Forums > General Industry > legal question

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by SML photography: 
Well this was written by my attorney friend who writes all my releases.

the photographer owns the film and the model has the right to control her own image for commercial purposes (and modeling is considered a commercial purpose).  so, neither one of them has the right to sell the pictures without the other's consent.

if the photographer voluntarily gives the model his/her pictures, the model can do whatever s/he wants with them.  once the photographer gives the photos to the model, whether it's a gift, it's in exchange for the model
signing a release for the photographer to use his/her photos for any reason (a mutual release), or because the model paid money, the model can do whatever she wants with them.

hope that helps.
cheers
scott

i think you missed the whole point...the argument was:
"in the absense of a written agreement"

there is no issue who owns copyright ever..
its the photographer...
unless while he is in the employ of another and it is his job to take the picture...

Huh?

The original question in the thread was "So if I pay someone to take headshots lets say, and I get receipt...does that make me the owner of the pics or should I get the photographer to sign some kind of release?"

Since then the arguments have been over several issues, and in one of my earlier posts I directly addressed "in the absence of a written agreement." But how is that the issue in Scott's post and how can you tell me I missed any point, especially a specific one that wasn't part of the post being replied to, when my post evaporated before it ever made the board? For what it's worth, in the post know one saw I did in fact address every part of Scott's post, including what was written and what might have been meant since it was worded so vaugely. Maybe I'll get the energy up to rewrite it and then you can decide if I missed any points or not.... weird

May 12 05 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Joe Tomasone: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Since they are headshots, for her Book, and she commissioned the shots, She has a claim for rights under that provision.

IF she was (and could) copyright her book, she might have an arguement.  A contributory work must be to a copyrightable work.   Don't make me cite references, or I'll hae theda bust that cap in your ass.  smile

And how is her book Not copyrightable?
Images of Naomi, Copyright Naomi.

Please feel free to cite references. I love them.

May 12 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Joe Tomasone: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 
And I will issue my challenge to both of you.

Send me a photo you took, (without a mark on it) And I will get it reproduced out here, without them calling you.

Send me a photo you took, and I'll sell it to a bunch of web sites who will gladly post it and charge people to see it.  If it's got T&A, that'll help.

They won't check either.

Your point?

My Point was that he made the statement it could not be done.
I am saying that it not only can be done, but is done all the time.

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

Try taking professionally shot images to a photo lab (especially somewhere as gun shy these days as a Walmart or the like) and get them reproduced without a release from the photographer.  In all due respect, I deal with this on a daily basis as this industry relates to my full 100% daily income.  I've shot probably 3 or 4 thousand headshots in the past 20 years.  Make sure you have something in writing, model, granting you permission from photographer to produce the headshots (usually in quantity).

I am telling him, he is full of crap!
I can take his "Professional Photos" and get them reproduced at a photolab, without them calling him, UNLESS he has a mark on them.

May 12 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

the photographer owns the film and the model has the right to control her own image for commercial purposes (and modeling is considered a commercial purpose).  so, neither one of them has the right to sell the pictures without the other's consent.

if the photographer voluntarily gives the model his/her pictures, the model can do whatever s/he wants with them.  once the photographer gives the photos to the model, whether it's a gift, it's in exchange for the model
signing a release for the photographer to use his/her photos for any reason (a mutual release), or because the model paid money, the model can do whatever she wants with them.

hope that helps.
cheers
scott

So now we have a second person, After consulting with his attorney that says the same thing, albeit in different words.

And yet no one will accept it?

Would it make anyone feel better if I get my attorney to write it up on his letterhead and I scan a copy on here?

Let me explain something about law that my lawyer once told me, that will shed some light on this subject, I am paraphrasing...

For people without money, there is law as set by the people with money.

Just because you have a certain right, does not mean that you can enforce that right without going to court.

The RIAA is a good example.
The law is quite clear on home use of copying. You can record a cassette of music from a radio broadcast, A videotape of a movie on HBO, and even dub tape to tape, and it is all legal.
How is that any different than downloading MP3s?
From a legal stand point it is not, However, until someone with enough money challenges it in court, the RIAA will have their way. People will cave in because they do not have enough money to challenge such a big organization.

