Forums > General Industry > OMP vs free sites...

Photographer

nikonis

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

I have seen a lot of talk about sites better than OMP and free to boot.
Does anyone have a good list of these sites?

May 11 05 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

S19

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

MM smile

May 11 05 02:27 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

OMP has gone down hill! They are MONEY HUNGRY! You have to be like a silver member or higher to do anything on their site just about, Even free members cant get in the chat after like this month I think or sooner. Soon their message boards and search wont be free. Money hungry pigs.

May 11 05 05:52 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

all have good and bad points i love the friendly vibes here although omp has been better for me as a uk resident looking for photogs. I think this one will overtake though.

May 11 05 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

It's easy to be negative about a service like OMP, but as the devil's advocate (and a network engineer by day), I would like to mention some things that factor into some decisions.

To run a network with a large amount of bandwidth (the type a modelling site would require), it costs a lot of dollars. The network connection has to be wide, (large amounts of speed for the data), and in most cases multiple servers are in place to accomodate the exponential growth of the site.

I try not to complain about sites (especially free ones) because like in the case of MM which is awesome, there may come a point in time where a monetary donation/membership is going to be required.

I'm sure there are problems with every site, but I will go on record saying that my OMP experience has been great (and yes, I'm a platinum plus member), but my experience here is also great. I love Model Mayhem and in the few short days I have been here, I have met some incredible talent; model, photographer and MUA..

Ok, off my soap box.

May 11 05 06:18 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

i dont think the way omp charges is bad, it lets you trial it for free then pay if you want to i payed cause i liked what i got although i dont know if i would pay again have to say.

May 11 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

I agree with Kevin. You can't run a professionally designed, high bandwidth site like OMP on some teenager's Pentium II in his parent's basement. It costs a lot of money to run any site like that. That money has to come from somewhere. That could be memberships, or advertising, or donations, or whatever.

I guarantee that if MM becomes very popular and successful, at some point they will have to start charging, or they'll have to put up some sort of advertising. They'll have to generate some sort of income stream from the site, or they'll get buried by the cost of bandwidth and servers, regardless of how well intended they are.

I like this site (so far). I've met a few new models, and it seems pretty well organized, reliable, and fast. But you're kidding yourself if you think this site will remain free and without any advertising indefinitely.

Feel free to bash OMP for any other reason, but don't bash them for charging.

May 12 05 12:52 am Link

Model

Wellman

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am new to both OMP and MM.  I await patiently to see what happens, if anything.  I enjoy doing shoots. I get to travel and meet new people to network with.  And common sense will tell you that this site as well [in time] WILL BE a paid site.  It just doesn't make financial sense not to.  They would not be able to pay out of pocket to keep it running period. So would you rather pay a little bit and continue to use what seems to be the common feeling of a great website or let it fold under because of lack of funding? 

photography is amazing no? smile
-coreY

May 12 05 04:49 am Link

Model

Jacqui

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

So far, I have gotten the most number of contacts and set up the most shoots and whatnot through OMP out of any other model sites that I'm on. I have the free account that only lets you put up 5 images and don't let you have access to anything else, but if those 5 images are getting me all these successful contacts, that's fine with me. I can use other forums to chat with people and interact (which I do). For the record though, I have had the MOST out of OMP, the second most out of MuseCube, and none (so far) from here. tongue 

But I enjoy the quickly-moving discussion here, although I'm actually quite surprised that it's running for free right now without ads or anything at all. Imagine the bandwidth MM must use...

May 13 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by CO Model Amber: 
OMP has gone down hill! They are MONEY HUNGRY! You have to be like a silver member or higher to do anything on their site just about, Even free members cant get in the chat after like this month I think or sooner. Soon their message boards and search wont be free. Money hungry pigs.

they dont like flying cats either...

May 13 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

The best difference I have seen between OMP and MM is the level of ability given here to contact others. There are 0 barriers to direct communication on MM. Not so with OMP where you have no way of knowing if others have read your messages. Here you know, it's noted in your Sent box.

Tyler has hit upon a need, and OMP will eventually be playing catch-up if he stays on track with it.

May 13 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Steve Mills: 
The best difference I have seen between OMP and MM is the level of ability given here to contact others. There are 0 barriers to direct communication on MM. Not so with OMP where you have no way of knowing if others have read your messages. Here you know, it's noted in your Sent box.

