Forums > General Industry > Is it fair for a photographer to ask about augmentation?

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

Scenario: I have a client and a model working with me to promote a product. The product is a vitamin creme and they want to promote a wholesome look and therefore a model (personally chosen) is deemed "perfect" for the job. Contracts presented, but just before signing, client contacts me and asks me if model has been augmented (ugh). I have no idea, and am afraid to ask, but if said model has the augmentation, client refuses to contract her for work.

First of all, is that fair? And second, has any model/photographers experienced this in the past ? I wouldn't be asking but the client is paying a hefty sum for the model (and me).

Thanks in advance.

May 11 05 06:13 pm Link

Model

Myla Chenoa

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If the client wants natural, then it's fair.

May 11 05 06:14 pm Link

Model

Rhonda1977

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I think it's fair...I wouldn't be offended if i was asked.

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

been what? I'm sorry for being thick but what is augmentation!?

Model

Myla Chenoa

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Boob job

May 11 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

ahh ok i thought it was going to be worse. and no thats fair although i guess it doesnt really matter if u can;t tell occasionally a boob job looks ok

May 11 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by Kevin Greggain: 
Scenario: I have a client and a model working with me to promote a product. The product is a vitamin creme and they want to promote a wholesome look and therefore a model (personally chosen) is deemed "perfect" for the job. Contracts presented, but just before signing, client contacts me and asks me if model has been augmented (ugh). I have no idea, and am afraid to ask, but if said model has the augmentation, client refuses to contract her for work.

First of all, is that fair? And second, has any model/photographers experienced this in the past ? I wouldn't be asking but the client is paying a hefty sum for the model (and me).

Thanks in advance.

Is the product selling a means to enlagre breast, could be seen as false advertisiment if the model is not natural. Trust me someone when seeing the ad will write in and ask if the model is natural.....crazy as it may seems it happens

May 11 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Pretty standard request for a commercial job.

May 11 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

I have a hard time asking a model if she had augmentation. I look at them and if they look normal, or proportioned, who cares ? If she had 76HHH then it would be pretty easy to find out but if she looks natural (to me), it doesn't matter to me.

This is the first client that has done this to me. Sadly, the model went from A-C and therefore will not be used for the shoot. It sucks because she is a perfect fit.

May 11 05 06:45 pm Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My personal opinion...if you can't tell, why should it matter?!?!

May 11 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

Posted by Wendi Meece: 

But is the client selling a product that will give you larger breast, is my impression of the product and if she didn;t achieve this with their product..it's false advertisement

May 11 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Wendi Meece: 

you can always tell..

i shoot bikini stock and the photo buyers both happen to be women..i cant sell an image that has fake boobs..so my casting say no augmentation..

i have asked models about fake boobs, dyed hair, tatoos, piercings and pubic hair..

nothing is out of bounds when your trying to sell the models appearance..for lingerie and swimwear...

May 11 05 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

The cream is like a skin re-vitalizer. It is nto a breast enlargement cream. Does that crap even work ?? What if a guy spilled that on himself.. Would he need a bra ? smile

May 11 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

This is the first client that has done this to me. Sadly, the model went from A-C and therefore will not be used for the shoot. It sucks because she is a perfect fit.

Totally and completely fine and acceptable to ask the model. The customer is always right. If the client wants natural, they have every right to ask.

However...

I will say this - the client is being rude and shitty if they were aware of the model being chosen and accept her for the shoot, and right before the contracts are signed, they baulk because she might have bolt-ons. They should have mentioned it BEFORE any model was picked. Pretty lame of them to bring it up at the last minute.

May 11 05 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Like what - attached plumbing?

Thats great - you made me laugh.... thanks

Posted by sarahlouise: 
ahh ok i thought it was going to be worse. and no thats fair although i guess it doesnt really matter if u can;t tell occasionally a boob job looks ok

May 11 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Ask away.... or just look... you can easily tell...

Or if the model walks in and takes her top of in 5 minutes - they are more than likely bolt on's - and she is a proud owner..

I have never not asked - it is a question on my interview paperwork

May 11 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Of course it's a legit and perfectly normal question, especially if you're hiring her. You're paying for all of her aren't you? Would you hire a blonde if the client wants a brunette?

No matter how good the boob job looks doesn't matter. Saying you can't tell or no will ever notice holds no truth whatsoever. Some will not notice, many in this biz will and that just doesn't cut it.

May 11 05 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

Two part answer:

It's often VERY important.  For example some clothes just work better with implants.  Wicked Weasel comes immediately to mind.

