Forums > General Industry > Lasik / Laser Eye Surgery. NOT FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS?

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
I did it in 1999 at a place called LASIK Plus. No problems, other than my eyes are drier than they used to be. I went from 800/20 and 900/20 (maybe that's reversed, but I was blind) to 20/20 and 15/20. I had a month of really bad night vision and halos. Then it went away.

I had mine done at LASIK PLUS in Atlanta Dr. Eugene Smith and staff was great.I only had a couple weeks of halos

Jan 12 07 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Lee Dowse wrote:
Whoah!!!!  Where did you get your information from????  Yes you may still need glasses for reading over the age of 40 (there are options to avoid this), but I'm afraid you are seriously misinformed.  Our retinal surgeon HAD IT DONE... there goes that theory.

Keratoconus is an ABSOLUTE CONTRAINDICATION for LASIK.  I'm also a clinical photographer for our office, and I have zero photographs of bad surgeries.  It's not about the money, I promise you...

You are either poorly informed or you have a really bad LASIK practice near you.

See the lady who is your counterpart at hte clinic near me told me that its not uncommon for loss of contrast.  She was the one who suggested that I don't proceed with the treatment because of how dependant I am of my vision.

Jan 12 07 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:
There are horror stories out there if you look hard enough (as pointed out earlier).

Of course.. but you dont have to look hard.. there are quite a few websites dedicated to deter people fro mthe procedure.. (just as there are of the opposite) but I am smart enough to know that complainers make the most noise. 

I want real information.. from the individuals.  I will trust that you're own procedure was sucessfull.  however, I can not accept the statistics that you are giving me at face value, because stats are so easliy thrown around.  I prefer to hear from the people themselves.  Its not that I do or don't trust you, this is more like a controlled questionaire where there are no biases.

Jan 12 07 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Leighi123 wrote:
im getting it in a few weeks - YAY -  ive had glasses/contacts sence 6th grade and they have been such a pain  -  the best part is my parents are paying for it -  happy 21st bday to me....  smile

That's wonderful!  Come back to this thread and tell us how you feel about it after.  Hope it goes quite well for you!

Jan 12 07 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Florence, South Carolina, US

Mercy Studio wrote:
See the lady who is your counterpart at hte clinic near me told me that its not uncommon for loss of contrast.  She was the one who suggested that I don't proceed with the treatment because of how dependant I am of my vision.

LOL... there is always the "realistic expectations" clause.  We use this to discourage patients who have expectations that are too high or are too demanding.  No one wants to operate on anyone who says "I want to you to guarantee me results".

I can't say it's not a possiblity... it is... so is the possibility that you could develop an infection and lose your eye.

It's also a possibility that you could develop an infection and die from an adverse reaction to anesthesia during your enucleation (removal of eye).

You could also get hit by an airplane while driving down the road.

Point is... nothing in life is guaranteed.  LASIK is surgery... there are known "potential side effects and/or complications".  I guess the question you have to ask yourself is... how much risk am I willing to take... If it's not worth it to you, don't have it done.

Jan 12 07 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

I had lasik done 4 years ago.  I went from 20/950 and bad astigmatism, to 20/10 and hardly any astigmatism.  Had halos for 3 days.  No problem with double vision, colors, contrast or brightness.  For best results, do your follow up care.  Keep your eyes wet using artificial tears for at least a month after the procedure to promote healing.  Mine was done at the Nationwide Vision on 21st St. and Camelback in Phoenix.

Jan 12 07 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Habenero Photography wrote:
I had lasik done 4 years ago.  I went from 20/950 and bad astigmatism, to 20/10 and hardly any astigmatism.  Had halos for 3 days.  No problem with double vision, colors, contrast or brightness.  For best results, do your follow up care.  Keep your eyes wet using artificial tears for at least a month after the procedure to promote healing.  Mine was done at the Nationwide Vision on 21st St. and Camelback in Phoenix.

That's pretty typical.

Jan 12 07 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Mercy Studio wrote:

Of course.. but you dont have to look hard.. there are quite a few websites dedicated to deter people fro mthe procedure.. (just as there are of the opposite) but I am smart enough to know that complainers make the most noise. 

I want real information.. from the individuals.  I will trust that you're own procedure was sucessfull.  however, I can not accept the statistics that you are giving me at face value, because stats are so easliy thrown around.  I prefer to hear from the people themselves.  Its not that I do or don't trust you, this is more like a controlled questionaire where there are no biases.

