Forums > General Industry > Good rates to charge for portfolio developoment?

Photographer

JFM Photography

Anderson, South Carolina, US

What are Good rates to charge for portfolio development?

Jan 20 07 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Learn and know your day rate.  Then charge what you need to charge to cover the bills and make what ever profit margin you have built into it.  If it's something that will be mutually beneficial, shoot TFCD.

-Major

Jan 20 07 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Portfolio development sounds like TFP to me

Jan 20 07 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Portfolio development sounds like TFP to me

I think he means shooting for the Model's portfolio !!! Good luck on this site no models pay for anything -  unbelievable!!!!!  jh

Jan 20 07 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

JFM Photography wrote:
What are Good rates to charge for portfolio development?

portfolio development for what?

Jan 20 07 06:13 pm Link

Model

Miss Nicole

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You have a couple of cute, well done shots in your port, but mostly your shots look sort of amature. I would stick with TFCD for a bit if I were you.

Jan 20 07 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Charge what the pictures are worth.

I know, that sounds like useless information, but bear with me.

If you can produce pictures that meet professional standards, are in style and of the quality that models can use to get hired, then they are of value to models.  The value comes from the fact that they can help her generate income as a model.

Pictures that do not meet the expectations of paying clients are not worth paying for.

If your pictures are of fashion-magazine quality and style, you can charge several hundreds of dollars for test shoots.

If your pictures are excellent lifestyle images, you can even charge more than fashion photographers, because few good lifestyle photographers do test shoots.

How to tell if you are in either of those categories?  Go to real, booking agencies and ask them if you can be on their test list.  They will let you know very quickly.  If they say no, you probably shouldn't be charging for fashion and commercial models, because your pictures will do them no professional good.

If you can do excellent glamour or art pictures, you can ask to get paid, although at lower rates than for fashion test shots.  And your chances of actually getting paid aren't all that great, since models can usually find good glamour and art photographers willing to shoot them for free, or to pay them.

Good luck with it.

Jan 20 07 06:26 pm Link