Forums > General Industry > --> Got a callback from ELITE models...

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

yeah, the really really big one.
I went in for open-calls, they took my snap,
they called me back a day later to ask me to come back...

question, does Elite models have any big male models?

I know they're known for chicks,
but maybe they have successful males under the radar?

Thank you!

Matt

Jan 13 07 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

They're not know for their male models, but I'm sure the ones they take on are working.

Jan 13 07 06:24 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

Congratulations!!! and don't sleep on it...

Jan 13 07 06:25 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ched wrote:
They're not know for their male models, but I'm sure the ones they take on are working.

yeah, I mean I "assume" I'm getting an offer since they bothered
to call me and bring me back in...

I also assume that with all their connections, their male models must
be experiencing some degree of success?

Matt

Jan 13 07 06:25 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thats awesome, congrats! ^_^ I wish you the best of luck!

[reality is just a dream. i am your nightmare]
Rose Noir

Jan 13 07 06:28 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

anyone else have an opinion on Elite's male models?

Jan 13 07 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

yes, they will get you work. work for you = money for them.

Jan 13 07 07:17 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

CONGRATS!!!!

Jan 13 07 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Congratulations.

With your height (5'11") I am a tad surprised that they want you to come back.... you must have wowed 'em.

Are they looking to sign you for their fashion or lifestyle group?

Jan 13 07 07:28 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:
Congratulations.

With your height (5'11") I am a tad surprised that they want you to come back.... you must have wowed 'em.

Are they looking to sign you for their fashion or lifestyle group?

I suppose I'll find out,
but I'm pretty sure I only marked "fashion"
in the stats sheet

Jan 13 07 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Matt_582 wrote:
yeah, I mean I "assume" I'm getting an offer since they bothered
to call me and bring me back in...

Matt

It's dangerous to make assumptions like that!!   

just wait and see how it goes, they may just be thinning the numbers and you made the 1st cut.

but if you are in, then congratulations!!!

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Jan 13 07 08:00 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

If you are in then congrats!

I would not worry about whether their male models are pretty successful or not (unless you have other offers right now).... either way I would take the contract, then (if it is not an exclusive contract) you can have them submit you to other agencies, or when you are finished for first contract with them, you could try going to other agencies. All I mean is, if it is you only choice, go with it either way, they are reputable and can get you atleast some good paid work (hopefully major paid work)!!!

Jan 13 07 08:14 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jon Roberts wrote:

just wait and see how it goes, they may just be thinning the numbers and you made the 1st cut.

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

its not dangerous, lol,
its just the most logical explanation

and I don't think agencies really do a series of, "cuts"
out of open-calls... this isn't a sports team ;p

Jan 13 07 08:14 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

Matt_582 wrote:

its not dangerous, lol,

He is just saying not to go spending money you don't have yet. Every agency is different. Some do cuts a few times, others want you to sign the second time you come in!

Jan 13 07 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Matt_582 wrote:
and I don't think agencies really do a series of, "cuts" out of open-calls... this isn't a sports team ;p

Oh, wow, you're new.

Sometimes they cut everyone. That is pretty much how it works. They cut people who are already in (but not making money) as well.

Every model they take on requires an enormous financial and logistical commitment on the part of an agency, and if you're not an earner you're gone.

Jan 13 07 08:26 pm Link

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

Matt_582 wrote:

its not dangerous, lol,

Actually they do.  I am with Elite out of Atlanta. 

Something tells me you have this industry twisted.  Matt, forget about successful male or female models.  Just strive to make money and be creative with your work.  Remember that you are your own business.  If indeed you are a model then you are a work of art (in theory).  In the end your personal style and character is what others (especially clients) will see in you.  I know it sounds like a line out of a Disney movie, but, without charisma you ain't nothin!  Just be your self.  A model that has character can go much further than a person with good looks but no personality.  That’s why they call us “models” and not just “attractive people.”

Also, keep in mind that the fashion industry is a business, its nothing like that reality TV bull shit we are fed on a day to day basis.  *sigh* so young… so dumb.  J/K 

peace my young apprentice

Jan 13 07 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

rhadames wrote:
A model that has character can go much further than a person with good looks but no personality.  That’s why they call us “models” and not just “attractive people.”

Wait, what? Explain that one again.

Jan 13 07 08:38 pm Link

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

Searcher wrote:

Wait, what? Explain that one again.

A model that has character can go much further than a *model* with good looks but no *character*.  That’s why they call us “models” and not just “attractive people.”

Jan 13 07 08:58 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rhadames wrote:

Actually they do.  I am with Elite out of Atlanta. 

Something tells me you have this industry twisted.  Matt, forget about successful male or female models.  Just strive to make money and be creative with your work.  Remember that you are your own business.  If indeed you are a model then you are a work of art (in theory).  In the end your personal style and character is what others (especially clients) will see in you.  I know it sounds like a line out of a Disney movie, but, without charisma you ain't nothin!  Just be your self.  A model that has character can go much further than a person with good looks but no personality.  That’s why they call us “models” and not just “attractive people.”

