Model

Adieu

sometimes look like photographer ports.

I'm not hating on makeup artists, and I know that a professional pic is much better than a camera phone pic you take after you do someone's makeup.

Granted there are some amazing makeup artists on this site, and you can clearly tell when the model just had her makeup done by a bad ass MUA, but I've seen some pics in which the models hair is covering most of her face, and you can't even see the makeup! Same with black and white pictures.

Has anyone else noticed that?

Jan 11 07 04:16 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Yeppers... It's like... how are you showcasing your work with a shot that is far away or you can't even see the models face. If anything,  it's not good advertisement on their part. Just my two cents.

Jan 11 07 04:19 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Monica Jay wrote:
sometimes look like photographer ports.

I'm not hating on makeup artists, and I know that a professional pic is much better than a camera phone pic you take after you do someone's makeup.

Granted there are some amazing makeup artists on this site, and you can clearly tell when the model just had her makeup done by a bad ass MUA, but I've seen some pics in which the models hair is covering most of her face, and you can't even see the makeup! Same with black and white pictures.

Has anyone else noticed that?

It's true in alot of ports, but I do remember hearing MUA's recommending to other MUA's: Have the photographer take a good headshot of the model, something for the MUA's book.
I agree with that completely.

Jan 11 07 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

WHT PHX STUDIOS

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have noticed - I go through alot of MUA ports looking to collaborate with them but it is hard to determine their artistic talent because most pictures focus on the model, the fashion or the moment - not so much the make-up.  But this has alot to do with the photographer or the photoshoot itself, where oftentimes, the focus is not the MUA, but the model, or the photographer's vision.  Photographers get caught up in their vision and sometimes forget to capture the different elements that made such vision possible....  A photog has to go into the shoot thinking of all elements - photos for my port, my model's port, stylists and MUA's... an MUAs port should consist of not much more than headshots or ECs... at times, a half body or full body shot will bring the make-up into full circle - but for the most part, it is a showcase of their artistic make-up abilities... not the photographers.  I'd like to see ECs to see detail, headshots - pics of them at work - of their kits... the things that would assist me in making a better choice.  I myself have not had an opportunity to work with many MUAs, so I cannot assist them in building their portfolio - but I look forward to it!  I'm eager to collaborate with all industry professionals -

Jan 11 07 04:27 pm Link

Model

Wendy McCracken

Osgood, Indiana, US

Makeup artists usually try to restrain my hair in photos, because it is long. I like my makeup to be a little bit more on the untraditional side, so it usually doesn't get hidden in any particular way. I like it to fit my personality, which isn't very normal.
I know what you are saying though. I feel photographers should express to their models the intentions of the shots, so the model isn't dissatisfied when she gets a copy of the pictures, and she isn't clearly seen, or she isn't ment to be the focus of the attention.

Jan 11 07 04:28 pm Link

Model

Adieu

https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=234411

That MUA does a really good job of actually showing her work in her port. I want feather eyebrows! tongue

Jan 11 07 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

well many photographers don't really think of the makeup artist when they're shooting. what looks great in my portfolio is different than what the designer needs which is different than what the makeup artist needs.

Jan 11 07 06:01 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Couture Imagery wrote:
well many photographers don't really think of the makeup artist when they're shooting. what looks great in my portfolio is different than what the designer needs which is different than what the makeup artist needs.

Photographers...insensitive, selfish bastards! JK tongue

I love your work, by the way.

Jan 11 07 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Monica Jay wrote:

Photographers...insensitive, selfish bastards! JK tongue

I love your work, by the way.

thanks very much monica! smile

Jan 11 07 06:09 pm Link

Model

AngelaNicholeM

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sometimes its hard to get that beauty image...you could take a thousand pictures and there might not be a good EC or headshot that's useable. Believe me, as a model and as a MUA, its hard. I've worked with quite a few photographers that took hundreds of pictures, but none that i could use. There's beauty shots, but you still want them to look good, something that would be able to sell. A good photo is just as important as good makeup. I try to be picky with the photographers I work with now, because I want to know that I'm going to get a good image. Because if you get a crappy image, with stellar makeup, its still going to look like a crappy image.

Jan 11 07 08:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pink Beauty

Seattle, Washington, US

It's true that as a makeup artist I always ask for beauty images to be taken, however the photographer is not going to spend as much time on my needs as he is on his own needs so sometimes the best shots from an image happen to be 3/4 or full length. And we always want the best photographers because, as previously mentioned, if the photographer shoots "crap" then it's useless to me anyway. My book is headshots, my online portfolio is more diverse cuz to me at least, I get bored looking at face after face after face.  But I'm not the norm.

Pink Beauty, MUA

Jan 11 07 08:37 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Photogs should appreciate MUAs. It saves them work in editing.

Jan 11 07 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sommer Mbonu Pro Makeup

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi!!

Personally i prefer alot of variety in my book. From3/4, full fashion image, to beauty to micro closeups. They all lend a hand in determining your own versatility as an artist. If it is beauty shot..for me...it has to STILL be exciting to me...i hate boring images. As a result i am picky with whom i work with.

sommer

Jan 11 07 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

alartz

New York, New York, US

Couture Imagery wrote:

Completely right my friend!  Anytime I have a shoot with an MUA present, I would also supply them with Beauty Shots they actually need for their port.  As for me, I always think of not just myself but they llama, hair and makeup and well the stylist!

Jan 12 07 11:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophie R

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Pink Beauty wrote:
IMy book is headshots, my online portfolio is more diverse cuz to me at least, I get bored looking at face after face after face.

Ditto.

Jan 12 07 12:01 pm Link