Forums > General Industry > Building a Flash-site question.

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Just curious, but what's the best software for building a flash site?  As much as I would love to have something more than I do, currently (2-1-5 Studios) but after having a webmaster completely flake on me, and bounce with everything site-related, I'm going to have learn how to do it on my own.  I'm not saying that all webmasters are flakes by any means, but I would just rather learn it myself.  Then I don't have anyone to blame other than me.

Any suggestions would be great!

-Major

Jan 17 07 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Learn about the program here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash

Download the program here (30 day free trial)

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/flashpro/

Learn how to use the program here:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=1

This program has a HUGE learning curve, Photoshop will seem like childs play in comparision.

Good luck...you're going to need it....

Jan 17 07 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Weird, I had a website guy "build" my flash-site.

And when I say "build", I actually mean "take all my money and run".

Good luck! I just stuck with building my own in Adobe GoLive

Jan 17 07 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Mickle Design Werks wrote:
Learn about the program here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash

Download the program here (30 day free trial)

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/flashpro/

Learn how to use the program here:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=1

This program has a HUGE learning curve, Photoshop will seem like childs play in comparision.

Good luck...you're going to need it....

Thanks for the info, my friend!  Looks like I have a bit of learning to do, here.......

Kristen Weaver wrote:
Weird, I had a website guy "build" my flash-site.

And when I say "build", I actually mean "take all my money and run".

HAH!  Well, he did better than my guy...  He actually build my HTML site, but it was only up for about a week before he deleted everything and dropping off the face of the planet!

Is the one you build in Adobe GoLive a flash site, or a HTML site?

-Major

Jan 18 07 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

I built mine in GoLive and it's just an HTML site (with the galleries in Flash). But it has excellent abilities to work between Flash. It was a little difficult to get used to, but I actually studied Dreamweaver a bit in a college web-class so it was similar. If you have the Adobe Creative Suite (I run CS2) it works well between programs.

I have one part of my site that is Flash (the galleries) http://www.kristenweaverphotography.com … raits.html

I actually found this online somewhere as a blank flash template. You open up the readme file with notepad and put in the file names. It was complicated to figure out, so I had a friend help me who's a little more web-saavy.

Then the rest of my site is plain html.

Jan 18 07 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

I use Swishmax. I can do the exact samethiing with Swishmax that can be done with Macromedia MX with half the time. I had used Macromedia in school, but never had any patients for it. I will eventually play with the program again. But realistically, I don't really need it. Swishmax is faster and just as powerful, cheaper and if you need help, there is a forum on the company's website. What will take 5 and plus more steps to make one thing happen in Macromedia, it only takes one in Swishmax.

Jan 18 07 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Not to be a pisser here, but is there a reason you want to do it in Flash? It's not the easiest to update once it's built, so if you're having someone else build it, expect to keep paying every time you want it updated. If you don't know Flash WELL and it's a photography site, I'd recommend against it.

Otherwise, there are programs like mentioned above that are Flash shortcuts.

Jan 18 07 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

PS2 has some cool flash templates in their web gallery feature. Check those out. Also Google "Simple Viewer". Swish is also good and makes it a lot easier than doing it all by hand. Although there are a couple really good flash tutorial dvds . I got one on Ebay for 6 bucks a year or so ago. I have not messed with Flash since about that time but I do recall it explained things step by step and made it seem very simple.  I have since forgotten when I learned,lol.

Jan 18 07 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Primal Lens wrote:
PS2 has some cool flash templates in their web gallery feature. Check those out. Also Google "Simple Viewer". Swish is also good and makes it a lot easier than doing it all by hand. Although there are a couple really good flash tutorial dvds . I got one on Ebay for 6 bucks a year or so ago. I have not messed with Flash since about that time but I do recall it explained things step by step and made it seem very simple.  I have since forgotten when I learned,lol.

Swish is a do it by hand software too, but it has a different approach than Macromedia. Both programs look very similar. Swishmax also offers templates too if the individual doesn't want to go the manual route. Swishmax can go from simple to just as complex as Macromedia but without all of the twenty steps to make one action happen.

Both of them have script programs for the users who want to take it to another level.

Jan 18 07 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Not to be a pisser here, but is there a reason you want to do it in Flash? It's not the easiest to update once it's built, so if you're having someone else build it, expect to keep paying every time you want it updated. If you don't know Flash WELL and it's a photography site, I'd recommend against it.

Otherwise, there are programs like mentioned above that are Flash shortcuts.

My main reasoning for a flash site is simply the "pop" it has over HTML sites.  As a photographer, I'm in the business of selling emotion and an image (not just literally, either).  When I put up a "simple" flash site, I'm futher enhancing the image I am selling.

