Forums > General Industry > Pros and cons

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

In your opinion what are the pro's and cons of a model having her own website?

May 13 05 12:03 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by kavonna: 

It depends upon the site and what the model is attempting to achieve.

In other words, there are no pros or cons per se.

A website is a tool. It's like asking, "What are the pros and cons of owning a hammer?"

Well, there are no pros or cons to owning a hammer. It all depends upon your needs and what you want to do with it. If you want to take a bubblebath, the hammer is useless. If you want to roof a house, it becomes very benifical.

So, the question is, what do you want to do with your modeling career?

Do you want to be a commercial model and follow in the footsteps of Kate Moss and Trish Goff? Then a website isn't very important. You don't need one. Instead, you need to hire some photographers to get a nice portfolio together and walk your butt into some agencies.

Do you want to be an adult/nudie internet model with her own pay website? Then, obviously, a well-designed site is important.

Do you want to be a hobbist model who makes an extra $2000 a year modeling for fine art photographers and GWCs? Again, a site can be very beneficial.

So, it all depends upon your goals and aspirations and what you are attempting to attain.

If you DO get a site, make it a good site. Spend the money to have your own domain. Hire a designer or buy some nice HTML templates. Don't get some free Geocities site or free Yahoo site. That just looks tacky and cheap. Remember - you do NOT need to be a "professional" model, but even if you are a hobbist doing this for fun, you should present yourself with some professionalism.

May 13 05 12:51 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 

Posted by kavonna: 

It depends upon the site and what the model is attempting to achieve.

In other words, there are no pros or cons per se.

A website is a tool. It's like asking, "What are the pros and cons of owning a hammer?"

Well, there are no pros or cons to owning a hammer. It all depends upon your needs and what you want to do with it. If you want to take a bubblebath, the hammer is useless. If you want to roof a house, it becomes very benifical.

So, the question is, what do you want to do with your modeling career?

I would like to be a career model, so a site isn't all that important than.

May 13 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by kavonna: 
I would like to be a career model, so a site isn't all that important than.

In my opinion, no. Not that important.

Others may disagree with me and give you other opinions. But, in my opinion, if you want to be a career model, deriving 100% of your living-wage from modeling - then my advice is to use the web to find some good photographers. Pay them. Pay a makeup artist. Pay a stylist. Get a nice book of photos together. Once you do that, use the Internet to do some research on getting agency representation. Then do the legwork.

The Internet has created a new paradigm for hobbist models and photographers to connect and work together. Many facets of this paradigm are very impressive and professional-looking. Therefore, many Internet models and photographers succumb to the misconception that a hobby where they make an extra $100 a week is a "profession" operating on the same level as commercial modeling and photography. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that way.

I did.

And I'm still trying to climb out of it, with the ambition of being a "real" photographer.

May 13 05 01:47 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

If it's not on the internet it doesn't exist. Find me ONE major model who DOESN'T have a website. Though it is good to have representation is there such a thing as having too many avenues of promotion?

The real question is one only YOU can answer. Do you WANT a website? If yes then get one. If no don't. =o)

May 15 05 07:03 am Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by kavonna: 

It's a great tool for amateur and Internet models.  Professional models have representation and they are listed by their agency and the clients that hire them obtain information about them through the agency site.  Big commercial clients are not surfing around the OMP's, and they're not looking for www.suzimodel.com

Do big models have websites?  Sure... but for different reasons than the Internet model does.

May 15 05 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

Bend over..touch your toes and get paid ASAP.

Just kidding. Opening a personal website will lead you down a different road. Trust me, I have seen it time and time again.

May 16 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by kavonna: 

The pros:
*More exposure
*Looks/sounds professional when you can say "you can see   my bio, stats, and resume on my site"
*If it has a member's section, you can make money. (I make about $200-$400 a month extra because of my site!)

The cons:
*It can cost money to get started
*You HAVE to keep it updated or your fans will get bored (which is a con for some, but I enjoy updating the pics on my site)

If you like mine, I'll tell you more about who I went through.  Also, look at it again in about a week when I add more features, including flash and video clips!
www.AllAboutWendi.com

May 16 05 11:58 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Wendi Meece: 

Posted by kavonna: 

The pros:
*More exposure
*Looks/sounds professional when you can say "you can see   my bio, stats, and resume on my site"
*If it has a member's section, you can make money. (I make about $200-$400 a month extra because of my site!)

The cons:
*You HAVE to keep it updated or your fans will get bored (which is a con for some, but I enjoy updating the pics on my site)

If you like mine, I'll tell you more about who I went through.  Also, look at it again in about a week when I add more features, including flash and video clips!
www.AllAboutWendi.com

I do like your site wendy but i have no where near all of the accomplishements as you, and no where near the pics

May 17 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by kavonna: 
I do like your site wendy but i have no where near all of the accomplishements as you, and no where near the pics

Your site is like your calling card. Plus as you develop a following it gives your fans somewhere to find you regularly. Put a forum on it and really have fun. It's keeps them connected. Plus it's a fun place to post behind the scenes shots and things like that. You'd be very surprised at how many people LOVE that sort of stuff.

