Forums > General Industry > If my MUA makes my model look like a Racoon...

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

...does that automatically make me a fashion photographer? If my lighting is superb and my model looks like a pretty Racoon, does it make me a great fashion photographer? Just curious. Sometimes I wonder about the fashionable Racoon look. A lot of kids (girls. my daughters included) laugh at it.

It reminds me of the King who went on parade butt-nekkid, thinking he had on a beautiful garment designed by his Kingdom's great fashion designers. In this case, it's not the King, but the models. It's been going on for a long time in the fashion industry and kids, young adults, and basically EVERYONE laugh at it and say it basically looks very, very stupid. That is, everyone except for everyone in the fashion industry. Why is that? What is up with this Racoon look? Do I need one in my portfolio?

May 08 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Well, yes, people still do shoot racoons, don't they?

May 08 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
If my lighting is superb and my model looks like a pretty Racoon, does it make me a great fashion photographer?

Sorry Joe, that does NOT make you a fashionphotographer, but a nature photographer and I would strongly recommend to send the picture to National Geographic!

May 08 05 02:31 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Dudley Watson: 

In the country maybe where Coon hunting is profitable. In the San Fran Bay Area, you'd have an Activist on your tail. *g*

May 08 05 02:33 am Link

Model

!Tiger!

New York, New York, US

Joey

Racoons are pretty  indeed (as long as they dont have  rabies)

be careful there me and the racoons be good buds- u attack them u um deal with me;-)

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
...does that automatically make me a fashion photographer? If my lighting is superb and my model looks like a pretty Racoon, does it make me a great fashion photographer? Just curious. Sometimes I wonder about the fashionable Racoon look. A lot of kids (girls. my daughters included) laugh at it.

It reminds me of the King who went on parade butt-nekkid, thinking he had on a beautiful garment designed by his Kingdom's great fashion designers. In this case, it's not the King, but the models. It's been going on for a long time in the fashion industry and kids, young adults, and basically EVERYONE laugh at it and say it basically looks very, very stupid. That is, everyone except for everyone in the fashion industry. Why is that? What is up with this Racoon look? Do I need one in my portfolio?

May 08 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by !Tiger!: 

Tig, no worries. In my area, it's not *fashionable* to shoot at Racoons, but it would be awesome to have a closeup of one baring it's fangs while it goes through the neighbor's garbage. On the other hand, you gave me a funny idea. When discusing with a model regarding a fashion shoot...as long as you don't have rabies. LOL!

May 08 05 02:42 am Link

Model

!Tiger!

New York, New York, US

cool joey if u shoot it i want a print please

would rock on my door scare away the soliciters and nosey neighbors

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by !Tiger!: 

Tig, no worries. In my area, it's not *fashionable* to shoot at Racoons, but it would be awesome to have a closeup of one baring it's fangs while it goes through the neighbor's garbage. On the other hand, you gave me a funny idea. When discusing with a model regarding a fashion shoot...as long as you don't have rabies. LOL!

May 08 05 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I myself hate the raccoon look-Wait what is the raccoon look anyway (:--

May 08 05 03:14 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Great well I need an activist to come over to my house and remove the coon family from my rafters..... they can go up there and challange that 80 pounder....

With claws I might add

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Dudley Watson: 

In the country maybe where Coon hunting is profitable. In the San Fran Bay Area, you'd have an Activist on your tail. *g*

May 08 05 10:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

im confused, what do you consider the raccoon look?

May 08 05 06:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

If youre talking about the dark smokey eye with color all around the eye (or black around the eye)  it only works on edgy models.  It does look silly on most models in my opinion.  Given the right wardrobe, atmosphere, lighting and model I think it can add a lot to a shot. 

May 08 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Posted by Mary: 
If youre talking about the dark smokey eye with color all around the eye (or black around the eye)  it only works on edgy models.  It does look silly on most models in my opinion.  Given the right wardrobe, atmosphere, lighting and model I think it can add a lot to a shot.   

I agree with you 100%

May 08 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 

Well, hard to describe. Here's some pics of racoons though to get an idea of the makeup style. Lol. Keep in mind, MUA's should not be offended by anything I'm writing.

http://www.michaeldavy.com/Fashion%20Ai … 0copy2.jpg

http://pangea.stanford.edu/~hsiao/racoon%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.harunyahya.com/kids/pictures … racoon.jpg

May 08 05 07:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

LOL!  thats funny.  I think the eyes look good with the fur wardrobe.

This is an example of when I think it works

https://models.com/model_culture/50topmodels/images/Linda.jpg

May 08 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

TracerX Photography

Auburn, Washington, US

Now if you could make that racoon look like a squirrel, you then would truly have ascended to the next higher realm of photoism... big_smile

May 08 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by Dudley Watson: 

In some parts, they eat 'em too!

May 08 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by !Tiger!: 

Thanks! You just gave me an idea for an unusual fashion shoot! wink

May 08 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
I myself hate the raccoon look-Wait what is the raccoon look anyway (:--

Not sure about the look, Hugh ... I think we ate one once when it fell into the barbeque pit. Don't tell Dream about that! tongue

May 08 05 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

LOL Joe, you and I think alike... I think I'd rubber neck if I saw some one walking down the street looking like that... .....and I think a lot of other people would too.. I have laid off the racoon look myself... for the same reasons...

As a matter of fact,.. I have often been critical of the lighting that I see from many of these "high fashion" photographers... it's usually one big god damn octagon bank light splatting the model with a glob of light as she is right up next to a wall, ....oooooh...how hard is that!? and yet, they are praised by the masses of morons who believe that if you add separation lighting to your images, you are "stuck in the 80's"..   