---

Now, The McFarlane case I cited was a perfect example of that. for something like 25 years, the omic industry has been walking on thin water over the copyright issue and ownership. It was not until McFarlane, where it was a clear cut case to be disputed, and the amount of money involved was substantial, that it ever got argued, and hence decided.

Just because it was always that way does not make it the law.

A case can be made in the circumstance above.
It would be up to the courts to decide if it holds or not.
Therefore, from a total standpoint, the mid line is both, from a legal standpoint, it may be hers, and from a "It is always this way" stand point, it may be his.

May 12 05 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Norris Carden

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

Ty, the model being able to control use of the image has NOTHING to do with copyright. There are two different issues. You keep lumping them together.

May 12 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

hope that helps.
cheers
scott

So now we have a second person, After consulting with his attorney that says the same thing, albeit in different words.

Would it make anyone feel better if I get my attorney to write it up on his letterhead and I scan a copy on here?

Sigh. There are tens of thousands of lawyers that have less understanding of copyright intricacies than do many well informed, well read on the subject, & experienced in the subject, photographers.

IP lawyers are probably one of the smallest groups of attorneys. Within IP law there are many areas of specialty. Dealing with copyright as applied to photography is a small subset. Within that subset there are good lawyers and bad, and there are lawyers with varying degrees of experience and expertise.

So no, it wouldn't make me feel any better at all to hear from some random unknown lawyer to pile on top of Scott's lawyer if he's going to be just as wrong.

If you really think physical ownership of a print that was given to you or sold to you without any other rights being specifically granted means you "can do anything you want" with the photos you are.... well, let's just say incredibly misinformed and leave it at that.

May 12 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
I am telling him, he is full of crap!

All hail, who?

May 12 05 10:24 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Okay, here's a legal question that's been on my mind for a long time.  Feel free to personally send me a message instead of writing on this thread. 

A photographer and model come to bad terms.  The model kindly asks the photographer to not use any of her images since the photographer never got a release signed.  The photographer refuses a while then finally gives up.  The model sees her images on sites after the photographer said he trashed all the images, CDs, etc.  Is it still legal for the photographer to use the model's images?  Even without a model release?  The model let the photographer keep $300 from photo shoots because the model felt she didn't give her best and only did the photo shoots because she was bugged and manipulated to. 

What do you think?

May 12 05 10:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If he has no release, you can sue him. He has nothing in writing giving him permission to publish the pictures.

This is not to say you will win or even if you do if it will be worth the time and money.

May 12 05 10:42 am Link

Model

Jin

Yes, I know.  But what about copyright issues?  Technically, he has the copyright to all the images.  BUT he told me that he got rid of all the images.  So would it actually be worth doing anything about it?

May 12 05 10:43 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

There is no copyright issue here. I'm not sure what you're asking. He has the right to copy the images until doomsday, but not to show them to anyone.

May 12 05 10:45 am Link

Model

Jin

Oh okay.  I thought he had the copyright to the images and could do whatever he wanted with them.  He sold some of them to his clients in China or something.  Is that legal?  I didn't give him a release and let him keep the money from his clients.

May 12 05 10:47 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

That's not a copyright issue. You can sue because you didn't give permission for your likelness to be used that way.

May 12 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Copyright and release for publication use are two different things. That's been discussed until everyone seems blue in the face.  While there are some applications where a photo may be used without release, for the most part if he has sold or otherwise distributed for publication the images and there was no release stating permission from the model for him to do so, then the photographer can be held accountable.  It has nothing to do with copyright issue.  This too is a good reason, even when a release is signed, that a model ask that the terms and use be specified as part of the release form.

May 12 05 10:51 am Link

Model

Jin

Thanks for all the information. 

May 12 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Austin, You are wrong.

Eric, You are right, but only in the reference, not in responding to her.

From the copyright code you sited...

§ 201. Ownership of copyright1
(a) Initial Ownership. — Copyright in a work protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the work. The authors of a joint work are coowner of copyright in the work.

(b) Works Made for Hire. — In the case of a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the copyright.

They are Co-Creators. So in item 1, the initial rights are joint.

It is work for hire, therefore, number 2. SHE IS OWNER.

Know the law.
Do NOT rely on others to cite it for you.
Always Always Always research it.

