Forums > General Industry > Rejection sucks

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Turned down for a job from a potential client.  Forgot how much it sucks.  I mean, a no thank you right in the beginning is no big deal, but after having a few discussions with this client I thought I had a good shot.  I know I shouldn't take it personally, it's just business, but still a kick in the gut.

Jan 11 07 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Were they being unreasonable?

Jan 11 07 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Ched wrote:
Were they being unreasonable?

No, they just chose to go with another photographer.

Jan 11 07 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Sorry to hear about that.  There is always another one.

Jan 11 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Yeah, I hear you. It's part of the business, but it sucks.

Jan 11 07 10:55 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Agreed....

I hate having to say no thank you to a project that has been pitched to me and after several discussions about said project because we do not agree on my compensation...

But I can work 6 to 8 hours for another few prints, or I can work 6 to 8 hours re coding my website making it faster easer to use and more user friendly thus making more money in the future...

Or 6 to 8 hours of housework / dinner that keeps the other half very happy..

Or 6 to 8 hours on my marketing plan for a new photography shoot I am working on shooting next few months...

Jan 11 07 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Weird.

Jan 12 07 12:54 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

wait til you have a client that tells you that not only do they have another photog, but he's working for free..and why cant i find a way to make that part of my business model...

big fun..

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 12 07 12:56 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Gary Davis wrote:

Bastards.

Jan 12 07 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Doug Swinskey wrote:
wait til you have a client that tells you that not only do they have another photog, but he's working for free..and why cant i find a way to make that part of my business model...

big fun..

But I offered to work for free....

Just kidding smile

Ched wrote:

Weird.

I know huh.  I can't believe anyone would choose another photographer over me.  I AM THE GREATEST!

Ya, still kidding smile

Jan 12 07 01:37 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

That gives more motivation for improvement perhaps...

Jan 12 07 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Julia wrote:
That gives more motivation for improvement perhaps...

If I knew what to improve.  I don't know if they found someone better, cheaper or what...

Jan 12 07 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Hey, I just got a rejection from an art festival that I was *really* hoping to get juried-into. So tonight I feel your pain.

I'll tip my glass of port in the general direction of California in about 15 minutes.

Jan 12 07 01:41 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Gary Davis wrote:

If I knew what to improve.  I don't know if they found someone better, cheaper or what...

That's true... and it's not like you can ask them...

But sometimes coutner-offer works best.

Jan 12 07 01:42 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Hey, I just got a rejection from an art festival that I was *really* hoping to get juried-into. So tonight I feel your pain.

I'll tip my glass of port in the general direction of California in about 15 minutes.

I have a better idea...

How about you pack up your glass, head your self into the general direction of california, and I'll pick you up at the port of SF....

wink

Jan 12 07 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Fotogene

Chicago Heights, Illinois, US

The word "no" is never easy to accept. They say "no thank you" we hear "GET LOST YOU'RE NO GOOD, A LOSER, JUST SHOOT YOURSELF"!

They say, "we've made other plans," we hear "WE WOULDN'T USE YOU IF YOU WERE THE LAST ONE ON THE EARTH"!

They say "we'll think about it," we hear "WE THINK YOU AND YOUR WORK AND YOUR GOLD FISH SUCK"!

We say, "ok, just let me know," we mean "I HOPE YOU CONTRACT A STRAIN OF INCURRABLE UNIMAGINABLY ACUTE JOCK ITCH AND ARTHRITIS OF YOUR FINGERS"!

Jan 12 07 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

If it's the one I am thinking of, I just got rejected too. And what kills me is that I submitted art that had been stolen (the only stolen pieces) off the wall from an art show.

So, my art is good enough to steal, but doesn't pass the jury's muster. *Sob*

Jan 12 07 01:57 am Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

San Francisco, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

big fun..

That does not happen on big projects.  In fact, it does not happen if the client is a company.  Only for family type stuff...and rarely.

Jan 12 07 01:58 am Link