Forums > General Industry > Model;s presentations

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

Some of the stuff models post on the board, mostly newbies,m is god awful with horribly bad pix,bad stats and poor comments. Please kids, if you have anything at all to offer then there are photographers out there who will do a TFP shoot so you can put up a decent portfolio. Just remember TFP is a two way street, both model and photographer must benefit from it. I get a laugh out of the people who post a stupid mess and day they are looking for paid work--no sane photohtapher would ever undertake to pay to hire a model who shows a nothing portfolio.

May 13 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

this is not just a characterisitc of just the online models..i have seen some really bad work from photographers and MUAs as well...

May 13 05 01:16 pm Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Posted by Frank Hart: 
Some of the stuff models post on the board, mostly newbies,m is god awful with horribly bad pix,bad stats and poor comments. Please kids, if you have anything at all to offer then there are photographers out there who will do a TFP shoot so you can put up a decent portfolio. Just remember TFP is a two way street, both model and photographer must benefit from it. I get a laugh out of the people who post a stupid mess and day they are looking for paid work--no sane photohtapher would ever undertake to pay to hire a model who shows a nothing portfolio. 

If you don't like it then don't look.. it is the internet, what do you expect?

May 13 05 01:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

:::Reese starts viewing other MUA work:::

May 13 05 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 
:::Reese starts viewing other MUA work:::

ugh its not polite to talk about reese when she can hear you..
i mean...see you typing...

May 13 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
this is not just a characterisitc of just the online models..i have seen some really bad work from photographers and MUAs as well...

No! Only models! Models are bad!

May 13 05 02:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

:::Reese gets dumb doe eye look::::

"Huh?  Me... wha??? Damn it...I resemble that comment!"

:::wounded:::

::::dies::::

:::No one comes to funeral::::

May 13 05 02:31 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Aww. c'mon Reese. I'd go to your funeral.  I'd put the "fun" back in it.

May 13 05 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

:::perks up a little:::

Okay...  better that everyone celebrates my death than not even recognize I died at all...

May 13 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

"If you don't like it then don't look.. it is the internet, what do you expect?"
----------------------------

Hummmm, That's it!! All these years I've been hurting my eyes looking and the answer to this dreaded affliction was right there in front of me all the time! What brilliance!

Now that I know this I don't have to actually view anyone's work anymore, I'll just read their resume and make my decision based on what they say. Although I'll have to restrain myself from my stupid habit of viewing their work first. What a novel idea, why didn't I think of this, sheesh.

Thank goodness a young future leader of America has such fresh ideas. God Bless America!

May 13 05 03:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

There is no way to please everyone...

May 13 05 03:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 
There is no way to please everyone...

Which is why you should all focus on pleasing ME.

May 13 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Frank Hart: 

I dont see anything wrong with people finding a channel for their dreams... plus today's ugly duckling can often change (have you ever seen early photos of demi moore or sharon stone for crying out loud??)... plus this site isnt presenting itself as a hard core serious modelling photog site. It's a relaxed reasonably friendly start for many young models brought up on the internet to get an idea of how the world is.

May 13 05 03:28 pm Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Posted by GLAMOUR STUDIO: 
"If you don't like it then don't look.. it is the internet, what do you expect?"
----------------------------

Hummmm, That's it!! All these years I've been hurting my eyes looking and the answer to this dreaded affliction was right there in front of me all the time! What brilliance!

Now that I know this I don't have to actually view anyone's work anymore, I'll just read their resume and make my decision based on what they say. Although I'll have to restrain myself from my stupid habit of viewing their work first. What a novel idea, why didn't I think of this, sheesh.

Thank goodness a young future leader of America has such fresh ideas. God Bless America!

lol.

May 13 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Hey Chelsea, I had to do it. I couldn't resist the opportunity. I'm glad u took it the way is was meant. wink

May 13 05 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Chelsea: 
it is the internet, what do you expect? 

BINGO!

May 13 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted By Reese, VA . MUA:

Woohoo!

Necrophelia - Because Dead Girls Can't Say "No."

Posted By Frank Hart:
I get a laugh out of the people who post a stupid mess and say they are looking for paid work.

I agree. And I also respect models who say they only do TFP with "exceptional photographers" or the like. I don't blame them. And I'm embarassed to admit that I've been turned down by some of those models. And that doesn't bother me. I'm not offended when it happens. But, it's only the best-of-the-best who turn me down. The ones who truly do NOT need my work to help their already-awesome portfolios.

But if someone has a bunch or crap photos, and expects only paid work, that is laughable. And VERY common. They don't turn me down, because I never contact them in the first place. (snicker)

Posted By theda:

I do. When I'm not charming Reese, my whole world revolves around you.