Tyler has hit upon a need, and OMP will eventually be playing catch-up if he stays on track with it.

theres the other issue with the overzealous forum moderators that have killed the forums...

May 13 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

MM is one of the best...here are a fw others - though Ive not gotten much from them...

www.allmodelzone.com
www.musecube.com

May 13 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

Doug,

I found OMP's forums to be impossible to enjoy, so I never saw how the moderation went. I couldn't stay logged in to the site long enough to get the benefit of any of their features. These boards are pretty free-wheeling, and largely not interesting to me, but I do find enough intelligence to make it worth a read.

May 13 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

What I'm hoping for from MM, that OMP didn't, is to able to notify models of future Sophie Girl competition in my area. Which has in the past and will in the future lead to modeling contracts. What bothered me about OMP was that their site said it offered the model possible contacts for work. I felt I was offering that by announcing the competition, but OMP felt otherwise and discontinued my membership.

May 13 05 02:21 pm Link

Model

Sirena Scott

Los Angeles, California, US

I am not a fan of OMP at all. I have been on and off of there 3 times and will be deleting my profile on there for the final time today. I can count on one hand how many actual jobs I have gotten. I can count on all fingers, toes and the fingers and toes of my best friend all the creeps, weirdos and TFP offers I have received. To me it is a waste of time. I used it to announce my travel schedule (which actually got me more work than where I live) but as a free member I no longer am able to access that.  I wouldn't mind paying if I had more and better results than what I have experienced.

May 13 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

There are a lot of sites, many like OMP... some free, some with a cost.  There are also pro sites, though while free generally require qualification to access.

May 13 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

DRowan

Port Orange, Florida, US

One thing is for sure...we couldn't even have this type of discussion over there (much less, even mentioning Musecube or any other modeling site)!

May 13 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

Kyandi

Houston, Texas, US

OMP has run down the hole. its scary and filled with a bunch of pervs who do shoots in 20 dollar motels.

T_T ;; but i really like this place and onetalentsource.com OTS rules! And it looks very pretty. This place is good, though. Its like myspace for models and photographers ^^ and isnt that great?

May 14 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Kyandi: 
onetalentsource.com OTS rules!

One of the best, certainly.  When I'm in a pinch for commercial talent, it's one of the few places I'll go source models for paying work.

May 14 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Never speak your mind on OMP message boards cause they will block you like they did to me and they quit answering my E-mails (Punks) :laughing:

May 14 05 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Yea, that's my only knock on OMP is their forums. They're overly moderated and biased.

May 14 05 05:41 pm Link

Model

Angie Rae

Lawton, Iowa, US

OMP has run down the hole. its scary and filled with a bunch of pervs who do shoots in 20 dollar motels., yep Kyandi, I totally agree!

I never have liked OMP. Model Mahem has become my favorite. There are a couple more sites that are good, but not as good as this one: All Model Zone and Garage Glamour.

May 14 05 05:50 pm Link

Model

Aein

OMP does have its perverts, but you have to learn to stay away from them.. MM seems to be great, but I want to be getting some TFP/TFCD, too. With OMP, I set up my first shoot in a month of joining. I hope this will be just as worthwhile.

May 14 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

they dont like flying cats either...

Try flying cats on heavy medication...

May 14 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 
There are a lot of sites, many like OMP... some free, some with a cost.  There are also pro sites, though while free generally require qualification to access.

What are the pro sites?

May 14 05 08:51 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Never speak your mind on OMP message boards cause they will block you like they did to me and they quit answering my E-mails (Punks) :laughing:

And here I thought it was because you a flaming, egocentric whiney, insulting idiot...

May 14 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Oh my,  oH my,  I just woke up the neighborhood laughing,

Oh my, lions and tigers and the  truth.

But lets give her a second chance as long as the flying medicated cat is nice.

I am so glad I saved some of the best posts before they were all deleted.

But maybe the cat should stop scratching at the omp scratching post and leave well enough alone.

At least that is what Hana said to me.

May 14 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by marksora: 
What are the pro sites?

Message me. 

May 14 05 10:28 pm Link

Model

KARELEA

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

OMP sucks. smile
Im not about to pay anything over $5 a month for this stuff. Its pointless, I got an agency to get me work and use this to test and network.
MM will become for pay, not yet but I know it will - so I signed up, because it has a future and I might not have to pay too much. Right now its cool.
Heres a bunch, some offer free profiles...

www.freelancemodel.com
www.Net-Model.com
www.PerfectPose.com
www.FreelanceModels.com       
www.MuseCube.com
hope it helps!