Fair enough!  If you do decide to have it done, let me know and I can give you some inside scoops and possibly even check the circles for information on your sugeon.  Good/bad/indifferent.

Jan 12 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:
If you have specific questions or concerns... message me.  I'll give you whatever advice I can.  I have nothing to gain or lose if you do or don't have surgery.... Makes no difference to me.

I apprecaite your expertise in this matter and I will take you up on that.  However I'll post my concerns here publicy so that everyone can benifit from the conversations and your experience, or perhaps ask further questions that I may have missed, or even counterpoint it if necassary.  I find that PM's greatly narrow ones range of input.

Not to worry, I am intelligent enough to sort through what I need to know and weigh important details and true facts objectively.

Jan 12 07 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:

Fair enough!  If you do decide to have it done, let me know and I can give you some inside scoops and possibly even check the circles for information on your sugeon.  Good/bad/indifferent.

Here is the place that I was looking at:  http://www.clearvue.ca/
I would appreciate any information you can find for me.  If you feel uncomfortable posting anything about this clinic publically because of your job, feel free to PM me.

Jan 12 07 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

You honestly should be more afraid of potential intraoperative flap complications.  Those can be the most vision threatening and in some cases can cause permanent damage to your vision and loss of BCVA (best corrected visual acuity).  I would ask specifically how many flap complications your surgeon has had.  We've had 2 in nearly 10 years.  I would also ask how he would treat a flap complication... if he isn't real sure.... walk!!!

You also may want to consider checking into "Advanced Surface Ablation" or CustomVue PRK.  It's safer than LASIK and in some studies is getting better results.  Depending on who you talk to, some surgeons actually prefer PRK.  The recovery period is longer and it's more uncomfortable post-op recover, but it's a very good procedure to have done.

Jan 12 07 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:
Point is... nothing in life is guaranteed.  LASIK is surgery... there are known "potential side effects and/or complications".  I guess the question you have to ask yourself is... how much risk am I willing to take... If it's not worth it to you, don't have it done.

Very true.. you can also be hit by lightning in a thunderstorm.. but is unlikely.. What I want to know is will Lasik be putting a lighting rod in my hand in said thunderstorm..  thats why I'm asking here for as many opionions as possble.

Believe me, I love taking risks.. surfing, handgliding, bungee jumping, cliff diving, skydiving - I like watching all of those things on tv smile

Jan 12 07 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:
You honestly should be more afraid of potential intraoperative flap complications.  Those can be the most vision threatening and in some cases can cause permanent damage to your vision and loss of BCVA (best corrected visual acuity).  I would ask specifically how many flap complications your surgeon has had.  We've had 2 in nearly 10 years.  I would also ask how he would treat a flap complication... if he isn't real sure.... walk!!!

You also may want to consider checking into "Advanced Surface Ablation" or CustomVue PRK.  It's safer than LASIK and in some studies is getting better results.  Depending on who you talk to, some surgeons actually prefer PRK.  The recovery period is longer and it's more uncomfortable post-op recover, but it's a very good procedure to have done.

SEE THIS is exactly the kind of information I want to know..  and the right questions to ask the right people..

Jan 12 07 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Mercy Studio wrote:

Here is the place that I was looking at:  http://www.clearvue.ca/
I would appreciate any information you can find for me.  If you feel uncomfortable posting anything about this clinic publically because of your job, feel free to PM me.

Well... questions I would ask.

Who does the follow-up?  They have an optometrist on staff.  If the optometrist does the pre and post care, I would be hesitant to go there.  An optometrist is not a medical doctor.  They can not do surgical procedures and do not have the same training and experience as an ophthalmologist... In short, they are more likely to miss some of the subtle things that can present during the post-up course.

Ask them if they've ever had any occurrences of DLK... diffuse lamellar keratitis.  It's a mild post-operative infection that can quickly turn bad.  DLK is an indication that things are necessarily as clean as they should be in the OR.  We've never had any cases of DLK (knock on wood) to give you a reference point.

They use a Hansatome microkeratome which is good.  That's the same one we use.  Another good microkeratome is the Amadeus.

