Forums > General Industry > Models!! What do you bring to the table?

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

Apr 11 05 11:05 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Apr 11 05 11:07 pm Link

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

Apr 11 05 11:15 pm Link

Model

Andrea Leigh

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Apr 11 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Apr 11 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

dana lloyd kehr

Tacoma, Washington, US

Apr 11 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Rothman

Oak Park, Illinois, US

Apr 12 05 12:08 am Link

Model

Alexia

Claremore, Oklahoma, US

Apr 12 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Apr 12 05 12:31 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Apr 12 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm going to be very basic here and simply say that the best thing a model can bring to a shoot is a head full of ideas and the ability to strike more than just a few compelling poses.

Working with a model who needs only general direction is always a joy.

Apr 12 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

aS A PHOTOGRAPHER, AND ONCE A MODEL..I can say this.. when I get a model in fron tof the camera who can "turn it on".. I have a blast... I simply go into capture mode, with a few bits of direction from time to time.... When I work with a new model, I go into directors mode...I am very encouaging and thoughtful..I think of the pose I am looking for, or a way to modify what the model is trying to do....I enjoy both types of shoot greatly. They have different chalenges and rewards.

Communication is key regardless...The best thing to do as a model is to be clear of your expectations, dont be afraid to be creative and spontaneous....HAVE FUN!

Photogrpahers...Same..

happy shooting...

Vance

Apr 13 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Attitude is everything and communication is the key!  Good communication before the shoot -- responding to emails and returning phone calls -- paves the way. 

Take some of that energy wasted on being a diva and/or drama queen and invest it in research and ideas.  Show up for the shoot ON TIME, well rested, positive, open, and enthusiastic.

Apr 13 05 09:04 am Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Ha!
For one,ignore the crap people have to say about you...only those who know you and have worked with you know who and what you are;)
I give it my all,and even if I really am not feeling it..I still go all out.
Not to mention styling and wardrobe suited for the shoot....
You have to love what you do is all...

Apr 13 05 09:08 am Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

Hmm.
I think it's important you are comfortable, and you know your body, how your face looks and the expressions you're making. Knowing how to move, and what looks good and what doesn't look good (stomach in, chest out. heh) It's important that the photog and the model work together to create good images. Also, don't bring your baggage (emotional) to shoots, turn your cell ringer off unless someone may burn down a building or have a baby. Show up on time, of course, be ready to rock, know what the photog is expecting of you and know what you expect of him. I like to ask a lot of questions before I go to a shoot so I am prepared. And remember modeling isn't just moving your body it's using your face also. We've many muscles there, don't let them go to waste :p

Apr 13 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Jane Burgess

Tempe, Arizona, US

I think it is important to be reliable, on time, ready to work, and have a good personality. I alos think it helps to know how to do your own hair and make-up for a shoot. I know a lot of photographers that complain about models not knowing how to move. They keep posing the same way.

Apr 16 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

emac

Escondido, California, US

Attitude IS everything.

from everyone on set. If the model comes in sick, or tired, or cranky, or distracted by phone calls from her boyfriend or sister, it'll take away from the whole shoot.

I feel it's important for us to feel like a team. The shot counts on everyone there.

I've seen so many models "get tired" after a few hours. They lose their enthusiasm, they get lazy, and you can tell they're just going through the motions.

I'd say one of the best things you can bring to the table, is an understanding that everyone there is working just as hard as the model.
The photographers moving around finding the best shots while going back and forth between the art director and his crew,
the art director is freaking out half the time, because the client doesn't really know if what's happening is really what he's looking for,
hair and make-up are talking to their friends and reading magazines- no I mean keeping an eye out for fly-aways or shine, or working on the next model/look,
the assistants are busting their asses keeping the details in line,
and the DJ and bartender are working hard, too ;-)

So in the middle of all this if you get a little tired, or get sick of holding your face in a certain emotion, or you don't like the pose, then try to remember: If you decide to stop, it's just going to f*** up the rest of your team.

I swear I'm not venting...

Apr 16 05 02:54 am Link

Model

Linda Loca

Buchanan, Michigan, US

I say ya bring to the table a bottle of Jack and some sweet, sweet leaf. :p j/k!  Be yourself, relax, stay focused, treat everyone as equals. Engage your coworkers on the job in conversation - find a common interest. Let your sense of humor rip - that usually breaks tension. And stay out of the way of the photog and his/her assistant(s). Honestly, I've never had a realy bad shoot in my entire career. Runway shows, however... katty - meeeowww - well, that's another topic for another day.

Apr 16 05 03:40 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

What do I bring to a shoot?
-3 yrs costuming experience (Yes, all the costumes in my pictures I've made and more.)
-3 yrs acting experience (Right now I don't have enough pictures up to display the range of emotions I can do, but I've been known to run the gammut easily.)
-2 yrs modeling experience (and still going)
-Intermediate make-up techinques (and still learning)
And...
-Intermediate Photoshop and Web Design Knowledge

Yeah...I don't pack light. *LOL*

Apr 20 05 11:37 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

I bring alot..some salad,maybe greens, jk. I am a very fun and enthusiastic  model. Very determine and driven. I love collaboration and different settings. Try me and you'll see.

Apr 20 05 11:39 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

A good shoot, is a shoot where both parties get portfolio material. That is always my objective when shooting.

When I shoot, I always am on time, eager, interested - etc

But I also have have access to extreme waredrobe that is unique - and locations that are one of a kind to add a real edge to a shoot.

Apr 21 05 07:20 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

T & A, a little latex and a good sense of humor.

Apr 21 05 08:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Susi: 
T & A, a little latex and a good sense of humor.

I'll agree with that... A good sense of humor is a major plus (a major major plus with me).   

A humble model that does not describe herself other than her stats is nice too... It shows professionalism and humble nature. A photographer, stylist, paying client etc.. can already tell if a model is pretty or not and can usually look at a photo and decide for themselves if they like the model's look.  No need to be boastful. They don't need to listen to the cat lick it's self all day.

Apr 21 05 08:55 am Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

Creativity, the ability to take direction, the ability to collaborate with a photographer on ideas, poses, etc.  I feel a good model should be on time for a shoot.  For me, breaks during shoots are out of the question unless the photographer feels the need for it.  I also try not to be too serious during a shoot, it takes some of the fun out of it.  If you love what you do, it shows in your photos!

Apr 21 05 08:57 am Link

Model

Simply Sonya

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think a GOOD model brings a variety to the table.  The ability to be easy to work with, great attitude & personality, takes his/her job seriously & have some beautiful physical attributes!  The photog in turn gets stunning images that are usable.  Overall - they each can recommend work for one another!  Its a win - win situation!

Apr 21 05 10:13 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

A good model brings versatility and the ability to portray various moods. A good model is comfortable with him/herself and projecting for the camera.

I bring a set of sharp hipbones and a sharper tongue. I also have a huge wardrobe and do mmy own styling and most of my own make-up. I often throw in my 2 cents about art direction, too. Some photographers like that. Some don't.

Apr 21 05 11:11 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

A lot of it has already been covered: the personality/attitude/charima, the desire to produce good images and have fun, professionalism, etc.

I always keep my eyes open- I really look at ads in magazines, tear out ones that contain interesting poses or looks, study makeup and hair, etc. I scour thrift stores for interesting items to shoot in or bring with me, and I'm always thinking about locations or concepts that would be cool. I love looking at other models' profiles, to see what others are doing right; as a dancer, it's something I'm used to doing in class, and it's fascinating to me to see what other models are shooting (and posting).

Apr 23 05 06:17 pm Link