May 15 05 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

theres the other issue with the overzealous forum moderators that have killed the forums...

Yep and that insane idea of model mangers and their steadfast refusal to dump that idiotic function that nobody except model collectors wants.

May 15 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by theda: 

And here I thought it was because you a flaming, egocentric whiney, insulting idiot...

Ya those Colorado winged kittens do get like that.

May 15 05 06:31 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Yep and that insane idea of model mangers and their steadfast refusal to dump that idiotic function that nobody except model collectors wants.

they are lobbying for the same function here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=1422

May 15 05 09:16 am Link

Photographer

jimmyd

I believe (www) Garage Glamour (dot com) is free for models and allows a (limited) port with large images. the photographers there range from beginner to very advanced pros and they don't bite too hard.

May 15 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

Posted by Lady Atropos: 
MM is one of the best...here are a fw others - though Ive not gotten much from them...

www.allmodelzone.com
www.musecube.com

MUSE CUBE IS MORE MONEY HUNGRY THEN OMP AND BAD FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS... great for models but not mutally beifitcial

May 15 05 11:53 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Ian Powell: 

Posted by Lady Atropos: 

www.allmodelzone.com
www.musecube.com

MUSE CUBE IS MORE MONEY HUNGRY THEN OMP AND BAD FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS... great for models but not mutally beifitcial

Also checkout

http://www.solomodels.com

Jun 22 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

In my experience, OMP has been a very good experience. No complaints, I have not seen major site problems (like elsewhere) and have networked like nowhere else. Those paying for gold & platinum memberships are more likely to be quite serious about what they're doing and have a stake in their chosen profession. If anyone thinks a site that charges is not as good as a free site is like saying free talent is better than someone you have to pay. Ridiculous.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: maintaining sites like OMP and this one take a lot of time and money. They are a business like any other, not about being "money-hungry" at all. Businesses have costs, and to expect them to eat them and take huge losses is naive. Get out in the working world for a while and you will understand economics a bit better.

What separates one site from another are usability and ease of navigation, feature-rich content, overall quality and quantity of work and talent, as well as the ability to network with a wider range of people. What you are paying for advertising and promoting yourself is minimal considering the potential  of looks you can get with a decent presentation.

Go to Alexa.com sometime and check the popularity of one site versus another. OMP ranks very high (about 1,084 among ALL websites online). They are the big dog due to quality and investment. As this site improves and gains traffic, the costs will rise, and along with that newfound demand will come fees. Should still be worth the nominal fee.

Jun 22 05 01:38 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

Alot of models place way too much emphasis on hits and traffic - frankly, it makes no difference if a million people or only a hundred people see your portfolio, what matters is the actual returns you get.

What amazes me is how some models get tricked into paying thousands of dollars for various scams (comp cards, model conferences, etc.), and then these same models complain about a $5/month fee a website charges.

Likewise, some photographers spend hundreds of dollars advertising themselves on various classifieds and other forms of marketing, but then resort to free photos sharing sites like flickr or yahoo photos rather than pay the $10 or so per month it would cost to have a professional portfolio website with their own domain.

Jun 22 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Posted by Jim Warren:

What separates one site from another are usability and ease of navigation, feature-rich content, overall quality and quantity of work and talent, as well as the ability to network with a wider range of people. What you are paying for advertising and promoting yourself is minimal considering the potential  of looks you can get with a decent presentation.

Absolutely, musecube is cludgey as hell and slow to navigate.  MM is the first site that I thought the forums worked smoothly and the way they should. Not even OMP's forums work this well.  I'm a platinum member and I've looked the OMP forums exactly twice in one year.  Here at 

Jun 22 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by splashswim: 
Alot of models place way too much emphasis on hits and traffic - frankly, it makes no difference if a million people or only a hundred people see your portfolio, what matters is the actual returns you get.

What amazes me is how some models get tricked into paying thousands of dollars for various scams (comp cards, model conferences, etc.), and then these same models complain about a $5/month fee a website charges.

Likewise, some photographers spend hundreds of dollars advertising themselves on various classifieds and other forms of marketing, but then resort to free photos sharing sites like flickr or yahoo photos rather than pay the $10 or so per month it would cost to have a professional portfolio website with their own domain.

Yep!!

Jun 22 05 05:08 pm Link