Forums > General Industry > Question for my Fellow Photographers !!!

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Not sure if this has been asked but I didn't look  either honestly.

I want to know, when you have a 3rd party clientele who brings you alot of business through thier company and shooting for them and so forth:

Do you find yourself throwing in more then you would in thier sessions? Like maybe a few extra pictures or money off thier session or anything else you would not do for non-repeat customers?

or...

Are you the type to give them what thier package or session only consisted of, and nothing more everytime they shoot with you???

I must admit I'm the type to throw a few additional things in because I like that they bring me business.

What about you????

Jan 12 07 10:07 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i always take care of the folks that take care of me....
i have shot kids, pets, weddings...not stuff i would normally do..
its good business

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 12 07 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

That is just good business no matter what you are doing.

Jan 12 07 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Chipshotz

Tampa, Florida, US

Grease the wheel that helps keep the machine running.. a few extra shots... gift cards at appropriate times... a fat "thank You" often... I even offer a $25 referral bonus to some individual well connected clients (personal trainers, bar tenders, etc)  if they refer someone who shoots with me. It's good customer service

Jan 12 07 10:18 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I think most people do more for clients that they have an established business relationship with.

It helps maintain a healthy and continued money stream when you deliver more than what is expected.

Jan 12 07 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Ken Williams Photo

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Far West Imaging wrote:

Ditto that!

Jan 12 07 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

one hand always washes the other.  besides, if you dont take care of them the way they want, theyll find someone who will.

Jan 12 07 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

I always try to give a bit extra.

Jan 12 07 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Stroke Of Light

Spokane, Washington, US

extra pics.. a little off  and some times $ for referal   if they see your gonna take care of them they will tell everyone they know!

Jan 12 07 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

dncphotos wrote:
Not sure if this has been asked but I didn't look  either honestly.

I want to know, when you have a 3rd party clientele who brings you alot of business through thier company and shooting for them and so forth:

Do you find yourself throwing in more then you would in thier sessions? Like maybe a few extra pictures or money off thier session or anything else you would not do for non-repeat customers?

or...

Are you the type to give them what thier package or session only consisted of, and nothing more everytime they shoot with you???

I must admit I'm the type to throw a few additional things in because I like that they bring me business.

What about you????

Not really a question of photographers - more of a question of business practices.

It's usually very wise to take care of those who have taken care of you.

Jan 13 07 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Far West Imaging wrote:

agreed

Jan 13 07 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

I always throw in extra. My shooting style is the same.

Jan 13 07 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Cesar Cuevas

Los Angeles, California, US

Never underestimate the importance of a friend or client that that brings in business for you of their own free will. That person is doing for free what you might have to pay another person to do (like an agent or rep) to get the same result... Doing "favor shoots" for them is a small pay-off for the revenue they can bring in... and remember that people that you shoot/meet through them might extend your into areas where you weren't going to go on your own two feet.

Once, a girl that was "hanging out" on my shoot liked my stuff & style and networked me a gig shooting advertising for car aftermarket products, no need for a portfolio. Then she schmoozed the magazine the ads were in to take me on editorially, and from a simple "hang-out", I've made lots of money in a genre that I personally did not "see" myself in.

Jan 13 07 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Always exceed expectations and they will come back for more

Jan 13 07 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Going above and beyond for a good customer is good business, no matter whether your a photographer, model, waitress, travel agent, etc.   If they're going to throw a lot of work (and money) your way, then maybe throw in a few extra things.

I know lots of models I work with here (I'm the customer, since I'm doing paid shoots) will throw in some extras because we've worked a bunch and will work more in the future.  big_smile

Jan 13 07 09:30 am Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Instead of cash for referrals, will often provide a gift certificate for dinner for two at a good local restaurant.  The restaurant likes the publicity too and often gives me a discount on a number of gift certs.  If a lot of money has resulted, will often include a bottle of really good liquor or some perfume or some little extravagance.  It is all tax deductible as advertising & public relations.

Jan 13 07 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I've been known to throw in a couple of extra prints for repeat clients. It's for good will.

Aditionally, when I see Adorama offering their 8x10 sales, I offer clients a chance to "add on" extra prints at a reduced price.

Jan 13 07 09:56 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

When I first started out in this business... I was a little naive until a seasoned pro told me how to handle this very topic... so from that point on I usually ask them if I can throw them an eight ball (I always keep a few in my desk)... if they say yes... I throw 'em one (as my mentor once told me "it's good business"). Maybe I throw them too hard... maybe they weren't expecting it, I don't know, but they usually miss it and end up with some mighty big bump on their forehead. I never understood why give parts of a pool game as gifts but HEY, I guess it's just the price you pay to be in this whacky business we call photography.

Jan 13 07 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

giovanni gruttola wrote:
When I first started out in this business... I was a little naive until a seasoned pro told me how to handle this very topic... so from that point on I usually ask them if I can throw them an eight ball (I always keep a few in my desk)... if they say yes... I throw 'em one (as my mentor once told me "it's good business"). Maybe I throw them too hard... maybe they weren't expecting it, I don't know, but they usually miss it and end up with some mighty big bump on their forehead. I never understood why give parts of a pool game as gifts but HEY, I guess it's just the price you pay to be in this whacky business we call photography.

That... that...

...that doesn't make a damn bit of sense! 

Yet, oddly, I understand it.  Fantastic.

Jan 13 07 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Dames

what comes around goes around!

Jan 13 07 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Far West Imaging wrote:

Exactly!

Jan 13 07 11:51 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Fresh baked cookies...

Jan 13 07 11:53 am Link