May 13 05 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 

Woohoo!

Necrophelia - Because Dead Girls Can't Say "No."

Posted By Frank Hart:
I get a laugh out of the people who post a stupid mess and say they are looking for paid work.

I agree. And I also respect models who say they only do TFP with "exceptional photographers" or the like. I don't blame them. And I'm embarassed to admit that I've been turned down by some of those models. And that doesn't bother me. I'm not offended when it happens. But, it's only the best-of-the-best who turn me down. The ones who truly do NOT need my work to help their already-awesome portfolios.

But if someone has a bunch or crap photos, and expects only paid work, that is laughable. And VERY common. They don't turn me down, because I never contact them in the first place. (snicker)

Posted By theda:

I am easily charmed... In fact, buy me dinner and my grandmother will have sex with you on our first date.

May 16 05 02:12 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
I am easily charmed... In fact, buy me dinner and my grandmother will have sex with you on our first date.

Hot.

May 16 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
Aww. c'mon Reese. I'd go to your funeral.  I'd put the "fun" back in it.

Beware Theda,  at my funeral I will require all to wear lame angel wings and color.  And pink does not count.

May 16 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted By theda:

I wanted to say this before but Get in line!!!!!

May 16 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted By theda:
Hot.

I agree, Theda.

Totally hot, Reese. I loves me some older wimmin'. Especially you Celtic chinks. "Me love you long time!"

Posted By marksora:
I wanted to say this before but Get in line!!!!!

(Butch just rode with Etta on his bicycle)
Sundance Kid: Hey, what are you doin'?
Butch Cassidy: Stealin' your woman?
Sundance Kid: ...Take her. (sigh) ... Take her.
Butch Cassidy: Well, you're a romantic bastard, I'll give you that.

May 16 05 08:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Theda and I are taking over ModelMayhem...  You people are either with us - or against us !

Note: We are offering a lovely 401K plan and oustanding dental and medical to those who join us, as well select planned group functions. Company cars are issued to group leaders only though...

May 17 05 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Craig Hildebrand

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I think I need to jump in here... I don't think that we need to be "squashing" peoples dreams here, however, when I see the single webcam shot paired with "pay only"... it does sort of make my blood boil.  I often have to control myself to keep from sending them a nasty message about getting real, and investing in thier career.  Just my two cents.

-Craig

May 17 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Craig Hildebrand: 
I think I need to jump in here... I don't think that we need to be "squashing" peoples dreams here, however, when I see the single webcam shot paired with "pay only"... it does sort of make my blood boil.  I often have to control myself to keep from sending them a nasty message about getting real, and investing in thier career.  Just my two cents.

-Craig

craig is the one that squahed my modeling career dreams, he told me he didn't think i was pretty enough to model..

so now i take the the photographs instead....

hey craig, howya doin..wink

May 17 05 08:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Craig Hildebrand: 

-Craig

craig is the one that squahed my modeling career dreams, he told me he didn't think i was pretty enough to model..

so now i take the the photographs instead....

hey craig, howya doin..wink

Doug, I don't know what you look like, but I am sure you are pretty enough to model.

May 17 05 08:47 am Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm going to re-post this here from another thread, seems appropriate.....

Well I just read another model's profile and continue to be amazed at the fact that many new models (esp. in small markets) (who won't even shoot sheer, nevermind implied), only accept paying shoots.

Let me make this clear. If you only work with paying photographers, and you're lucky enough to get all the images from the shoot (many photographers do not give the models the high-res images from shoots where the model is paid) AND you are fortunate enough that the work is amazing, even then, how many paid shoots a year will you get portfolio-worthy images from ?

My humble suggestion is this; Open yourselves up to more tfp with the BEST possible photographers that will work with you. Then market yourself with the 5 best images from that test shoot. Then find a better photographer with your hot new images, then do an even better shoot. Do this 5 times to get time in front of the camera AND hot images. THEN get on your high horse and accept paid shoots only.

Like most other photographers, it took me years to get where I am now, and the first 2 years of shooting, I had a full time job cutting lawns to make money to buy used camera equipment.

The whole thing is a long process requiring time, patience, effort and money. And yes, same goes true with photographers, stylists, etc. This is not being said because someone wants to take advantage of you and get you to shoot for free, this is help y'all out.

Just my humble opinion. That and a token will get you a ride on the subway.

May 17 05 08:49 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

eric,
i have to agree with you on that one. and stop giving out the secret of how to get good images.  *snicker*

i am always willing to do tfp that is mutually beneficial or for some specific purpose (publication, client test, etc).

Z

May 17 05 08:56 am Link