Also, keep in mind that the fashion industry is a business, its nothing like that reality TV bull shit we are fed on a day to day basis.  *sigh* so young… so dumb.  J/K 

peace my young apprentice

if you're signed with Elite,
can you not give me an accurate rundown
of how its been with them?

- how long you been there?
- quality of management?
- tight-knit feel, or lost-in-the-shuffle feel?
- international work or local?

etc..

you have a great look man,
you need to change your avatar
to something more representative of your talent wink

Matt

Jan 13 07 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

rhadames wrote:

A model that has character can go much further than a *model* with good looks but no *character*.  That’s why they call us “models” and not just “attractive people.”

No, I meant the second part. The first part makes sense but the second part comes out of nowhere, unless you're joking.

Jan 13 07 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Matt_582 wrote:
- quality of management?
- tight-knit feel, or lost-in-the-shuffle feel?
- international work or local?

That's going to depend on the local office. Their Atlanta and Toronto (?) offices are differrent worlds.

Jan 13 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Elite offices are each different from one another (as are other offices of other agencies..) what Rhadames is saying, is...a model that shows up on time, is well rested, speaks well, and ADDS to the shoot with creativity and enthusiasm is going to do MUCH better for clients and book more jobs than a "prettier" model who is late, hung over, and has an attitude. The outgoing model at a go see will often book the job because of their personality and photographs as much on their physical traits...We've all seen models in magazines that we think aren't really all that attractive-different art directors find different ideas interesting from assignment to assignment.
  As for the caliber of men @ Elite....well, it took me about 15 seconds to find the page...http://www.elitemodel.com/tres1.cfm?agency_id=314&division_id=188   (These are the Toronto men)You really should try a little harder and not expect the world to be handed to you.  Greg

Jan 13 07 09:38 pm Link

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

Searcher wrote:

No, I meant the second part. The first part makes sense but the second part comes out of nowhere, unless you're joking.

Yeah.. i was being scarcastic.  Over all its important to be a model citizen and know that at all times we (as professional models) represent the companies that we work for.  This idea is what separates the professional models from the ones that do it as a hobby.  Remeber the scandal with Kate Moss? 

regards

Jan 13 07 09:47 pm Link

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

GregBrown wrote:
Elite offices are each different from one another (as are other offices of other agencies..) what Rhadames is saying, is...a model that shows up on time, is well rested, speaks well, and ADDS to the shoot with creativity and enthusiasm is going to do MUCH better for clients and book more jobs than a "prettier" model who is late, hung over, and has an attitude. The outgoing model at a go see will often book the job because of their personality and photographs as much on their physical traits...We've all seen models in magazines that we think aren't really all that attractive-different art directors find different ideas interesting from assignment to assignment.
  As for the caliber of men @ Elite....well, it took me about 15 seconds to find the page...http://www.elitemodel.com/tres1.cfm?agency_id=314&division_id=188   (These are the Toronto men)You really should try a little harder and not expect the world to be handed to you.  Greg

right on mr brown

Jan 13 07 09:49 pm Link

Model

Jami Lea

Los Angeles, California, US

Jon Roberts wrote:

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

I agree with this.

Jan 13 07 09:49 pm Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GregBrown wrote:

don't be an asshole, I wasn't asking what their roster website was,
I was asking if anybody knew any big names to come out of that particular
agency, pfft

Matt

Jan 13 07 09:50 pm Link

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

Searcher wrote:

That's going to depend on the local office. Their Atlanta and Toronto (?) offices are differrent worlds.

Searcher is right.  Every office is different. 

I have not been with Elite in ATL for too long.  I recently signed with them and since i leave the country next week, i will not be working with them for months.  If i were you i would not get my hopes up.  Look for rejection.  I love it because it builds stamina, character and it humbles you.  If or when you get rejected simply take it and run.  Smile and use that for your next rejection.  Eventually you will either get the booking, or give up.  Now go play Mr. Matt.  We all wish you the best.

By the way, the work on MM is not all my professional wk. Most of it is stuff i have done one the side.  I love this site.  It affords me the oppurtunity to be creative.
thanks for your constructive CRIT MAtt.

Jan 13 07 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

If they come close to taking you, someone else probably will too, so don't put all your hope in just the one shop, and if you get rejected, don't take it as something being wrong with you. They may have been looking at a similar model and just flipped a coin.

Jan 14 07 01:16 am Link

Model

Matt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

thank you for all your advice guys,
but I do have a few other offers from good agencies,
so I'm not really concerned about wheither or not Elite
is calling me in for an offer or not smile

Matt

Jan 14 07 08:41 am Link