Forums > General Industry > Dark, grainy photos. (need photoshop tips)

Photographer

nobleshoots

Halifax, Massachusetts, US

Hi, I need help creating photo's like this:

https://www.seshinbikes.com/images/grainy.JPG
I am new to the game, I don't even know what this style is called, or how to create it!
Any tips would be awesome!
Thanks
ted

(p.s. I found this photo somewhere online, great job to the photographer! Sorry I didn't credit you, or the model.)

Jan 17 07 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

my guess is that there isn't  much PS in this image beyond touchups.  Its just great lighting and exposure...the grainyness can be added in post tho...too many ways and techniques for that to list here...but start with the "add noise" filter, and mess with layer modes (overlay, soft light, etc.)

Jan 17 07 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I agree with Rich. Although I believe the model and the background may have been adjusted separately for brightness, shadow/highlight, and contrast to bring them to this result. As for grain, PS has a film grain filter that may have been used, either that or noise, may have been added. The highlights though, indicate some awesome lighting.

Jan 17 07 04:29 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I can't tell you how to do it, but I can tell you that it was shot by Robert Voltaire.

Jan 17 07 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

you can get an effect approaching this by using the add noise filter on a duplicate layer. Change that layer's blend mode to Multiply. Play around with different amounts of noise, opacity and blend modes to find what suits your style

then convert to a "chocolaty" duotone

Jan 17 07 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Shyly wrote:
I can't tell you how to do it, but I can tell you that it was shot by Robert Voltaire.

His MM # is 8281.  Chech out his portfolio, and down along the bottom is the copyrighted photo.  You might write to him direct and see if he will give any hints.

Jan 17 07 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

nobleshoots

Great thanks for much!

Jan 17 07 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Beach wrote:
you can get an effect approaching this by using the add noise filter on a duplicate layer. Change that layer's blend mode to Multiply. Play around with different amounts of noise, opacity and blend modes to find what suits your style

then convert to a "chocolaty" duotone

Forgot to mention that should all be done after converting to greyscale.

Jan 17 07 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

nobleshoots

Beach wrote:

Forgot to mention that should all be done after converting to greyscale.

A great help!
thank you!

ted
And thanks to Robert for the inspiration, I love his style.

Jan 17 07 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

nobleshoots

Got it, thanks for the help
https://www.seshinbikes.com/images/adriana.jpg

thanks for your help, and the looks of Adriana, unknown photographer

Jan 17 07 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Oxford Artistic Photo

New Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

I don't have a problem getting "Graineyness in"  My problem is to remove the grain in my picts....go get more clear shots.  I think most of my problem is that the pict was shot too dark, than adding light brings out the "grain".

Jan 17 07 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

FantasyFoto wrote:
I don't have a problem getting "Graineyness in"  My problem is to remove the grain in my picts....go get more clear shots.  I think most of my problem is that the pict was shot too dark, than adding light brings out the "grain".

Print film might have an exposure "lattitude" of about 5 F/stops. It can be overexposed about 300% or underexposed about 200%. Nothing beats right on, but some people prefer a bit of overexposure to get more saturated colors. In the digital world, this "lattitude" is significantly reduced, making the proper exposure very critical. While it is true that digital images, especially if shot in RAW mode, have "some" lattitude, grain, and loss of highlight or shadow detail are often the price paid for improper exposure.

Kodak makes a nice PS plug-in filter to reduce noise.

Jan 17 07 10:24 pm Link