Um TY... I believe you are mistaken.
Copyright is owned soley by the photographer who took the picture, UNLESS as stated the work was created as a "Work for Hire" in which case the person hiring the photographer owns copyright. Still does not give either party exclusive rights to publish the work unless otherwise stated.

The ONLY circumstances under which a copyrighted or trademark may be used without written concent falls under fair use as in reporting information. i.e. Reviewing the new song by BLAH BLAH BLAH artist.

Co-Created work generally only applies to written works where more than one person had a physical hand in writing the work. i.e. Movie scripts.

But copyright in photos is owned and held by the one who created the formatted image.

Funny thing that this came up. Because I am about to deal with a moron who himself feels that he has rights to MY images because they resided on his server. And even possibly copyrighted them with the copyright office. Boy is his ass going to be sore when my lawyers are done with him.

May 12 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

When clicking the shutter the ownership of that image no matter who is paying for the gig, is the photographer unless the client is work for hire. So when someone hires you for the work for hire...make sure you let them know they are paying your insurance hopitalization, your SS# taxes and all those other benefits that says you are an employee of that company and see if they want to make you shoot for work for hire......added feature...yes the client can own the film or digital file all he wants, unless you have a contract that says you are selling complete ownship of that creativity...... you are still the ownder of that work.

May 12 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
The claimant must establish that the parties intend at the time of creation to be joint authors. 

Did you miss this part here? It must be ESTABLISHED that at the time of creation both parties were joint creators. You better get yourself better lawyers before you end up in deep shit one day.

The childress case is NOT the end all be all of the standard. It is the exception. And unless you know the full case that led to the decision in that case qouting a portion of it amounts to useless banter.

Alex. Actually when WE do a "work for hire" it isn't an employer - employee relationship. It's often a contractor situation in which case we would issue a 1099, and any work created under that pervue is still considered work for hire. =o) Though we do keep a couple staff photographers around. Gotta have SOMEONE to brow beat. LOL

May 12 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Norris Carden

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

Venus,

If the photographer sells images without a release, then the model has a case for unauthorized use and should be able to at least claim actual damages (the amount of money paid for the images). If the entity that made that purchase also sells the images, the model has another case for unauthorized use... but that liability might also revert back to the photographer.

If there is a web site out there publishing and selling your images without a release, then you could have an attorney force them to either prove a release exists or remove them... though you mentioned China, so there might not be a chance of actually accomplishing this.

If you originally did the shoot as a TFP, there is probably an assumed verbal contract that you both can use the images for self promotion. If it was shot on the speculation of a sale and the photographer did not get a release from you, yet sold them anyway... he's up sh*t creek.

May 12 05 12:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Venus: 
Oh okay.  I thought he had the copyright to the images and could do whatever he wanted with them.  He sold some of them to his clients in China or something.  Is that legal?  I didn't give him a release and let him keep the money from his clients.

You would  win in court.  I've been involved in a few of these suits in the past. Without a model release he's screwed. You will have to prove he sold your images.  If you can get a hold of the images (in ads, boxes, websites etc) you need to do that because it is your job to prove they were sold.  Lawyers are not cheap, you need to have plenty of ammo before you hire one.  Don't just walk in with "I heard he sold my photos"  walk in with the proof. 

If this is the case and you do have clear evidence you need to get off the computer and get to a lawyer. You have a pay day coming.

May 12 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Venus: 

Venus what you are dealing with is called Misappropriation of likeness. Also sale of your image to a 3rd party is illegal without your concent. You can sue and will be awarded damages up to $250,000.00 per incident.

What he has done is blatantly illegal. Abercrombie and Fitch were sued not too long ago by a couple of surfers who appeared in the A&F catalog, purchased from a photographer who HAD a release, but not pubrights. And the surfers if memory serves were awarded several MILLIONS of dollars.

This in no way constitutes legal advice and is for informational purposes only. Please contact a lawyer in your area who specializes in these matters.

May 12 05 04:36 pm Link

Model

Jin

Okay.  I didn't take any action because I wasn't sure if it would be worth approaching or not.  That's why I asked for ideas.  I was aware that he was going to sell the images but I wasn't aware of which images and IF he was actually going to sell them or when he was going to sell them.  I was also promised money that was never given to me.  But I was never asked, "is it okay to take these images for my Chinese clients?". 

