Forums > General Industry > Is this a triple fatality electrocution?

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I ran across this image today. When I first saw it, I was amazed. It's the people from Mad TV. What's wrong with this picture?  https://img5.modelmayhem.com/070113/03/45a893d955fda.jpg
There's two light stands and 7 people out of the water...3 standing, and one guy walking. One light stand is on wheels. There's power cords on the floor. Nobody is holding onto either light stand (no that guy on the left isn't either...not really). If the guy walking, who's one foot is on the cord, trips on the same cord with his other foot, and he stumbles, is it possible that three people are killed? Electrocuted? Dead? Fried? Well, as we say here in Minnesota, Yah, sure, you betcha! I'll just about guarantee that if this guy's insurance company saw this, they'd be having some interesting phone conversatiions.  There's way too many people on set, free to move about and trip over cords, and the two people nearest the light stands aren't even taking the pre-caution to hold on to the silly light stands, while people are walking over power cords. Get me outta that pool!  I'd rather have a toaster in the bathtub, at least then my fate would at least be in my hands. 

I've hoisted people by one arm, put 'em in sex swings, suspended 'em from ceilings, tied 'em up, chained 'em up, wrapped 'em in plastic tape, hog-tied 'em, blindfolded 'em, handcuffed 'em, painted 'em every color in the rainbow, and gagged 'em. I've had 'em climb trees, put a fish hook in a very private place, lie in the snow, ice fish in lingerie, deer hunt with only a gun and boots, and go places rabbits wouldn't go, with and without clothing, but never, ever did anyone ever get hurt, get pneumonia, or even catch a cold. And I never-ever  saw anything this scary.

Correct me if I'm wrong....am I wrong on this one?

Jan 13 07 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Mikes Images - Mike #4 wrote:

Nope.  Seriously stupid & careless.  It looks like they dodged a bullet on this one. or you would be posting a link to the news story about the tragedy.

Jan 13 07 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

this is SOOOOOO unsafe

Jan 13 07 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

Bayshore Gardens, Florida, US

I ran across this image today. When I first saw it, I was amazed. It's the people from Mad TV. What's wrong with this picture?  https://img5.modelmayhem.com/070113/03/45a893d955fda.jpg
There's two light stands and 7 people out of the water...3 standing, and one guy walking. One light stand is on wheels. There's power cords on the floor. Nobody is holding onto either light stand (no that guy on the left isn't either...not really). If the guy walking, who's one foot is on the cord, trips on the same cord with his other foot, and he stumbles, is it possible that three people are killed? Electrocuted? Dead? Fried? Well, as we say here in Minnesota, Yah, sure, you betcha! I'll just about guarantee that if this guy's insurance company saw this, they'd be having some interesting phone conversatiions.  There's way too many people on set, free to move about and trip over cords, and the two people nearest the light stands aren't even taking the pre-caution to hold on to the silly light stands, while people are walking over power cords. Get me outta that pool!  I'd rather have a toaster in the bathtub, at least then my fate would at least be in my hands. 

I've hoisted people by one arm, put 'em in sex swings, suspended 'em from ceilings, tied 'em up, chained 'em up, wrapped 'em in plastic tape, hog-tied 'em, blindfolded 'em, handcuffed 'em, painted 'em every color in the rainbow, and gagged 'em. I've had 'em climb trees, put a fish hook in a very private place, lie in the snow, ice fish in lingerie, deer hunt with only a gun and boots, and go places rabbits wouldn't go, with and without clothing, but never, ever did anyone ever get hurt, get pneumonia, or even catch a cold. And I never-ever  saw anything this scary.

Jan 13 07 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

There was a fire marshal and police officer on the set. It was MAD TV crew who by the way are all union workers. The crew did have a person on every light and it will air tonight.

The light would not shock you if they hit the pool because they are made to go dead if they drop into the pool.. Just like the light in the pool, fool....

The shoot was covered under the insurance  policy that covers any Quincy, Jones/Davis Salzman Entertainment production.Anyway there is a reason why you are there and I am here..

Ta ta

Michael Alan

Jan 13 07 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Michael Alan wrote:
There was a fire marshal and police officer on the set. It was MAD TV crew who by the way are all union workers. The crew did have a person on every light and it will air tonight.

The light would not shock you if they hit the pool because they are made to go dead if they drop into the pool.. Just like the light in the pool, fool....