You see,.... these days,... all you have to do is call it "Art"..and you can get away with anything... IMO, there is a lot of "Art" which I call "Crap!"..

JP

May 08 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

I dunno, ... I rather like the "deer caught in headlights" look myself!

May 08 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4274897f927d6

JP

May 09 05 06:59 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

lol,you got that from me right,lol? I started a trend ,yeahh. My racccoon eyes

May 09 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

when i think of the racoon look, i think daryll hannah in ridley scott's "blade runner.' it was pretty cool then and still can be pretty cool. but like most out-of-the-ordinary adventures in life, moderation and/or caution might sometimes be a good idea.

May 09 05 07:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I have the racoon look as my main shot on my website (it's been my signiture shot for years) I first did this in 1999 on a test, a catalog comapany saw it on a models zed card and asked her who did it, she told them I did and they hired me to do it on their catalog cover in 2001,  before that date I had never seen it. Now I see it all the time.

https://www.themakeupartist.com/images/maskcover.jpg

May 09 05 08:52 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

i personally love that look...and everything else in mary's portfolio! Mary you rock..

May 09 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Mary: 
I have the racoon look as my main shot on my website (it's been my signiture shot for years) 

i think you have more of a catwoman look going on there... more so catwoman than a raccoon, IMO.

May 09 05 10:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

thanks Angel Tara smile

May 09 05 11:00 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I like the raccoon look. I want to be Priss when I grow up.

May 09 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by theda: 
I like the raccoon look. I want to be Priss when I grow up.

Yup. I'd buy a Theda pleasure model.
https://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/masters/courses/d857/images/211237-1.jpg

May 09 05 11:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Hmm...

"Your Honor, I must plead guilty...  I also have the 'raccoon-look' in my portfolio... but mine is toned down some... Can you reduce my sentance because I was a first time offender? I have no other previous record of such activity and the model coerced me into it."

Yeah... that's my story...

May 10 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Paul ... I couldn't stop chuckling reading your reply.

Posted by John Paul: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

LOL Joe, you and I think alike... I think I'd rubber neck if I saw some one walking down the street looking like that... .....and I think a lot of other people would too.. I have laid off the racoon look myself... for the same reasons...

As a matter of fact,.. I have often been critical of the lighting that I see from many of these "high fashion" photographers... it's usually one big god damn octagon bank light splatting the model with a glob of light as she is right up next to a wall, ....oooooh...how hard is that!? and yet, they are praised by the masses of morons who believe that if you add separation lighting to your images, you are "stuck in the 80's"..   

You see,.... these days,... all you have to do is call it "Art"..and you can get away with anything... IMO, there is a lot of "Art" which I call "Crap!"..

JP

May 10 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hey, this isn't bad actually. She definitely does not look like a Racoon! Lol. However, she'd make a great looking co-star for Robin whenever Batman is show boating. All kidding aside, the make-up in this photo looks a helluva lot better because it is going up like a mask versus going down...hence, the Racoon look.

Posted by Mary: 
I have the racoon look as my main shot on my website (it's been my signiture shot for years) I first did this in 1999 on a test, a catalog comapany saw it on a models zed card and asked her who did it, she told them I did and they hired me to do it on their catalog cover in 2001,  before that date I had never seen it. Now I see it all the time.

https://www.themakeupartist.com/images/maskcover.jpg

May 10 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

JTeffects

Columbus, Ohio, US

If you'll pay my travel Ill do it. I did it all the time when I was young. Relocated prolly 'bout 20 from my barn. One time I even got a mom and her babies all in one night.

all caught with live traps I might add. pisses 'em off, but they are fine otherwize....

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 

Great well I need an activist to come over to my house and remove the coon family from my rafters..... they can go up there and challange that 80 pounder....

With claws I might add

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Dudley Watson: 

May 10 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

(after accidentally spitting pop all over his desk from reading John Paul's response...)

M'am, despite the cute response, the jury has found you guilty as charged. You are hereby ordered to pay restitution in the form of TFP MUA for JKP Photography. You are also ordered to write an apology letter to the head Racoon at your local zoo, apologizing for your misappropriation and infringement of the Racoon brand signature look and misuse of it in the fashion industry.

LOL *wink*

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 
Hmm...

"Your Honor, I must plead guilty...  I also have the 'raccoon-look' in my portfolio... but mine is toned down some... Can you reduce my sentance because I was a first time offender? I have no other previous record of such activity and the model coerced me into it."

Yeah... that's my story... 

May 10 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey D Photography

Aurora, Illinois, US

Hay, it worked in "The Night of the Living Dead"
Now see what those SMAC models started. Blame it
on the French.

May 12 05 11:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I thought we were supposed to blame everything on the Canadians? 

::::Reese rechecks her fact book::::

Nope you are right, says here on page 14, "...blame on French..."

May 12 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Reese, VA . MUA: 
I thought we were supposed to blame everything on the Canadians? 

::::Reese rechecks her fact book::::

Nope you are right, says here on page 14, "...blame on French..."

I blame it on the French Canadians.....But hey thay were the ones that did not tip me after I gave the 15 of them their 100$ bill....And those sundaes were perfect thank you very much....

May 12 05 11:58 am Link

Model

Elyse

Strongsville, Ohio, US

Question: Is the following link an example of a good raccoon look?

http://member.onemodelplace.com/model_list.cfm?ID=52011

o.0

(edited to put in shorter link)

May 12 05 10:21 pm Link