Forums > General Industry > comp cards

Model

Katie West

Toronto, Iowa, US

i was just wondering what exactly a comp card is? and what they're for? how important are they? etc.

May 14 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

That is a damn good question.....

The bigger question in my mind is what is the "proper layout" seeing there are millions of different styles you can do...

May 14 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

A comp card is what is given out in NY in the past that would allow you to get into clubs for free.  The ones to the Tunnel,  Mars,  the world, and Jackie-60 were great.

Also the comp cards for open bars were the best.  I brought my parents to an open bar once and my dad was amazed that we were getting top self for hours for free.

Ahhh,  those were the days..

I need to have a pink margarita with theda and listen to Strangelove by Depeche mode with Theda.

May 14 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Compcards... is the models business card.

Layouts, the basic layout is 4 pics on one side and one on the other. How important are they... a model w/o a comp is not a model. They are as important as portfolios.

May 14 05 10:18 pm Link

Model

Katie West

Toronto, Iowa, US

so you print a bunch and give them out like business cards hm? i see.

May 14 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Are serious replies allowed?  It's a big question and Brent makes a good point regarding layout also - though generally your agency will have some preferred layouts.  I certainly wouldn't get a comp until you have an agent as they'll want to be involved in the image selection.  Online modeling generally doesn't require comps.

Comps, Composites, Zeds, etc...
These are a model's calling card.  It is a doublsided cardstock, generally in color, double sided.  Usually one side has a single full shot and your name, agency logo, stats.  A headshot is a good selection for the single shot.  On the flip size are anywhere from two to four images (usually 3 or 4, depending on card layout).

There's some examples of these here:
http://www.digital-art-ifact.com/compcards.htm
(great prices on low volume runs)

You can google up a lot of examples, such as these:
http://www.modelcards.com/composite-card-sample1.html

Comparing them to a business card in theory is correct, though they are not the size of a business card.  HOWEVER, something fairly popular too (but not necessarily in replacement of the actual comp!) is the mini-comp.  Another example:
http://www.minicomps.net/

The mini-comps are cool because they're a whole lot cheaper and can be passed out on a set or location to more than just the person who directly hired you.  Get your name out and leave your calling card around.

May 14 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by marksora: 
A comp card is what is given out in NY in the past that would allow you to get into clubs for free.  The ones to the Tunnel,  Mars,  the world, and Jackie-60 were great.

Also the comp cards for open bars were the best.  I brought my parents to an open bar once and my dad was amazed that we were getting top self for hours for free.

Ahhh,  those were the days..

I need to have a pink margarita with theda and listen to Strangelove by Depeche mode with Theda.

Aye... and it wasn't too long ago I used to get comped all the time. I think I got old.

May 14 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

Katie West

Toronto, Iowa, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 
Are serious replies allowed?  It's a big question and Brent makes a good point regarding layout also - though generally your agency will have some preferred layouts.  I certainly wouldn't get a comp until you have an agent as they'll want to be involved in the image selection.  Online modeling generally doesn't require comps.

These are a model's calling card.  It is a doublsided cardstock, generally in color, double sided.  Usually one side has a single full shot and your name, agency logo, stats.  A headshot is a good selection for the single shot.  On the flip size are anywhere from two to four images (usually 3 or 4, depending on card layout).

thank you very much.

May 14 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

If you need a list of printers who specialize in printing ZedCard/Compcards, go to my website and click on the links page.

www.EricMuss-Barnes.com

May 14 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Katie West: 

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

thank you very much.

On the serious side,  he is right on with checking with your agency first.

May 14 05 11:06 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by Dax: 
Compcards... is the models business card.

Layouts, the basic layout is 4 pics on one side and one on the other. How important are they... a model w/o a comp is not a model. They are as important as portfolios.

I dont agree with this.  I've never had a comp card and I've done plenty of modeling, shoots, promotional events and other modeling events without one.  They might be important, but I dont think your modeling is going to go down the drain if you dont have one. lol

May 15 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

a model comp card is a necesary tool for the landbased models..its a standard 5.5inch x 8.5inches..it usually has a great headshot and 3 or 4 different looks on the back, also giving the models height and dimensions.

i have noticed models not giving thier age or weight anymore..

comp cards are susually the first visual a client gets of a model, if the model gets past the comp card review, she is called in for a "go-see" where she is interviewed and her portfolio book is reviewed..
at least thats how it works in my market..this is not to be confused with promotional modeling...

and yes, when a client asks to see you comp card..you better have one..

May 15 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
a model comp card is a necesary tool for the landbased models

..this is not to be confused with promotional modeling...

and yes, when a client asks to see you comp card..you better have one..

If you're hoping to work with major ad campaigns, indeed you better have a comp or you won't even be sent out for consideration.  This should not be confused with web modeling, promotional modeling, and men's magazine type assignments.  Think department store, cosmetics company, major corporation and etc.  Pick up the magazines on the lower shelf racks and skim them.  The models you will see have comps.

May 15 05 03:55 pm Link