOMENDED. I'd have concerns about spraying latex too, because it has an ammonia base and that means a TON of ammonia in the air when you spray and it evaporates...does not seem like a healthy idea to me.

Do some net searches, do your homework, and if you want to do it yourself...go for it. There are plenty of theatrical supply houses in the Bay area, especially SanFrancisco where you can get the goods. Oh, and FORGET the halloween stores...except for year round places that specialize in costuming for theaters and such...most of these carry nothing but goopy crap for makeup.

Many amateurs find it to be a creative and fun experience. If you want strong results for a professional level image, or if you have a corporate client in mind, give me a call.

Nov 11 05 12:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

http://store.tribalinkproducts.com/trinktetapa.html I found this one the other day
Anna

Nov 12 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

if you do't want to hurt the model make sure the area you are applying it to is well shaven . When you take it off it won't stick to any hair.

Nov 12 05 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Be aware that all liquid latex is not made for airbrush gun.. latex issticky and sticks to its self and make sure your model is not allergic to latex of you ,ight get one pissed model who's skin will not be happy. Ben nye makes a nice one you can just sponge it onto the skin. or paint it on.  happy painting ..Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Nov 12 05 10:31 pm Link