Forums > General Industry > remember - your image is 1 right click away from

Photographer

okbyme

Atlanta, Georgia, US

being stolen.
So, when you see all these "show me your best ass shot!" It just could be from a person needing content for a book, internet pay site, or private collection......

About the only thing OMP has done that is pretty effective, but NOT TOTALLY, is try to prevent the right click quick copying of images..

just be aware...

Jan 16 07 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

That sure would be a crappy quality book.

Jan 16 07 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

lmao

Jan 16 07 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

If they can make a decent-quality book from a 50% compressed JPG file less than 400px across, I'd like to see it.

And since my photos are all registered, I'd enjoy getting statutory damages if I found out.

More likely... who cares?

Jan 16 07 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Show me your best Ripped Off Image!

Jan 16 07 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Baos_ca

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Unless you re able to deactivate the "Print Screen" command, then don't even bother disabling the right click menu...

Jan 16 07 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

I thought the op was going to say 1 click away from spank bank.

Jan 16 07 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

okbyme wrote:
being stolen.
So, when you see all these "show me your best ass shot!" It just could be from a person needing content for a book, internet pay site, or private collection......

About the only thing OMP has done that is pretty effective, but NOT TOTALLY, is try to prevent the right click quick copying of images..

just be aware...

Welcome to the internet!

Jan 16 07 01:29 pm Link

Model

Jeramy Junkie

Richmond, Virginia, US

Baos_ca wrote:
Unless you re able to deactivate the "Print Screen" command, then don't even bother disabling the right click menu...

I never thought of that...

Jan 16 07 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

That's why I don't do t&a shots, and I also don't post in that type of forum. That, and anyone who would post a full image or a link to one in a forum or the such is just lacking a few neutrons up in the attic if you know what I mean.

Jan 16 07 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

As a musician I've come across our albums copied, pirated, even moved from one medium to another all over the world without our permission and/or knowledge.  I've also had "professional" companies steal our music, stick it on the web for 99 cent download and then tell me "oh! we didn't think you'd mind if we did that".  Never mind the fact that they never told us and never paid any royalties.....

The point being, if someone wants to steal my images, there isn't much I can do about it.  I'm not going to worry about it.  I know - and they know - that such stolen images aren't their's and, eventually, the Truth about their abilities (or lack thereof) as photographers WILL come out.

-R

Jan 16 07 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
That sure would be a crappy quality book.

I love you.

Jan 16 07 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

okbyme wrote:

Although I admire their good intentions, the R-click disable proves more harm than good. It effectively nullifies many web-browsers most useful feature...the tabs.

Jan 16 07 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Paranoia will destroy ya`

Jan 16 07 03:54 pm Link

Model

Michael Fulton

Scary thought but true. The private collection part is kinda funny.

Jan 16 07 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

With the utmost respect to the photographer, I sometimes right click so that I can see their images with a magnifing glass. Sometimes there are details that the web
wont show. Graphics, Type etc. Then I remove them from my hard drive Immediately. I think it is a great feature.

Jan 16 07 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

MS Foto

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

Baos_ca wrote:

It's true Print Screen will capture what you're looking at, but that's really a lot like recording a song off the radio with a microphone; not really a high quality copy. Still, I think the best way to deter people from poaching your image is to keep them low res with a watermark.....

Jan 16 07 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

not like they are gonna make much off a screen print...

Jan 16 07 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

okbyme wrote:

It only takes a few seconds to figure out how to defeat OMP's "pretty effective" method, then an extra 1.0 seconds per image to copy them. Anyone serious about stealing images would also simply download one of the many programs that allow them to defeat the "really effective" methods as well.

Jan 16 07 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Print to screen command? HA..HA! and more HA!

How many of you have multiple monitors? Hell you dont need that..ust left click and drag the image to yur desk top. Hell I can steal images from a flash file. Music? Geeesh!

Turn on Final Cut Pro or editing system..go to music venue of choice...turn on audio channel..hit record..then hit play in ITUNES..COMCAST..whatever....record away..

Nothing is fool proof.
Steal my stuff and I catch you...awesome..I'm gonna get paid...I dont rip off peoples stuff, just bad karma..

Plus, why....do your own ish ....

Some people are just lazy..
Then again, I rather you steal my photos than jack my car at gun point..

Werd up!

Jan 17 07 03:11 am Link

Photographer

WILCREATIVE

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Vance wrote:
Print to screen command? HA..HA! and more HA!

How many of you have multiple monitors? Hell you dont need that..ust left click and drag the image to yur desk top. Hell I can steal images from a flash file. Music? Geeesh!

Turn on Final Cut Pro or editing system..go to music venue of choice...turn on audio channel..hit record..then hit play in ITUNES..COMCAST..whatever....record away..

Nothing is fool proof.
Steal my stuff and I catch you...awesome..I'm gonna get paid...I dont rip off peoples stuff, just bad karma..

Plus, why....do your own ish ....

Some people are just lazy..
Then again, I rather you steal my photos than jack my car at gun point..

Werd up!

The man speaks the truth

Jan 17 07 04:54 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Be very very scared.

RB

Ps. Be aware that you are totally paranoid and probably suffer from a disorder that probably effects your ability to achieve rational thought to. I suffer from insomnia every once and a while.

Jan 17 07 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Michael Raveney wrote:
not like they are gonna make much off a screen print...

I just grabbed a few OMP images.. The resolution was damned good..Plus a little skillful PS and bingo...Pretty damned nice prints.. 8 by 10 to boot..

go figure..

Jan 17 07 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

OK, if this doesn't start a flaming war I'll be amazed.  How many of you think it is wrong (ethically) to download an image to keep just for yourself.  No publishing it elsewhere in any form.  Just to study technique or to keep in a collection as an "Idea Book."

Jan 17 07 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Eric wrote:
OK, if this doesn't start a flaming war I'll be amazed.  How many of you think it is wrong (ethically) to download an image to keep just for yourself.  No publishing it elsewhere in any form.  Just to study technique or to keep in a collection as an "Idea Book."

I've done it, but usually I like the artist overall so I book mark the site and reference it for study. No need to take up space on my drives.

Jan 17 07 07:34 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

All you have to do is to go to your Internet cache after you viewed the image and it is right there for you to copy, save or whatever.

All disabling the right click does is to make it inconvenient for the honest people to do their job.

I often need to forward a model's pics to a client before I book them.  The clients want JPG's not links.  All OMP is doing is to make it less convenient to book their talent.

Jan 17 07 07:42 am Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

Eric wrote:

"Idea Book" i got that... and i have no problem if someone has that with some of my images... imitation is the best form of flatery

Jan 17 07 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
All you have to do is to go to your Internet cache after you viewed the image and it is right there for you to copy, save or whatever.

All disabling the right click does is to make it inconvenient for the honest people to do their job.

I often need to forward a model's pics to a client before I book them.  The clients want JPG's not links.  All OMP is doing is to make it less convenient to book their talent.

Good point, though I am online so much as a part of my business everyday, there are a ton of images in my cache. Though I am sure not everyone is online to that extent. Good point Alan..

Jan 17 07 07:45 am Link