Secondly, I like the idea that flash sites are, inherently, more dificult to steal from.  I'm not a moron.  I know that if I put it on the internet, someone's likely to jack it.  I'm going to make damned sure they have to work for it, though!

I'm definately going to look into the SwishMax.  It looks like it's going to be a bit easier to use.  And, though fairly intelligent, I would rather do it the easy way if at all possible.

Keep suggesations/information coming, if you have it for me!

-Major

Jan 18 07 04:32 pm Link

Model

SDA3

Long Beach, California, US

Jan 18 07 04:43 pm Link

Model

Kai

Long Beach, California, US

If you don't know Flash already, chances of having someone steal what you built is slim. It's not very intuitive and as stated before there is a huge learning curve. Plus unless you know how to use obfuscation to protect your swf, any idiot with a decompiler can steal it relatively easily. Sorry. Just like dvds and CDs if I can hear it or see it, I can copy it.

Jan 18 07 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Oh, I understand that it can be stolen.  Like I said, I harbor no illusions as to the security of my web images.  That being said, I don't like the "right click" and "Save Picture As"......  That's just too simple.

-Major

*Edited to remove a stupid comment.

Jan 18 07 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

215 Studios wrote:
Oh, I understand that it can be stolen.  Like I said, I harbor no illusions as to the security of my web images.  That being said, I don't like the "right click" and "Save Picture As"......  That's just too simple.

-Major

*Edited to remove a stupid comment.

well with Flash, there isn't a right click and save because all flash programs, Macromedia, Swishmax, Adobe Golive and other similar programs are put into a movie, making it hard to take. But there are programs out there where the images can be taken. But that is only posible for those who have nothing but alot of time on their hands.

Jan 18 07 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
well with Flash, there isn't a right click and save because all flash programs, Macromedia, Swishmax, Adobe Golive and other similar programs are put into a movie, making it hard to take. But there are programs out there where the images can be taken. But that is only posible for those who have nothing but alot of time on their hands.

Yeah, anyone that interested in stealing something is going to steal it, anyway.  I'm not worried about stopping a "professional" thief.  It's the MySpace-jackers that I'm interested in.  After all, "all locks do are keep honest people, honest."

This also doesn't address the look of the website, itself.  I'm actually more interested in the fact that Flash sites tend to look far more professional (in the photography industry) in my personal oppinion.

-Major

Jan 18 07 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

215 Studios wrote:
Yeah, anyone that interested in stealing something is going to steal it, anyway.  I'm not worried about stopping a "professional" thief.  It's the MySpace-jackers that I'm interested in.  After all, "all locks do are keep honest people, honest."

This also doesn't address the look of the website, itself.  I'm actually more interested in the fact that Flash sites tend to look far more professional (in the photography industry) in my personal oppinion.

-Major

Yeah the Flash sites do have a very professional look, but so do many html sites or a combination of the two. Just remember that the goal is to make sure that your site isn't a long loading website. Flash is known for this is can push the viewer away. Most of the time for the client it's all about viewing the work and easy navigation. Don't let the bells and whistles of Flash decieve you. Don't make it a handicap that can work against you.

Otherwise, you should be fine as far as theives trying to take your work in a flash movie. It's a hard step to do.

Jan 18 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Someone once told me the only way I could learn how to use flash is by sleeping with a person who knows how to use it and getting them to do it for me.

Jan 18 07 05:33 pm Link

Model

Larissa

Raleigh, Illinois, US

For all of those who need a web designer...Here ya go!!

Erica Chan: email her at [email protected]

She does wonderful work! And has great communication!

Here's the three she has done for me so far:

www.lalabrasil.com - personal site
www.brasiamore.com - clothing brand
www.demaurida.com - clothing brand

Tell her Larissa sent ya!

Jan 18 07 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Larissa wrote:
For all of those who need a web designer...Here ya go!!

Erica Chan: email her at [email protected]

She does wonderful work! And has great communication!

Here's the three she has done for me so far:

www.lalabrasil.com - personal site
www.brasiamore.com - clothing brand
www.demaurida.com - clothing brand

Tell her Larissa sent ya!

First site is fine,. But the other site takes time to load after you hit the enter button. She may want to go back and make some adjustments on the loading issues. Otherwise, you'll loose clients.

Jan 18 07 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I can CTRL-ALT-PRINT SCR and image I want, no matter what format your site is in. Doesn't seem worth the extra effort.

You could have an HTML site "pop" just as much as a Flash site if it's done right. Some people also don't care for Flash as it takes longer to navigate, display, etc.

Just food for thought.

Jan 18 07 06:34 pm Link