Forums > General Industry > Sharing my best ideas with people I don't know

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

So I (and this may be delusional) think I have a lot of neat ideas for photo shoots. And although I've been here only a month, a few times, I have been asked via a PM to share my ideas with a potential model.

I am hesitant, because just as I've noticed some here are paranoid that their images will be stolen, I don't want my photographic visions stolen before I can create them. Anyone else feel this way?

I'd much rather meet a potential model first, and then share the "best" of my ideas once they have looked into my eyes, and I've looked into theirs, and we have a sense of each other...

Jan 16 07 05:26 pm Link

Jan 16 07 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

I don't mind sharing any of my ideas, but most the time I keep them to myself simply because I'm not sure how to word what I'm looking for or trying to accomplish.  This makes me look/sound an idiot when actually I'm just not good at expressing my mental images without showing you. 

I like to make sure I have all the details worked out, too.  That way I can answer all questions once I've made public my idea.  Basically, I would rather see it produced in the best possible manor than just have it produced by me.  If someone does it better, I wanna see how.

-Major

Jan 16 07 05:58 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

It can't be stolen if it's not a cliche.

There are too many details and too many ways to show the same idea, that if one would try to steal it before seing your image - it will never trun out the same.  Unless you describe it in super-persice detail.

On the other hand if I shoot tfp, I'd like to know what the idea is before meeting people.

Jan 16 07 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

i kinda agree with you.  how to do something is one thing, but the actual idea youre wanting to express is another.  i often think concepting is the toughest part of good projects.

Jan 16 07 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Julia wrote:
It can't be stolen if it's not a cliche.

There are too many details and too many ways to show the same idea, that if one would try to steal it before seing your image - it will never trun out the same.  Unless you describe it in super-persice detail.

On the other hand if I shoot tfp, I'd like to know what the idea is before meeting people.

I think that was his point. Cliche. But even if it's not a cliche, which is more of a opinion than about someone wanting to know what he does. The fact remains that there are people who still will want to know what you do. For them or to them, it's something they may have never seen before or don't know what to do.

We all have a different vision on how we see things. While there are similarities, there are differences too. Some subtle others above subtle.

Jan 16 07 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

BendingLight

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

g uk wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/share.htm

Bookmarked !  A lovely and generous concept.... Thank you.....

Jan 16 07 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

t_lacki

Baku, Bakı, Azerbaijan

i dont share my ideas coz i haven't got any.

Jan 16 07 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

I for one would love to give a concept here and give all photogs/models two week to show their version of it.  Besides the model itself, I bet every shot would entail a different feel.

Jan 16 07 08:53 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

t_lacki wrote:
i dont share my ideas coz i haven't got any.

Last time I read your profile it said that you are affraid of Americans and in fact gone ...

Happy resurrection, I guess https://foolstown.com/sm/kos.gif

Jan 16 07 09:56 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

On the subject ....
I agree with Julia that even exact same location and pose would not guarantee same result at all.
In fact I wish someone would try to steal some of my ideas. I'd be happy to see their implementation of it

Jan 16 07 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

You know, I'll bet no matter how good my ideas are in my own head someone has done them better before.

I guess it's sort of irrational to worry that someone else will beat me to the punch, so to speak.

And you all are right, when I do something, it's going to be different. I'm not a "hey, my idea is for you to stand on train tracks with black tape over your nipples holding a guitar while I shoot pictures" kind of guy smile Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 16 07 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

g uk wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/share.htm

I fully believe in sharing everything technical. For the past ten years, I've made my living in a technical field and I always share what I know about information technology with my co-workers. This is too everyone's benefit.

I guess I wasn't sure about sharing creatively in the same manner.

Jan 16 07 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

t_lacki

Baku, Bakı, Azerbaijan

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Last time I read your profile it said that you are affraid of Americans and in fact gone ...

Happy resurrection, I guess https://foolstown.com/sm/kos.gif

living without you was unbearable...

Jan 17 07 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Studio 3-1-oh

The proof is in the pudding, so best to not be puddin a great idea on the web to be copied or stolen.  Get a great idea, put it together, take a great picture, then have people admire the end result!

Jan 17 07 12:32 am Link