Forums > General Industry > fake eyelashes....

Makeup Artist

Miss Angela Simone

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Where do all you fabulous mua's get your fake lashes?

what brands do you use?

has anyone ever made their own lashes? custom done for shoots?

models - how do you feel about fake lashes??? like 'em? hate 'em?

May 06 05 01:24 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

The adhesive irritates my eyes, so I hate 'em. Manic Panic makes some faily spiffy looking ones, as does Matesse (I think it's a local brand). I don't know about their quality, though.

May 06 05 01:32 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Love 'em!  Nature did not bless me in this regard, so in fact the only way for me to look at all natural in photos is to wear the fakes. 

I've found that the spiky ones look ridiculous, so I just get either the regular brown/black, or the more dramatic and thick black ones.  (The black ones I buy are real hair, or at least that's what the packaging says.)  Everyone's seemed to approve so far!

(I'm not sure about brands, unfortunately - I just pick up whatever Walgreen's has.)

Hope that helps!

May 06 05 02:23 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

i like wearing fakies...had to when i was a dancer back in high school for competitions, now i just order different pairs of different colors and designs for shoots and such, its just different and cool and makes my eyes stand out....i usualy order my lashes through dance catalogs and such.

May 06 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I love them, as well as very long fake nails.

May 06 05 02:31 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I won't do a photo shoot where I am not wearing them.  When I first started llamaing I never did and then I had someone put them on me and I loved the way they turned out on film.  Now I am addicted to them even when I go out on Saturday night!

May 06 05 02:42 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Well,I never used them before because my natural lashes are pretty long/thick..but I certainly wouldn't be adverse to trying them!

May 06 05 02:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Miss Angela Simone

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted by theda: 
The adhesive irritates my eyes, so I hate 'em. Manic Panic makes some faily spiffy looking ones, as does Matesse (I think it's a local brand). I don't know about their quality, though.

do you know if you are allergic to latex? that could be why the adhesive is irritating you.....

May 06 05 03:05 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by angela mcmillan: 
do you know if you are allergic to latex? that could be why the adhesive is irritating you.....

I'm not allergic to latex. I am allergic to metal, but that doesn't seem relevant.

May 06 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by theda: 

I AM!  IS THERE ANY ADHESIVE THATS NOT GONNA BE A PROBLEM???
MUA's please contact me!

May 07 05 08:48 am Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

what brands do you use?

I never have worn them.. only once and they are a bitch . I don't need them, mine are naturally long. Sorry to sound cocky lol, Im not trying to be.

May 07 05 09:08 am Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Posted by theda: 

I think a lot of people of allergic to latex.. a lot of latex has amonia in it. I broke out when using latex on my skin.

May 07 05 09:09 am Link

Model

Michele Garris

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Hi All,
Ardel makes some very natural ones. They just add enough fullness without looking fake. I used them for my commercial headshot that I have here in my profile. They are # 53 and can be bought at Rite Aid, Longs Drugs, Savon, etc.

Susi, I agree with you, I love wearing them for a night out too!
Michele

May 07 05 11:41 am Link

Model

Isabel

Brattleboro, Vermont, US

I get mine all over the place.  You can get them at drug stores and wal mart and in the mall at claires.

They dont bother me.  I like them actually.

Isabel

what brands do you use?

May 07 05 11:55 am Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I love fake eyelashes in different colors esp hot pink.
I have very long eyelashes as it is so that's not why I use them because I lack long eyelashes.
I just like the colors and the fact I don't have to scrub colored mascara off My lashes.
as for brand not sure?whatever the photog's make-up artists use and bring to My shoots.
xxx
MP

May 07 05 12:00 pm Link

Model

Mandy

Orlando, Florida, US

How exactly do you apply them so that they actually adhere? Every time I've tried to pull off the look, I couldn't even get them to stay... They'd fall off. Perhaps I'm not putting them on correctly.

I need all the help I can get with lashes. My natural lashes are long, but the color is a soft reddish blonde, so they are very hard to see. I usually use lots of darkest black mascara to make them stand out (not gobby, mind you, but groomed and natural -- yet dark -- looking).