The "EC-5000" laser they are using is a Nidek laser.  It's less common than the Visx S4 and has historically been about 1/2 step behind Visx technology.  We started with the Nidek EC-5000 years ago but moved away from it in favor of the Visx which had more flexibility (at the time).  We worked closely with Keith Thompson, George Waring, Doyle Stulting, and other guys at Emory during that time period while they were working on the technology that would eventually become custom LASIK.

I honestly can't speak about the Nidek technology today, but one reason we moved away from it is because Visx had wider treatment parameters and better results at the time.

Jan 12 07 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Lee Dowse wrote:

Well... questions I would ask.

Who does the follow-up?  They have an optometrist on staff.  If the optometrist does the pre and post care, I would be hesitant to go there.  An optometrist is not a medical doctor.  They can not do surgical procedures and do not have the same training and experience as an ophthalmologist... In short, they are more likely to miss some of the subtle things that can present during the post-up course.

Ask them if they've ever had any occurrences of DLK... diffuse lamellar keratitis.  It's a mild post-operative infection that can quickly turn bad.  DLK is an indication that things are necessarily as clean as they should be in the OR.  We've never had any cases of DLK (knock on wood) to give you a reference point.

They use a Hansatome microkeratome which is good.  That's the same one we use.  Another good microkeratome is the Amadeus.

The "EC-5000" laser they are using is a Nidek laser.  It's less common than the Visx S4 and has historically been about 1/2 step behind Visx technology.  We started with the Nidek EC-5000 years ago but moved away from it in favor of the Visx which had more flexibility (at the time).  We worked closely with Keith Thompson, George Waring, Doyle Stulting, and other guys at Emory during that time period while they were working on the technology that would eventually become custom LASIK.

I honestly can't speak about the Nidek technology today, but one reason we moved away from it is because Visx had wider treatment parameters and better results at the time.

Very good, I will call them on monday with those questions and more..
In the mean time I am kicking off for now, but I will be back often to check this threat all weekend and later tonight

thank you

Jan 12 07 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

As a Canadian resident, you will have options available to you that aren't available in the States (no FDA regs).  Some guys up there are doing multi-focal ablations and other really exciting things.  Most of that stuff is pretty cutting edge and in some cases, experimental.  In many ways, Canada is actually ahead of the US as far as treatment options... It does complicate things a little though... How much of what your surgeon is doing is "experimental" and how much is proven technology.

Jan 12 07 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Mike Colwell Photograph wrote:
I had it done about six months ago. It is the best money I have ever spent. I do still have to wear my cheaters to read very small print.

Ditto... . I had it done when it was first approved by the FDA. Had it done in 1997.
Yes, there are some side effects(mine is ghosting) but it was worth it to me because my prescription was close to -9 (ie thick glasses)
The technogloy has improved over the years.  The op has to get a consult FIRST to determine IF he is a candidate. Always look for the best surgeon and NOT by the best price alone !

Jan 12 07 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Best money I've ever spent, my vision is wonderful. I had it done last year at age 50.
I have no halo's, good night vison, no contrast problems and I was really, really nearsighted.

Jan 12 07 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I had the surgery done in 2000 while traveling in South Africa (the doctor who invented the Lasik procedure was South African.)  They did both eyes at the same time, a no-no here in the states at the time, and even though it was a quarter of the cost of what American doctors charged, I've not experienced any of the side affects that you have listed and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Marc Grant

Jan 12 07 10:09 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Your sight is not something you want to go bargain basment price hunting with.

I paid close to $4k for my Lasik last year and went from 20/400 to 20/15.  Both of my eyes were done at the same time.  19 seconds under the laser for my right, and 21 for my left.  My night vision isn't any noticably worse than it had been previously.

Custom wavefront analysis is supposed to be potentially able to correct for things like halos, etc.  You don't get CWA with most so-called "affordable" Lasik.

I also got Interlase (no knife ever touched my eye) and the surgeon I had has performed over 8500 procedures (since 1989).  You want someone with a LOT of experience so if something weird happens during the procedure, s/he has probably seen it hundreds of times already and knows exactly how to respond, quickly.  (Good equipment, too, of course.)

My fiance was legally blind in one eye, horribly nearsighted in both, and he is also 20/15 these days.  I can't wait to go snorkeling next month and actually be able to _see_ under water.

For people in the Seattle area, I highly recommend: http://www.bellevue-lasik.com

(In conjunction with a FSA.  Most of my Lasik cost was income tax free!)

