Forums > Newbie Forum > CHICAGO MODELS CLICK HERE!

Model

Natalie7170

Schiller Park, Illinois, US

Hi all, Im new to the Industry Just wondering who else is out here from chicago. Lets  create our own network to share our stories/photographers who are best to work with etc

Natalia

Oct 18 05 09:43 am Link

Model

Therri Carleita

Chicago, Illinois, US

hey im  new to everything also and i live in chciago hit me back so we can connect

Oct 18 05 06:37 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

Who have you had your work done by>
Who is good to work with?

Oct 18 05 07:39 pm Link

Model

No name

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi ladies, I'm a Chicago gal! Nice to meet both of you!

elle

Oct 18 05 09:06 pm Link

Model

Jen

Chicago, Illinois, US

from chicago as well, hi!

Oct 18 05 10:16 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

Ok what is a good place to get sexy affordable clothing?

Oct 19 05 08:03 am Link

Model

LaurenS

Yay For Chicago!

If you guys want, check out this link directory website:

http://www.ChicagoTalents.Net.

It's just for those in Chicago's modeling industry, so maybe you can find a useful resource or a bit of advice. And you can promote your Model Mayhem profile in the directory or messageboard!

~Lauren

Oct 19 05 01:34 pm Link

Model

LaurenS

Natalie,

I love shopping in Lakeview; "Pink Frog" has some cool, sexy clothing that's not too expensive. Same with "Nevermind." I also have a listing of boutiques in the website mentioned in my last post (www.Chicagotalents.Net).

~Lauren

Oct 19 05 01:37 pm Link

Model

LaurenS

Sorry: Natalia.I called you Natalie (people always call me Laura).

Oct 19 05 01:38 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

O h its ok, I made the mistake of going to Victorias Secret today!

But Im going to look damn sexy in all my outfits smile
Question? for anyone ?
Q1. What is the ideal price you charge for your time/photos when you are just starting out?
Q2. Since I am new to all this for my first shoot it was hard to get all the poses/facial expressiongs...What are some tips that you ladies or men can advise.. ie do you think of naughty thougths etc...
Just curious

Oct 19 05 06:36 pm Link

Model

LaurenS

To be honest, you really should not be charging if you are just starting out. Until you get to the point where you can confidently say you know know to model, you should work on building your portfolio with images that properly display your features and movement.

As far as poses, acting definitely plays a key role when portraying emotions. If you have to think naughtly thoughts to get that face/look, then go for it! Before your photo shoot(s), spend all of your free time in front of the mirror. This might sound silly, but trust me: all the good models do this.

Pose in front of the mirror to see which angles look best on your body. When you take a picture, it is a flat surface as oppsoed to "real life" where everything is in 3D. With this said, the right angle can make you look skinnier than you actually are, but the wrong angle can make you look larger.

(And I'm sure everyone has a photo of themself where they thought "Damn, I look like an elephant in this photo: throw it away!" Well, bad angle!)

Also practice a variety of facial expressions. Do it 'til you're able to transition a sexy glamour face to a commercial happy face in one take. Make sure you are also conveying those expressions with your *eyes*. A model could have a smile on their face, but it will still look dead if the eyes look like a deer caught in headlights. Acting really comes into play since you have to convey those different emotions.

Also, when you shoot, make sure that the mood of your face makes sense with your pose. For example (and I know some may disagree with me), I just don't get it when I see a topless girl cupping her breasts and smiling like she's in a high school photo. Where in real life would you do that? If you're topless, I think it should be sexy face or looking off.

With your body, act natural/ comfortable in the setting as if you were hanging out with friends. Flip through magazines or browse agency websites for inspiration.

Keep in mind when you flip though mags that the models are trying to sell the clothing that they are wearing. No one is going to want to buy the clothes if the models look stiff. So, don't just stick a hand in your jean pocket and smile. Comfortably relax your arm at your side, and put your thumb in your belt loop, or something. Act like you are trying to sell your outfit; play with the clothing you are wearing.

If you're not wearing clothing, lie on the floor with a full length mirror since a lot of nude poses are shot like this. If you lie a certain way, you will see where the stomach skin can fold and look like fat. You will also find certain postions that will make you look damn good.

So, basically just get in front of the mirror and practice, practice, practice! The more experience you get, the more natural you will be with posing.

~Lauren

Oct 19 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

Jenna1029

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi everyone! im from chicago as well. just joined MM today.

Oct 19 05 08:51 pm Link

Model

LaurenS

Hi Jenna!

I saw you on Fusion Model; looking good!

http://www.fusionmodel.com/profiles/Jen … eJenna.htm

~Lauren

Oct 20 05 12:45 am Link

Model

Natalie7170

Thanks for all the Tips.
I know im full of questions but its better to know what Im getting into!
As far as make up and stylists do any of you ladies reccomend any.
I need one for a shoot

Oct 20 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Natalie7170 wrote:
O h its ok, I made the mistake of going to Victorias Secret today!

But Im going to look damn sexy in all my outfits smile
Question? for anyone ?
Q1. What is the ideal price you charge for your time/photos when you are just starting out?
Q2. Since I am new to all this for my first shoot it was hard to get all the poses/facial expressiongs...What are some tips that you ladies or men can advise.. ie do you think of naughty thougths etc...
Just curious

If I may be so bold as to speak up!:

first:  If you are just starting out (which you don't have a ton of stuff in your port) you should do as many tfp and tfcd shoots as you can.  Once you build up a strong portfolio, you should then start to contimplate your price for shoots.  Look around at other models ports (ones that are similar to yours) and charg similarly.
Second:  Facial expressions are easy and actually, as long as you have anything on your mind, it will show through in the eyes.  your thoughts don't have to be "naughty," they just have to be thoughts!!
Best,
T.
P.S.  U R Cute!