May 12 05 08:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Venus: 
Okay.  I didn't take any action because I wasn't sure if it would be worth approaching or not.  That's why I asked for ideas.  I was aware that he was going to sell the images but I wasn't aware of which images and IF he was actually going to sell them or when he was going to sell them.  I was also promised money that was never given to me.  But I was never asked, "is it okay to take these images for my Chinese clients?".   

Sounds like you need to look your contract over carefully.  What is said verbally makes little difference, it's what you signed that matters and now it sounds like you may have signed a release. Do you have a copy of the paperwork you signed and if you do, what does it say...if you don't why not?

May 12 05 09:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

sorry, I just read again what you said and nothing was  signed by either party.

Here is the question a judge might ask....

Why did he shoot you?  what was the purpose? how was it to benifit him?

May 12 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I certainly hope he doesn't practice copyright law.

May 12 05 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
And how is her book Not copyrightable?
Images of Naomi, Copyright Naomi.

Simple: What did she originate and put into fixed form?  Nothing. 

It's a chicken-and-egg scenario: If she could copyright her portfolio, then she could argue for joint copyright for work commissioned to include in it, but since she can't argue joint copyright, she can't claim copyright for anything that's in it, therefore the entire work is not copyrightable.

To make this somewhat easier - if she commissioned the photos for inclusion in a book she's writing about her modeling career (which is copyrightable), AND she has a written agreement whereby both parties agree to that usage, THEN she can argue for joint copyright in the pictures, but, presumably, the agreement would stipulate that, so there'd be no need to argue.  smile

May 12 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

hope that helps.
cheers
scott

Let me explain something about law that my lawyer once told me, that will shed some light on this subject, I am paraphrasing...

For people without money, there is law as set by the people with money.

Just because you have a certain right, does not mean that you can enforce that right without going to court.

The RIAA is a good example.
The law is quite clear on home use of copying. You can record a cassette of music from a radio broadcast, A videotape of a movie on HBO, and even dub tape to tape, and it is all legal.
How is that any different than downloading MP3s?
From a legal stand point it is not, However, until someone with enough money challenges it in court, the RIAA will have their way. People will cave in because they do not have enough money to challenge such a big organization.

---

Now, The McFarlane case I cited was a perfect example of that. for something like 25 years, the omic industry has been walking on thin water over the copyright issue and ownership. It was not until McFarlane, where it was a clear cut case to be disputed, and the amount of money involved was substantial, that it ever got argued, and hence decided.

Just because it was always that way does not make it the law.

A case can be made in the circumstance above.
It would be up to the courts to decide if it holds or not.
Therefore, from a total standpoint, the mid line is both, from a legal standpoint, it may be hers, and from a "It is always this way" stand point, it may be his.

May 13 05 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Alex. Actually when WE do a "work for hire" it isn't an employer - employee relationship. It's often a contractor situation in which case we would issue a 1099, and any work created under that pervue is still considered work for hire.

Depending on what you're doing, you may be quite wrong.  There are only 9 categories of work that can be done by a non-employee and still be considered a "work for hire". 

Read http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ9.html#employer

May 13 05 12:25 am Link

Photographer

newvideoproduct

Forest Park, Georgia, US

You got your answer correctly that if it is for hire work, the person paying you is the owner of all images and negatives. I shoot for papers and magazines and although they hold a copyright to everything they publish including images, they don't own my images. They are given first rights of usage, but it also works in my favor to be under their copyright, because if anyone reproduces the images, I am protected by the newspaper or magazine, and also by me having the negative in my possesion. Glad the other people on here did the research for you, but start learning how for yourself.

May 13 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I haven't read every word Ty said about joint collections, I just couldn't keep reading so many words after a certain point when I know that his premise is wrong and that he misunderstands most of what he reads. But whatever snipets he's taking out of context or cases he's not understanding, anyone who just thinks about it for a second will know that works published and copyrighted as a "joint collection" don't automatically make for "joint copyright" to the individual works within the joint collection in which the collection owner has all rights to the images or can do anything at all with them outside of what the original agreement was.

If that were the case how would there be these ongoing giant cases involving National Geographic & the New York times and their  electronic editions and archives? If it was a de facto situation the way Ty believes they would never gotten this far in court.