The shoot was covered under the insurance  policy that covers any Quincy, Jones/Davis Salzman Entertainment production.Anyway there is a reason why you are there and I am here..

Ta ta

Michael Alan

GFCI breakers?

Jan 13 07 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

Michael Alan wrote:

Ta ta

Michael Alan

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything.......but I would report the fire marshal...electrical devices designed to protect you fail.  GFI circuitry is not a guarantee....if I'm wrong, appologize in advance.

Jan 13 07 09:59 pm Link

Model

MM Jen

BRONX, New York, US

Michael Alan wrote:

Ta ta

Michael Alan

pwned.

That was so well done, lol

Jan 13 07 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

MM Jen wrote:

pwned.

That was so well done, lol

https://img5.modelmayhem.com/070113/22/45a99d2728a02.jpg

here is another shot showing the crew at work...

Enjoy...

by the way, the Asians in this skit are all big soap stars on the Korean networks..

Another skit for Jay leno is in the works...

Michael Alan

Jan 13 07 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

Also the lights that you see in the first picture are too far away to FALL into the pool. They would hit the cement floor, not the pool and those things you see on the legs of the C stands are SAND BAGS...

LOL....

I have been working in this business for a very long time and yes at one time I would have question the safety of the shoot too.. It was my studio that they shot in and INSURANCE was the first thing that I asked from them...

Anyway... it was fun... to ... watch REAL PROS work..

Michael Alan

Michael Alan

Jan 13 07 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

you da' man..................but it would still make me nervous.  Sounds like fun just the same!

Jan 13 07 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

DWolfe Photo

Germantown, Maryland, US

I want a swimming pool in my studio.  ((tears of jealousy ))  LOL

Jan 13 07 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

CaneegaPhotography wrote:
you da' man..................but it would still make me nervous.  Sounds like fun just the same!

It is always great to work with the different crews. They shot the whole skit in 3 hours. It was all storyboard down to who had what in the shoot and the reactions that was expected to be captured.

The difference between a real shoot and a thrown together shoot is huge..

Being organized is priceless..

Michael

Jan 13 07 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

I for one am impressed with all the wondrousness. I bet you captured these images with an older style ‘professional’ camera. Me I could never get something like this to happen, live in an old building, so old that well, were my bed is Teddy Roosevelt slept about there, as he was forming the Rough Riders just across the street. Man they did not even have the old Leica that I would have used IN the pool to get a great image at water level. But I am sure the ground fault they brought to the set or the one in your pool would have convinced the ‘professional’ camera you had doing these snaps with, would never have shorted that built in flash if it had hit the water. After all we are looking through the window of your opportunity. No don’t tell us, I apologize, stupid us, you weren’t THAT close to the pool and besides we can’t see the sand bag tied around your legs…by the way, you will find that safety is in the mind of the user and your words sound like the classic ‘accident looking to happen’.

Jan 14 07 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

I guess you must never work outside your elements.

I work all the time on movie sets and I have many pictures of many stars that I don't share on these type of forums.

I also have worked with some of the nations top photographers over the years.

Safety is always important on any shoot that I am involved with. Your  comments tells me that you are jealous of people like me.

Maybe you are to difficult to work with and the reason why I land jobs like these is because I do my job, trust the people above me and do what I am paid to do.

Also since this pool is part of my studio I do test the equipment that is being used to make sure that it is working proper  and I also make sure that firms like that which shoot the MAD TV skit are insured to cover any problems.

As I stated earlier, the crew was all union and the shoot went well and Bobby Lee was great.

Last year we had a crew of frogmen in the pool and NO I DID NOT TEST their gear to see if they all worked.. I rent the pool out a bunch and have never had any problems..

Does that mean that something cannot go wrong, NO but I cannot go around all my live worried about it..

Ta ta

Michael TD Alan

Jan 16 07 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Xandria Gallery

Arlington, Texas, US

I didn't see anything wrong with the original picture.  Everything looked as secure as you can make it on a shoot.  If the guy trips on the cord he will pull the lights AWAY from the pool, but they are sandbagged so chances of anything other than him hitting his head on the ground are pretty slim... looks like, to me.

Jan 16 07 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Not if GFCI's are used for the equipment.

Jan 16 07 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alan

Habenero Photography wrote:

Not if GFCI's are used for the equipment.

That should end this thread....

Jan 17 07 01:02 pm Link