May 17 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

I personally think a website will lead you in a different direction. I KNOW what your body looks like and know people will want to see more and more of the body so as those requests grow stronger, it would lead you down the internet model road and away from the agency model road.

Some models manage to do both though.

May 17 05 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 
  Big commercial clients are not surfing around the OMP's, and they're not looking for www.suzimodel.com
Do big models have websites?  Sure... but for different reasons than the Internet model does.

Big commercial clients..
They are not human..
Wait!! Maybe we are not human!!
They do not know how to search the web..
And forbid they would actualy sit in front of a puter and look at sites like this!!
And be like us??

Because we are the only planet with life in the universe!!

Do big models have websites?  Sure...
They are for Grandmothers and Stalkers..Cause we know no Big commercial client would ever look at a webpage!!

The Most calls for Phone sex come from the Pentagon!!
And you can bet your butt they are lookin at your web page!!
In between calls!!!

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
You'd be very surprised at how many people LOVE that sort of stuff.

May 17 05 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

K,

Check your MM email under "my stuff."

May 17 05 08:07 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen ©: 
Big commercial clients..
They are not human..
Wait!! Maybe we are not human!!
They do not know how to search the web..
And forbid they would actualy sit in front of a puter and look at sites like this!!

Ah the Internet!  LOL
I'm booking for an ad for Proctor & Gamble today.  I sure hope they don't fire their ad agency that contacts the agents for talent.......  Let's hope they don't discover the Internet!!!!  LOL LOL

May 17 05 08:17 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by kavonna: 

It's a great tool for amateur and Internet models.  Professional models have representation and they are listed by their agency and the clients that hire them obtain information about them through the agency site.  Big commercial clients are not surfing around the OMP's, and they're not looking for www.suzimodel.com

The big commercial clients have agents, and those agents look at OMP!

Ross Grogan, Producer of The Weekend Flash Playboy Entertainment, Inc, wrote me on OMP and Hugh and I drove down to L.A. for an interview. It was the real deal, security guards and everything! But I wasn't ready for that I did not know what I was getting into but the point is--there are people looking at us! And when I posted my travel notifications on OMP a lot of tv shows in LA wanted me for their date shows and stuff.

May 17 05 08:18 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by DreamPretty: 

Posted by kavonna: 

The big commercial clients have agents, and those agents look at OMP!

Ross Grogan, Producer of The Weekend Flash Playboy Entertainment, Inc, wrote me on OMP and Hugh and I drove down to L.A. for an interview. It was the real deal, security guards and everything! But I wasn't ready for that I did not know what I was getting into but the point is--there are people looking at us! And when I posted my travel notifications on OMP a lot of tv shows in LA wanted me for their date shows and stuff.

So what you are saying is I should just stick to keeping my profiles up on different modeling sites?

May 17 05 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Pros - Great exposure, and could be what gets you noticed.
Cons - None really if you do it right.

Need help with it, Let me know.
Since It seems that my comments bring out the worse in some people, please message me direct to discuss, and I will even provide you with samples where websites have helped a model "make it".

May 17 05 08:58 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I have a website and it is good.  I am sure it will be very handy.  It was a little time consuming getting it up, the domain etc., but in the long run it is well worth it.  At least you have your own personal space to send a potential client.  The only bad thing about your own website is that you HAVE to keep it updated at all times.  Sometimes it is hard getting the person who made it to get it done, but you have to try to learn also because you can't always depend on someone else to get your site updated at all times.  I have been pretty lucky in that aspect, but...I do know it does happen.  But I think it is good to have your own website and it IS another investment in your modeling.  If you take your modeling profession really serious I think it is something that you should do. 

McKenzie

May 17 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by kavonna: 

So Which Are you? Professional Or Amateur Austin.

Why are you here if the only thing here are Amateurs that can not make it to pro or whatever?

You are a hypocrit!
If you are here, and you really have an agency, then either you are looking for talent on the web, or you are trolling for some other nefarious purpose.

If you are looking for talent, and are using the web, Then why would you discourage models from using the web?

That makes about as much sense as....

May 17 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Most of the "agencies" I see here are full of advice and expertise, but if you look at their portfolios they have the most god awfull photos in the world.

May 17 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Why are you here ... ?

I'm here for you, Tyrone.

May 17 05 01:18 pm Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by kavonna: 

Posted by Wendi Meece: 

Posted by kavonna: 

The pros:
*More exposure

The cons:

www.AllAboutWendi.com

And there is nothing wrong with that!  Everyone in the modeling business knows that everyone has to start SOMEWHERE!  Check out my friends site, www.ILoveKristina also.  She doesn't have the experience that I do, but makes just as much money off of her site as well!

May 17 05 01:38 pm Link