Forums > General Industry > Directing Models

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Someone posted somthing early this morning or could of been last last night, about directing models I assume for photography. I have a book I think would be of some insight  into this process....."Model Manaul" by Arthur Elgort. I hope it's still in print, but it will help you understand the process. I have worked more with dancers since my college days. so I have tended to use models with a background in dance, and yes there still is the process of seeing movement that will gain some images that will amaze you.

May 10 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Directing models again?  I be like... Get low, Get low, Get Low, Get Low!
To the window, to the wall,
To the sweat drop down my balls
To all you bitches crawl
To all skee skee motherfucker

May 10 05 07:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Directing models again?  I be like... Get low, Get low, Get Low, Get Low!
To the window, to the wall,
To the sweat drop down my balls
To all you bitches crawl
To all skee skee motherfucker 

'can't just tell the model to move a little bit more to the left can you?  LOL

May 10 05 09:42 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Alex Alexander: 
"Model Manaul" by Arthur Elgort

Amazon doesn't have it.  That's usually a pretty good indication that it's not in print, although Amazon isn't the end-all of book stores.

May 10 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Directing models is pretty easy - Lean over a bit more, bit more, bit more.... wait, do not let go of the railing yet, you are out of focus!!!!!

Ok. Maybe I should stick to directing traffic instead....

and LarryB - here is the Amazon link for you :-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … 2?v=glance

Never ever ever use amazon to search amazon.... Always use google :-P

May 10 05 09:55 am Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

I am just wondering if it is normal for a photographer to only direct and not let the model pose herself at all..  I worked with a guy who was sitting in the same place and jsut had me spinning around like i was on a lazy susan...it was werid because the last guy i was with let me pose myself, he moved in relation to where he saw fit and then he would tell me if i needed to fix something....suffice to say i had more fun with the guy i could play with rather than the one i was a maniquine for....

May 11 05 11:19 am Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Posted by NovaG: 
I worked with a guy who was sitting in the same place and jsut had me spinning around like i was on a lazy susan

Hmmmm, that's a good idea, place the model on a lazy susan...LOL

May 11 05 11:23 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Different photographers have a different approah. Some are very specific in their direction, others let the model do her thing. I prefer the latter.

May 11 05 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by John Swoger: 

Posted by NovaG: 
I worked with a guy who was sitting in the same place and jsut had me spinning around like i was on a lazy susan

Hmmmm, that's a good idea, place the model on a lazy susan...LOL

That's exactly what some sculptors and painters used to do (still do?). I believe you can see this at work in the movie Artemesia, or was it Camille Claudell? Or something else? haha

May 11 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

AlexAlexander/Moderator wrote:
Someone posted somthing early this morning or could of been last last night, about directing models I assume for photography. I have a book I think would be of some insight  into this process....."Model Manaul" by Arthur Elgort. I hope it's still in print, but it will help you understand the process. I have worked more with dancers since my college days. so I have tended to use models with a background in dance, and yes there still is the process of seeing movement that will gain some images that will amaze you.

I wonder if over 1% even have heard of Arthur Elgort.

Jan 13 07 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

I wonder if over 1% even have heard of Arthur Elgort.

Not me - couint me in the 99%.

Jan 13 07 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I like to have the model pose themselves with the thinking...the more they pose themselves the more natural it comes across.....with a few tips and suggestions along the way.  It is subjective....different approaches.....whatever works works

Jan 13 07 04:30 pm Link