Oct 20 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

LaurenS wrote:
To be honest, you really should not be charging if you are just starting out. Until you get to the point where you can confidently say you know know to model, you should work on building your portfolio with images that properly display your features and movement.

As far as poses, acting definitely plays a key role when portraying emotions. If you have to think naughtly thoughts to get that face/look, then go for it! Before your photo shoot(s), spend all of your free time in front of the mirror. This might sound silly, but trust me: all the good models do this.

Pose in front of the mirror to see which angles look best on your body. When you take a picture, it is a flat surface as oppsoed to "real life" where everything is in 3D. With this said, the right angle can make you look skinnier than you actually are, but the wrong angle can make you look larger.

(And I'm sure everyone has a photo of themself where they thought "Damn, I look like an elephant in this photo: throw it away!" Well, bad angle!)

Also practice a variety of facial expressions. Do it 'til you're able to transition a sexy glamour face to a commercial happy face in one take. Make sure you are also conveying those expressions with your *eyes*. A model could have a smile on their face, but it will still look dead if the eyes look like a deer caught in headlights. Acting really comes into play since you have to convey those different emotions.

Also, when you shoot, make sure that the mood of your face makes sense with your pose. For example (and I know some may disagree with me), I just don't get it when I see a topless girl cupping her breasts and smiling like she's in a high school photo. Where in real life would you do that? If you're topless, I think it should be sexy face or looking off.

With your body, act natural/ comfortable in the setting as if you were hanging out with friends. Flip through magazines or browse agency websites for inspiration.

Keep in mind when you flip though mags that the models are trying to sell the clothing that they are wearing. No one is going to want to buy the clothes if the models look stiff. So, don't just stick a hand in your jean pocket and smile. Comfortably relax your arm at your side, and put your thumb in your belt loop, or something. Act like you are trying to sell your outfit; play with the clothing you are wearing.

If you're not wearing clothing, lie on the floor with a full length mirror since a lot of nude poses are shot like this. If you lie a certain way, you will see where the stomach skin can fold and look like fat. You will also find certain postions that will make you look damn good.

So, basically just get in front of the mirror and practice, practice, practice! The more experience you get, the more natural you will be with posing.

~Lauren

Very well said Lauren!!  smile

Rich

Oct 20 05 03:24 pm Link

Model

Ariesroses

Rolling Meadows, Illinois, US

From chicago land area sorta..more likely suburbs.  So hi!

Oct 20 05 03:49 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments

Natalia.

Oct 20 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

Welcome to the site!  Another local signing in. wink

Oct 20 05 04:44 pm Link

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

HI I live in Chicago I am also new to MM. I have worked with one photographer. He is very good. I will have more opinion s later seeing as I will be working with 20+ others in the near future.

Oct 21 05 12:03 am Link

Model

Brianne Leigh

Crown Point, Indiana, US

Hi, I'm new as well and do most of my work out of Chicago, I'm just across the border.  Great shots! 

Bria

Oct 22 05 08:15 am Link

Photographer

MR Shawn Darnell

Detroit, Michigan, US

i love the models from chi town anyone from there wanna come to detroit to shoot holla at me.

Oct 24 05 07:48 am Link

Model

Natalie7170

hello everyone, took new shots ! so exited as soon as i can will post them up and would like feedback.
Q. Did you ladies or men notice that what certain photographers its soooo easy and comfortable to shoot with? Others NOT AT ALL!
Wow,

Oct 24 05 09:06 am Link

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

Hello. I am from Chicago and just starting out also.

Oct 24 05 11:02 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

hi to all you new models. So i was looking at all the portfolios or trying to and  I dont see much vintage? Thats odd. Do any of you know of any

NATALIA

Oct 25 05 01:12 am Link

Model

LaurenS

There are a lot of great MUA's in Chicago. You can find some, here on Model Mayhem, and there also a bunch listed on the Chicago Talents site http://www.ChicagoTalents.net (sorry i keep plugging that site, but it's an answer to the questions). Two of my of my faves that I have worked with are here on Model Mayhem as numbers 21852 and 3856:

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=21852

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3856

Getting comfortable with photographers is something that will come with experience. But you are right that you will find that you just "click" with some more than others, just like you do everyday with various people that you meet.

What type of vintage are you looking for? In the same area where "Pink Frog" and "Nevermind" (from my previous post) are located, there are a few great vintage shops. Stop by "The Alley" and "Ragstock." In Lakeview, at Belmont and Clark.

~Lauren

Oct 25 05 02:17 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

i am from Chicago

Oct 25 05 04:58 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

dont know yet, I have an image in my head and will check out those stores,

Thanks again

Oct 26 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Natalie7170

Have not posted for a while just wanted to say hello
So i became an ebay addict and just wanted to share!

You can get cute inexpensive outfits there wow
I wish I would have known sooner!
I have 3 shoots coming up !cant wait!
just need a mua if anyone is out there inexpensive or tfp let me know

Anyhow just wanted to let all know

Nov 26 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Falaah Shabazz

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello My fellow windy city  people (cold out HUH?) Just wanted to stop in and say hello, I see some beautiful ladies in hear and would love to meet you all in person one day. Till Then stay strong, stay pround, beautiful and safe but most of all don't get FAT.

Falaah Shabazz
312-602-3420

Nov 26 05 10:01 am Link

Model

none of your business

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hey I agree with you we should build a network. I live in Chicago and I am just getting started, and would love the advice.

Nov 26 05 11:55 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Welcome to MM! smile

Here are some links you may find useful--

Model Mayhem's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/faq.php

Model-Specific Questions & Answers ("Model Matters"):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/threads.php?forum_id=9

Want advice or feedback on your work?  ("Critique"):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/threads.php?forum_id=8