Forums > General Industry > Correcting multiple images in photoshop quickly?

Photographer

Oscar Rocman

Cleveland, Ohio, US

If I am correcting 50+ images in Photoshop, and they all have the same issues, how can I take multiple corrections and simply apply all of them as a group to a bunch of images?

Let's say all 50 images need -10 red saturation, a little white balance, +15 brightness and +25 contrast... can I save all of these touch ups under a name and then when I open the next 49 images, I can simply apply this batch of corrections with 3 mouse clicks to each photo?

Or is that a macro that needs to be recorded and played back? (which I am still unfamiliar with)

Jan 15 07 12:36 am Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Create a batch action, easy

Jan 15 07 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Which version of photoshop and what type of files are they?

Jan 15 07 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Open one of the images that you need to adjust.

Go into the actions pallette and click the "new action" icon.

It will create a new action and start recording.  Perform the steps to adjust your image and do a "save as".

Go back to the actions palette and stop the recording.

Go into file->automate->batch, select the files and the action you just created.  The save as step in the action allows you to select "override save-as" to save the files to another directory.  Alternatively, you can leave out the save as step and let the batch command save and close if you just want to over write the existing files.

I usually use bridge to select the files to be batched, but you can also select a directory.

Jan 15 07 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Boho Foto

Atchison, Kansas, US

Gary Davis wrote:
Open one of the images that you need to adjust.

Go into the actions pallette and click the "new action" icon.

It will create a new action and start recording.  Perform the steps to adjust your image and do a "save as".

Go back to the actions palette and stop the recording.

Go into file->automate->batch, select the files and the action you just created.  The save as step in the action allows you to select "override save-as" to save the files to another directory.  Alternatively, you can leave out the save as step and let the batch command save and close if you just want to over write the existing files.

I usually use bridge to select the files to be batched, but you can also select a directory.

Thanks for this info! At first, I was thinking I wouldn't want to batch process as I want to edit each image specifically, but there is something to be said for doing a batch action on the basics, then a little tweaking. I think that could save me a lot of time, because I am spending WAY too much time in PS post shooting.

Jan 15 07 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Oscar Rocman

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Thanks for your replies everyone!!  I using CS2 on my iMac and 4.0 (yes, circa 1996 - it's even compatible with Windows 3.1!) on my PC working with Nikon JPEG files - 6MP average 2.5MB in size each.

I do have one more question, however.  Are there settings anywhere to calibrate a monitor so that I am looking at the best picture I can when color correcting?  I keep my PC monitor at 75 brightness and 100 contrast, but my iMac is an LCD monitor, therefore the image changes dramatically depending on the angle you are looking at it.  Keeping it pointed downward gives me the brightest picture, but I'm sure that's not the best. Which is way I am thinking of color-correcting on my PC and just doing everything else on the Mac.

None of these are being printed, so print color is not an issue.  I just don't want to spend hours correcting photos, only to find that 99% of the population sees them being too dark or too bright because of how I adjusted them on my own monitor.

Thanks everyone!

Jan 15 07 01:49 pm Link