Forums > General Industry > On spelling.

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

It's fine to say you're an "aspiring" model. 

It's not really your place to say whether or not you're an "inspiring" model.

Being an "aspirin" model means you've landed quite the commercial job. Congratulations.

Follow this handy little guide when you're emailing photographers and/or making your MySpace pages.

Have a great day!

Jan 13 07 08:27 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

On a similar note--

Models, please don't ask people to check out your "photo's".  Photographers, please don't call yourself [such and such] "Studio's". 

Unless you say something like:
"What do you think of this photo's composition?"
"Here are a list of my studio's clients."

You should not have an apostrophe in there!

Proper plural spellings:

photos
studios

Apostrophe abuse is bad.

Jan 14 07 02:43 pm Link

Model

Donezo

Los Angeles, California, US

and god damn it, "a lot" is two words.  not "alot". 

a lot.

Jan 14 07 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Your main picture in a chat room is your "avatar", not your "aviator".

Jan 14 07 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Just download the Google toolbar and use the spell check function. It isn't perfect, but it helps.

Jan 14 07 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Caspers Creations wrote:
Just download the Google toolbar and use the spell check function. It isn't perfect, but it helps.

Firefox does it on the fly as you type, like Office. It's a great browser.

Jan 14 07 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Beach wrote:

Even better.  My point was.....use something to help out with the spelling.

Jan 14 07 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Star

You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count.
Winnie the Pooh
The House at Pooh Corner

Jan 15 07 12:21 am Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

"Irregardless" is NOT a word!

Jan 15 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

thought it was "ass-burnin" model

Jan 15 07 12:34 am Link

Model

Rose Summers

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, US

My biggest pet peeve is using "your" in place of "you're" (or vice versa) and using "to" in place of "too". I've seen sooo much of the first one lately..

Jan 15 07 12:43 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
On a similar note--

Models, please don't ask people to check out your "photo's".  Photographers, please don't call yourself [such and such] "Studio's". 

Unless you say something like:
"What do you think of this photo's composition?"
"Here are a list of my studio's clients."

You should not have an apostrophe in there!

Proper plural spellings:

photos
studios

Apostrophe abuse is bad.

Ill try to remember that but I have a hard enough time spelling my own name..english go figure

Jan 15 07 09:19 am Link

Model

Bryanna Nova

Milford, New Jersey, US

Christopher Brady wrote:

Hmm... not the man I want to butt heads with - but it is a word, an adverb to be exact, it's just not considered "standard" English because of it's double-negatives "ir" and "less".

But it is in fact considered a "word" by Webster's standards

;o)

Jan 15 07 09:47 am Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Christopher Brady wrote:

And utilize is a horrible word that people should not use. Why bother with seven letters when three will do?

Jan 15 07 09:50 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Bryanna Nicole wrote:

Hmm... not the man I want to butt heads with - but it is a word, an adverb to be exact, it's just not considered "standard" English because of it's double-negatives "ir" and "less".

;o)

use it in a sentence

Jan 15 07 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Jenn Baumann wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is using "your" in place of "you're" (or vice versa) and using "to" in place of "too". I've seen sooo much of the first one lately..

That bother''s me two. Allot. In fact, I'd say sooo much.

Jan 15 07 10:03 am Link

Model

Bryanna Nova

Milford, New Jersey, US

Jessalyn wrote:
use it in a sentence

Now I could be a wise ass.. and say "Irregardless seems to be moving slowly in the direction of standardization." (as per Wikipedia) - but I like you Jessalyn (beautiful name btw) so here you go -

Irregardless of what most people think, Webster considers it a word, non-standard English, but still a word. In most cases, one can use "regardless" and convey nearly the same meaning, however the use of "double negatives" tends to convey a much stronger negative connotation.

Webster's Dictionary

I found this interesting as well ;o)

World Wide Words

Jan 15 07 10:46 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jenn Baumann wrote:

Let's not forget there, they're and their.

Jan 15 07 10:58 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Bryanna Nicole wrote:
Now I could be a wise ass.. and say "Irregardless seems to be moving slowly in the direction of standardization." (as per Wikipedia) - but I like you Jessalyn (beautiful name btw) so here you go -

Irregardless of what most people think, Webster considers it a word, non-standard English, but still a word. In most cases, one can use "regardless" and convey nearly the same meaning, however the use of "double negatives" tends to convey a much stronger negative connotation.

Webster's Dictionary

World Wide Words

Webster put it in their book because people keep looking it up. It's an example that a use is misused so oftern that dictionary writers are forced to include them.

