Forums > General Industry > Some things never change

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

While reading "The Judgment of Paris" (a book about the beginnings of impressionistic painting during the years 1863 and 1873), I came across these two references to models and art.

The behavior of models was a common source of worry and complaint for artists. "When I start something", (Edouard) Manet once told a friend, "I always tremble to think that models will let me down, or that I won't see them as often as I would like, or that the next time will be under conditions that I don't like."

On the differences between real painters and GWP's (guys with paintbrushes). "It is to the decoration of churches, public places, of halls of justice, that art must dedicate itself. Real painting," as Gericault more bluntly expressed it, "means working with buckets of color on hundred-foot walls."

I just thought it funny how those related so well to some of the posts on mm.

selah

Jan 18 07 01:03 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

MMDesign wrote:
While reading "The Judgment of Paris" (a book about the beginnings of impressionistic painting during the years 1863 and 1873), I came across these two references to models and art.

The behavior of models was a common source of worry and complaint for artists. "When I start something", (Edouard) Manet once told a friend, "I always tremble to think that models will let me down, or that I won't see them as often as I would like, or that the next time will be under conditions that I don't like."

On the differences between real painters and GWP's (guys with paintbrushes). "It is to the decoration of churches, public places, of halls of justice, that art must dedicate itself. Real painting," as Gericault more bluntly expressed it, "means working with buckets of color on hundred-foot walls."

I just thought it funny how those related so well to some of the posts on mm.

selah

I wonder if the woman featured in Olympia flaked a few times before they nailed that painting.

Jan 18 07 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

KitaPanda wrote:

I wonder if the woman featured in Olympia flaked a few times before they nailed that painting.

Actually no. Her name was Victorine Meurent and he supposedly never had a problem with her.

Jan 18 07 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

MMDesign wrote:

Actually no. Her name was Victorine Meurent and he supposedly never had a problem with her.

So when they had a "he said/she said" argument back then, did they use town criers?

Jan 18 07 02:23 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

I don't think it is nearly the same issue here...
This issue can not exist, unless somebody shooting a series, but in that case everyone invested in that shoot could worry about each other, because they become dependent until the end of the project.

It's not the flake issue.

Jan 18 07 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Julia wrote:
I don't think it is nearly the same issue here...
This issue can not exist, unless somebody shooting a series, but in that case everyone invested in that shoot could worry about each other, because they become dependent until the end of the project.

It's not the flake issue.

Artists complaining about models.

Painting murals is real art, painting on canvas isn't. Shooting film is real art, shooting digital isn't (or vice-versa).

Sounds pretty similar to me.

Jan 18 07 03:56 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

MMDesign wrote:
Artists complaining about models.

Painting murals is real art, painting on canvas isn't. Shooting film is real art, shooting digital isn't (or vice-versa).

Sounds pretty similar to me.

He didnt' complain about a model.

As far as a debate about what's a real art - that could be implied to anything at any time.
Everything in the world is pertty relative.

I am just being a pain the @ss.

It was an interesting post, thank you.

Jan 18 07 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Julia wrote:

He didnt' complain about a model.

As far as a debate about what's a real art - that could be implied to anything at any time.
Everything in the world is pertty relative.

I am just being a pain the @ss.

It was an interesting post, thank you.

A rather photogenic pain though. smile

Jan 19 07 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm sure a lot of models flaked.. no one had time for TFP or Time For Paint. What model would stand around and pose for 2 copies of the same painting?

Jan 19 07 06:57 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Brandon Ching wrote:
I'm sure a lot of models flaked.. no one had time for TFP or Time For Paint. What model would stand around and pose for 2 copies of the same painting?

big_smile

Jan 19 07 07:38 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

The other corollary is tool/process snobbery.  Film photographers look down on digital guys.  Digital guys look down on guys who tweak/enhance.  Painters look down on photographers.  Sculpters look down on painters.

The artistic pecking order seems to forget that the final work is the "art", not the process of how you got there.

Jan 19 07 07:45 am Link