That's why there's this thing that's known as a "go see."  If the client doesn't take advantage of "going and seeing" the prospective models before the job, the client doesn't have a lot of room to complain about the model selection.

May 11 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

What's wrong with asking if her boobs are fake?

May 11 05 11:47 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ask away. There's nothing wrong with asking a model about possible plastic surgery.

May 12 05 12:29 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Thanks in advance.

Personally I prefer not working with models who are augmented. I just like natural myself. Is it fair. Yes if your project requires one or the other. As Alex stated there could be other legal concerns. And you didn't post what type of campaign you are shooting so it's hard to say one way or another in this case.

There COULD also be legal concerns in regards to discrimination but that is a whole nother subject. What this sounds like to me is a clear cut case of what happens when all parties do not communicate their needs clearly.

I have always asked such specific and sometimes seemingly stupid questions. Even such as do you want her to be shaved, trimmed or hair down there depending on what I am shooting. Saves me and the model a great deal of embarassment.

So in closing my dissertation I would say in kind with many others do not be afraid to ask. Just do so respectfully and not how that perv EricMB would. LOL

May 12 05 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
There COULD also be legal concerns in regards to discrimination but that is a whole nother subject. 

Not even sure it could be that.  This is the nature of the business.  Example: We received a print casting notice today.  The client wants strictly Latino/Hispanic models (all ages and types - this is not an Internet glamour thing).  This is the 4th time for a casting from the same client for the same ethnic type only.  If modeling was not modeling and it was a factory, office, or other type of job, they could not get away with that.  By the nature of this business, however, one can specify everything down to the exact look of a person, their age, their eye color, ethnic type/skin, or even their religion. It can, and does happen.  In fact, it happens in almost every job - as the client specifies exactly what they want to see for their final image.

May 12 05 12:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Photography and modeling are all about appearence. I would say it's very fair...

May 12 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Like it or not the client rules.

May 12 05 01:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

It has to be asked if your going to be modeling very small swim suits.  Most of the augmentation I have seen looks fake (especially on really thin models)  It's a turn off to a lot of people and I have a few clients that ask....I know a model that just lost a big job for a line of clothing because she looks like she has a couple of beach balls balanced on her bony chest.  This isn't a good look in my opinion smile  I think people are getting away from this look, natural is back in.

I don't want to insult all the models that have implants, I have seen some good ones but most I have seen look fake.

May 12 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
There COULD also be legal concerns in regards to discrimination but that is a whole nother subject. 

Not even sure it could be that.  This is the nature of the business.  Example: We received a print casting notice today.  The client wants strictly Latino/Hispanic models (all ages and types - this is not an Internet glamour thing).  This is the 4th time for a casting from the same client for the same ethnic type only.  If modeling was not modeling and it was a factory, office, or other type of job, they could not get away with that.  By the nature of this business, however, one can specify everything down to the exact look of a person, their age, their eye color, ethnic type/skin, or even their religion. It can, and does happen.  In fact, it happens in almost every job - as the client specifies exactly what they want to see for their final image.

TRUST me... it doesn't stop people from suing for stupid shit. But yes absolutly. If I need blonde big boobed girls for my blonde big boobed girl video / magazine / website shoot then that is what I need. I mean I don't want an Irish looking girl for my Lezbo Latina's video line and website. Its all about product specific marketability.

I mean does an investment management firm hire gang banging looking black guys for thier ad in Fortune 500 mags? NOPE. Though I did a spoof once for my phsyc class.

A group of black ghetto nigga's and one white guy in a suit and asked who do you trust with your money? Of course EVERYONE in the class picked the white guy.

Here's the punchline. The group of 4 black guys were actually investment bankers and the white guy had done a 10 year stint in PRISON for robbery/homicide.

Proved the point that appearance is EVERYTHING unfortunatly.

May 12 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kevin: I wouldn't have any qualms about it. We are in the body business... it's not like you are asking her on a first date if "those are real"...

They are paying for the "body" of hers and not her feelings... if she has too much celluloid that can't be touched up, they wouldn't take her. If her belly would be flabby and she's have a gorgeous face but a huge butt... they wouldn't take her.

It's a matter of qualifying for a product.

May 12 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Personally I prefer not working with models who are augmented. I just like natural myself.

Hmmmm... and you are in CALIFORNIA?

May 12 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Personally speaking, it does not matter to me if the model has had augmentation or not, unless the scars are still evident and it's a swimsuit or lingerie shoot.

But since the client's fronting the money (and paying everybody) then they have the right to set whatever standards they feel the have to.

I feel bad for the model, because she sounds like a really nice girl and all though.

May 12 05 04:50 pm Link