Jan 14 07 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mercy Studio wrote:
In the end I found there were too many risks of negative after effects which ultimately led to my not getting the surgery.

Whenever I am tempted to explore it, the scene from the Simpsons where Ned Flanders had it done comes to mind, and I decide I'm not interested.

For those of you not familiar with the scene, the episode takes place in the future: Flanders comes to the door after someone knocks and his eyes are burned-out pits. He comments, "I only wish I hadn't got that gosh darned laser eye surgery done. It works out great for ten years and then your eyeballs fall out."

M

Jan 14 07 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Le Beck Photography wrote:
The only people who should contemplate this are the extremely near sighted, those with keratoconus (a pyramid shaped cornea) or those with astigmatism so severe it cannot be corrected easily or at all.

I thought it was contraindicated for keratoconus patients. I've had one corneal transplant so far (my non-dominant eye), and my dominant eye is still getting worse--but since I can see via my other one, I'm not high on the list for another one.

Has there been a change in recommendations?

Jan 14 07 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

I just turned 40 and had it done last year. I almost backed out at the last minute. I'm VERY happy with the results. I dont experience any problems with night driving, halos, etc. I went from 20/200 to 20/15.

But then:

-I've been wearing glasses or contacts for most of my life. I was extremely nearsighted.

-I had Custom Lasik tailored towards my eyes. I spent 4-5 hours before the surgery getting measurements taken.

-I would stay away from any of the discount joints. Discount Lasik is like Discount Sushi, you just don't do it.

-I do get the occasional dry eye, but nothing compared to the contact hassles (like falling asleep with the contacts still in....yeeks)

Anyone needs to do their research with this procedure. The place I went to was very helpful, respected and provided alot of information. All in all, I made the right choice, at the right time. The technology is alot more sophisticated that than just a few years ago.

But (like I say alot on MM) your mileage may vary.....

Jan 15 07 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

I had Lasik probably going on 8 or 9 years ago. I went from a negative 4 with astigmatisms in each eye (not blind but not great) to 20/15 in each eye after the surgery. Fantastic and an astounding WOW!

Now I have regressed some (I am 34) and my eyes are like 20/40. Not bad but bad enough to need correction for nighttime driving and some T.V., etc. I could get the surgery done again but I am still tossing the idea around. I currently wear contact lens's full time again. 1.5 left eye and 1.0 right. Not a strong prescription but one that I think for me is necessary even in the daytime which I really don't need I guess however once you get used to seeing really sharp..... why do without?

So the "halo" effect around lights at night time. Normal. For maybe a week or two. Nothing to worry about there. I know they say that some people never have that go away but I'm sure it's slim to none. That would suck big time though.

The "farsightedness" that is supposed to follow..... I can still see printing on a grain of rice without any correction so maybe it just hasn't hit me yet... but when I'm 50 and it finally DOES hit me... who cares about wearing reading glasses right?

In other words.... I recommend it. They've gotten it down to a science now and I am thinking about going in again because I really liked seeing 20/15 unaided. It was amazing. And it only burns like hell for the first night.

They will ask you what occupation you have when you are thinking about getting the surgery as they will tell you that if you are a nut sorter than you shouldn't get it but if you are a pro ball player.... yes definitely get it, etc. I think for a photographer since looking through a lens corrects vision anyway they might be inclined to say nay as far as neccessity goes but I say go for it.

Jan 15 07 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

In the end, around 45ish you will still need reading glasses, even with LASIX.

For more information and some examples of some possible complications, this is a pretty good link (however it's from a group that 'sells' the procedure, so read with caution).

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsur … tion_1.htm

PS The night vision problems kind of remind me in a way of PhotoShop wink

Jan 15 07 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Modern Amazon Project

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bill Gates is the Worlds richest man and can have what he wants, he wears glasses, doesn't that say something for these bargain offers for Lasik, steer clear it wrecks your eyes and when its done it is too late

Jan 15 07 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

I thought it was contraindicated for keratoconus patients. I've had one corneal transplant so far (my non-dominant eye), and my dominant eye is still getting worse--but since I can see via my other one, I'm not high on the list for another one.

Has there been a change in recommendations?

It's still contraindicated.