May 07 05 12:36 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

The key is less glue, as strange as that sounds. I place them and then carefully pat down along the adhesive back very lightly, with a fingertip or Q tip.

I love, love, love fake lashes. I wore them all through high school for dance team and competitions and even dances. Nothing like them.

May 07 05 12:50 pm Link

Model

Yaya

Marietta, Georgia, US

Oooh I LOVE faux lashes. It seems they're becoming more and more popular, I've been seeing them just about everywhere. All beauty supply stores like Sally carry racks of them.
For the most artistic lashes, Black Cherry is an awesome brand.

May 07 05 02:18 pm Link

Hair Stylist

lauramartinbeauty

Long Beach, California, US

Do not use the liquidy type of glue, clear or black, that is sold in little vials - it will burn the eyes. Use the grey stuff that comes in a tube (it dries black).

May 10 05 02:43 am Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

I have used false lashes for years. They really bring out your eyes and make them pop. But I have discovered the best adhesive for lashes is a small bottle of liquid latex. All you have to do is brush the glue on and it controls how much you put on. Better than a messy tube anyday.

May 10 05 04:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Alexandra Paris: 
I have used false lashes for years. They really bring out your eyes and make them pop. But I have discovered the best adhesive for lashes is a small bottle of liquid latex. All you have to do is brush the glue on and it controls how much you put on. Better than a messy tube anyday.

hmmm... I use the tube glue... (this where crowd of models and MUAs everywhere go,"Ack!, What! Say it isn't so!")  So far I have had no problems...  nor do I put so much on that the glue is noticable... 

I like it like Mr. Miagee... I keep it simple. Glue on... Glue off... Peel on... Peel off...   

May 10 05 10:08 am Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Ive used fake lashes lots.  And I get them at Wal-Mart. =x
They're Not Extremely Expensive and It Gets The Job Done. 

May 11 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

Brittini Ricci

Edwards, California, US

I use ardell sometimes they are great and I use number 53  here is the web site the glue is great to

http://www.madamemadeline.com/online_shoppe/index.htm

or bye them at rite aid

May 12 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mauro DiBenedetto

Tampa, Florida, US

I've had models put them on and not be able to keep their eyes open.  I need to find lighter ones!

M.

May 12 05 11:18 pm Link

Model

Kyandi

Houston, Texas, US

i love fake lashes. i use them all of the time, but i heard that they can damage your real lashes, so its good to take a break from wearing them. im not sure what brands i use, because i buy whatever is at the beauty supply, but i remember one being called like.. "red cherry" or something like that. best lashes ever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/ … keupCU.jpg These had rhinestones on them! I love them to death!

i have these other lashes that are like "shieldwipers" and they're all slanty...i dont think that you could have lashes like this, so fake ones are neat for glamour or fantasy shots! and i like layering my lashes by glueing them together for a really wild look.

May 14 05 05:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

petra

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

best natural-looking lashes:  ardell (full strip or individuals)
best diva/hottie lashes:  mac
best 'drag queen outrageous' lashes:  manic panic

i always use surgical glue.  mac sells it.  because it's made for open incisions, it's guaranteed not to sting.  i've used it for years and never had a problem.

May 14 05 05:36 pm Link

Model

Angie Rae

Lawton, Iowa, US

My eyelashes are pretty long, but I would actually love to wear some fakies for a retro shoot. Please let me know which brands are the best...or look the best. Thanks girls!

May 14 05 05:44 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by petra: 
i always use surgical glue.  mac sells it.  because it's made for open incisions, it's guaranteed not to sting.  i've used it for years and never had a problem.

A-ha! I'll try that.

May 14 05 10:33 pm Link

Model

Shanda

Gresham, Oregon, US

I get mine at Walmart #53 I've been wearing them everyday for four years and I constantly get compliments on them half the time people don't even know they're fake!

May 14 05 10:43 pm Link

Hair Stylist

lauramartinbeauty

Long Beach, California, US

One of my agencies is now offering eyelash extensions, they last up to 2 weeks or 2 months depending on your everyday wear and tear of them. If anyone is interested, please message me for their contact info. smile

May 16 05 01:54 am Link