This would mean that every photo in every book, magazine and newspaper would become the copyright of the publisher just because he's able to copyright the joint collection! Are you guys kidding? I seriously suggest consulting the sources I listed earlier. I suggest keeping up with the legal cases by reading PDN and the ASMP bulletin. I suggest reading everything on the EP site and joining EP. It's getting crazy in here!

The copyright to a book, magazine or paper is a copyright to the collection in that form, the layout, the design, the text and the configuration all together including the photos. That means that if my photo appears in a book the book publisher has the copyright to the page which includes my photo, so I can't reproduce or copy the page itself even though it contains my photo but has other elements other than a full bleed photo without permission. The publisher also can't reproduce it because it contains my copywritten property without my permission aside from whatever terms were agreed to in the contract. But the publisher being able to copyright the collection and the individual pages doesn't mean he holds joint copyright in my photo itself unless that's what we agreed to. He can't do a damn thing with my photos other than what's in the contract.

May 13 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

May 14 05 01:14 am Link

Model

kiana's place

Citrus Heights, California, US

JEff what the hell is that photo..lol
if a photographer gave me that..do I have to pay for that crap?

May 14 05 01:17 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Sweetmodel: 
JEff what the hell is that photo..lol
if a photographer gave me that..do I have to pay for that crap?

Ty Simone.  MAYHEM!  Click on the thumbnails... the quality is FUNNY!

May 14 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Naomi Jay: 
So if I pay someone to take headshots lets say, and I get receipt...does that make me the owner of the pics or should I get the photographer to sign some kind of release?

Whatever it says on the release.  Sometimes models share copyrights with photographers.  Most of the time photographers will own full copyrights.  Hardly ever will a model buy full copyrights, unless it's for a paid website or something.

May 14 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Joe Tomasone: 

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Alex. Actually when WE do a "work for hire" it isn't an employer - employee relationship. It's often a contractor situation in which case we would issue a 1099, and any work created under that pervue is still considered work for hire.

Depending on what you're doing, you may be quite wrong.  There are only 9 categories of work that can be done by a non-employee and still be considered a "work for hire". 

Read http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ9.html#employer

Trust me Joe I am VERY well versed in the law, as are the several lawyers we keep around to tell our best lawyer jokes to. And indeed If I hire you to come shoot one of my models for me to use for whatever I own the copyright to that. And it is a work for hire. Or else you would not have shot that model or that particular photo otherwise.

The simple breakdown as one fucktard had to learn the hardway is that if I hire you. You work for me. And ANYTHING you create under that banner is mine. Hell did you know that if you work for Microsoft as a secretary and design the next evolution in media streaming Microsoft COULD and very possibly WOULD end up owning the patent to YOUR work?

May 14 05 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
The simple breakdown as one fucktard had to learn the hardway is that if I hire you. You work for me. And ANYTHING you create under that banner is mine.

...For certain definitions of "hiring".  I am not your employee (under the general common law of agency), and therefore an independent contractor.  Therefore, for it to be a work for hire, the work must be:

a work specially ordered or commissioned for use
as a contribution to a collective work:
as a part of a motion picture
as a part of other audiovisual work,
as a translation,
as a supplementary work,
as a compilation,
as an instructional text,
as a test,
as answer material for a test, or
as an atlas.

So, eliminating those that (normally) have nothing to do with photography, we are down to:

as a contribution to a collective work:
as a part of other audiovisual work,
as a supplementary work,
as a compilation,
as an instructional text.

A supplementary work would cover photo illustrations of a larger work, and intructional text includes photo illustrations as well.

Further, the parties must agree in writing that the above is a work for hire, which, presumably, is not an issue in your case.

So therefore, what the photos will be used for is crucial to deciding if, indeed, the work is done for hire, and therefore whether you own the copyright to them.

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
And indeed If I hire you to come shoot one of my models for me to use for whatever I own the copyright to that.

And for the reasons I just cited, this is a dangerous statement to make. "For whatever" doesn't cut it legally.

Here's another good page to read that summarizes the copyright.gov page but adds a little case law on who, exactly, is an employee: http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/wfhire.htm

- Joe

May 15 05 09:10 am Link