Jan 15 07 11:03 am Link

Clothing Designer

Damsel White Label

Houston, Texas, US

I hear "irregardless" used correctly quite often.  It always sounds odd to me, but so do a lot of proper grammatical things.

My worst offense: forgetting the "to be"
i.e.
I say, "My laundry needs washed."
then my fiance corrects me, "Your laundry needs TO BE washed!"

Jan 15 07 11:19 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Natalie Miller Designs wrote:
I hear "irregardless" used correctly quite often.

Right, and Photoshop is a verb.

Jan 15 07 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

too many left-brainers for me

Jan 15 07 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

English is not what I am all about...... Photography is !

Jan 15 07 11:25 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Beach wrote:

It can't help with differentiating between the proper use of "your" or "you're." Or "there" vs. "their" unforutnately.

Jan 15 07 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

What is sad is that so many people from other countries can speak multiple languages and we can't even take a little time to master a language we have spoken our entire lives.  I have seen photographers here who can't even correctly spell things pertaining to our own profession.  How many times have I seen aperture spelled incorrectly here?  Too many to count. 

I saw a sign once, and even took a picture of it, in the bus maintenance facility above a door which read as follows:

Through these door's walk the world's best driver's and assistant's.

At a school!  Enough said.

Jan 15 07 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Beach

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

It can't help with differentiating between the proper use of "your" or "you're." Or "there" vs. "their" unforutnately.

Baby steps, I suppose.

Jan 15 07 11:34 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Bryanna Nicole wrote:

Webster's Dictionary

World Wide Words

well I tend to make up a bunch of words when I'm angry to convey a much stronger negative connotation, but that doesn't make them words tongue

Example:

"I am angry!!" is much stronger if I say "I am friggin'angry!!"

lol

Jan 15 07 11:43 am Link

Model

Adieu

This isn't spelling, but I hate it when people call photographers 'fur-tographers'.

Jan 15 07 11:44 am Link

Model

Bryanna Nova

Milford, New Jersey, US

Modles - God save us all!

Jan 15 07 11:50 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Beach wrote:
Your main picture in a chat room is your "avatar", not your "aviator".

avitar bothers the crap out of me too. or just the abbreviation avi is annoying.

Jan 15 07 11:51 am Link

Photographer

David A Bliss

Portland, Oregon, US

From the Webster definition:

Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Jan 15 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Christopher Brady wrote:

Bryanna Nicole wrote:

;o)

She seems irreconcilable about irregardless.

Jan 15 07 12:23 pm Link

Model

Rose Summers

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, US

Dawn Winter wrote:

Let's not forget there, they're and their.

Darn, can't believe I forgot those..

Jan 15 07 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
What is sad is that so many people from other countries can speak multiple languages and we can't even take a little time to master a language we have spoken our entire lives.  I have seen photographers here who can't even correctly spell things pertaining to our own profession.  How many times have I seen aperture spelled incorrectly here?  Too many to count. 

I saw a sign once, and even took a picture of it, in the bus maintenance facility above a door which read as follows:

Through these door's walk the world's best driver's and assistant's.

At a school!  Enough said.

Some people are also bothered by sentence structure, once.

Jan 15 07 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

Tiff Marie wrote:
and god damn it, "a lot" is two words.  not "alot". 

a lot.

AMEN~

Jan 15 07 12:43 pm Link

Model

Tachibana

Bryanna Nicole wrote:

Webster's Dictionary

World Wide Words

Webster's dictionary LOVES to include colloquialisms and plenty of words that don't make sense including and not limited to "STUPIDER," because they want foreigners who are learning the language to be able to look up these words and get a grasp of the meaning as well as create a way for them to be educated and pointed in the right direction of the word  Correct or NOT.  It clearly states that this "word" is not proper english and should not be used... Irregardless really isn't a word.  It's a made up word that is being used far too much.  If you use the same rules as you are to define the validity of this as being an actual word, I can give you a list of words that I made up from other words that I think should be considered real words...

Jan 15 07 12:53 pm Link

Model

Tachibana

A photographer actually e-mailed me recently and wrote, "Im loking 4 mail modles with eggy looks and I think you be purfect..."

!And that was just a fragment.... Let's just say I didn't work with him...

Jan 15 07 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Eggy, I like that.

Jan 15 07 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Bryanna Nicole wrote:

Webster's Dictionary

World Wide Words

------
Bravo, Bryanna! I very much enjoyed this.

Jan 15 07 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Jenn Baumann wrote:

Very simple solution for the grammatically challenged: spend $5 on a copy of The Elements of Style.  Read it, live it, use it. Perfect grammar guaranteed.

Jan 15 07 02:12 pm Link