Jan 15 07 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Modern Amazon wrote:
Bill Gates is the Worlds richest man and can have what he wants, he wears glasses, doesn't that say something for these bargain offers for Lasik, steer clear it wrecks your eyes and when its done it is too late

It's also quite telling when you look at how few opthomologists who do the procedure will not have it done on themselves.  Tim

Jan 15 07 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

On January 20th I'll be celebrating my first year with perfect 20/20 vision!!! Lasik was the best decision I ever made for myself!
Oh... just to let you know... my eyesight was off the chart before... they had to use fingers to chart how bad my eyes were!
Am I happy? Hell yes!!!

Rich  smile

Jan 15 07 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Timothy C

Columbus, Ohio, US

Personally, I've wanted it, but have always stayed away because of all the night vision problems.   I like working at night, therefore, if night vision is decreased, I wouldn't be able to work very well.   On top of that, I made that decision before going into photography.

I'm currently in a studio lighting class with a girl that has had Lasik.  The result:  She can barely see anything when trying to work with the lighting.   Hurts her eyes more than anybody else in the class.

Jan 15 07 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I have been thinking about this.. for a couple of years.. Now I feel more confident.. specially since I do have bascom palmer ( which has been at the top of eye care for years ) in my town!

Jan 15 07 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

double post!

Jan 15 07 03:31 pm Link

Model

Napally

Leeds, Alabama, US

I'd love to have laser eye surgery done. I've worn glasses since I was 7 and although I wear contact's as well, I want to be free of them!

I'm not quite sure why people are so opposed to it though. As someone has stated previously, all surgery has a certain risk factor. I'm making sure I go to a reputable surgeon and that I'm mature enough to make such a big decision smile

Jan 15 07 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

HAD IT.

I was having crippling headaches though, because of my weirdeye sight/weak eye muscles (which they cant fix).

Hasnt affected me negatively yet, even short term.

Jan 15 07 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My father-in-law disliked wearing glasses and never transitioned to bifocals well. He had Lasik done to both eyes. He got a bad infection in one and his sight is now much worse than ever before. The other eye did not get infected, but that eye has blurry vision. They "solved" the problem by having him wear ...guess what...glasses!  The glasses he now wears are much stringer than what he wore 8 months ago when he had his surgery. He went 7 months without being able to see well enough to drive. About a month ago, he was able to start driving again, but he hates night driving now.  He would never recommend anyone do this and curses himself for what he believes is his own stupidity for having it done.

Jan 15 07 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I had it done 2 years ago and it was the absolute BEST thing I have ever done in my life!  My vision is perfect!  I had my eyes done so that one sees nearsighted and one sees farsighted.  I can't say enough positive things about it!  wink

Jan 15 07 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Mercy Studio wrote:
I hope this works:

Lasik Zone test

Dont cheat!  It's not a contest.
Anyone who has had lasik (or not had it for that matter), can you honestly find the blackest square?  And to be fair, I can't tell the diff between a few (might be my monitor).

Post the number and if you have or haven't had it

5 looked the blackest to me (on a laptop) but 4 and 5 were very close. I've thought about the procedure also because I am 20/15 in my right eye but 20/800 or higher in my left eye due to an astigmitism.

I've heard mention of insurance. Does health/vision insurance cover LASIK?

Edit: Do people have the procedure done in one eye only? Or is that a very stupid and obvious answer?

Jan 15 07 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

closed account not acti

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Just to add to all the possitive feedback on eye surgery. I had PRK done about four five months ago, like many people have said, best think I've ever done. I get a little dryness but no problem w/ contrast, bluriness at all. And my eyes have only been getting better since I got it. I was legally blind x 4. Now i'm at about a 15/20, a few points from near perfect vision.

Hope this helps. I did get it done by U.S. Navy Doctors though.

Jan 15 07 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

closed account not acti

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Oh by the way, from what I've heard PRK is ten times better the Lasik, your eyes have less side effects.

Jan 15 07 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rodney San

San Francisco, California, US

Had it done a year ago. Wonderful experience. Was 20/350 with astigmatism. Now 20/25 with just a hint. No noted loss of contrast, color, or anything.

A tip is before you have anything done, really pay attention to what you see at night, in the rain, when you're tired, reading small print. Write down your observations. Then compare notes after your procedure.

A lot of people who are complaining about halos, etc don't realize that they might have been seeing them all along. But since it's what it is for their entire lives up until the procedure, they've gone through an accomodation syndrome thing.

Good luck!

Jan 16 07 02:46 am Link