Forums > General Industry > How much to charge for magazine photos?

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

A consumer electronics print magazine wants 4 photos of a model holding an electronic gadget.  It has a circulation of 70,000. 

I would like to know what would be a fair pair price for such.

Thanks........ -Glenn

Jan 11 07 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
A consumer electronics print magazine wants 4 photos of a model holding an electronic gadget.  It has a circulation of 70,000. 

Thanks........ -Glenn

Magazines generally pay on the size they publish the photos at. Front cover pays the most and then they have different rates for full page photos, half page, quarter page, etc...

Jan 11 07 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Glenn Francis wrote:

Thanks........ -Glenn

for the cover? inside full page, half page, quarter page, 1/8th, etc?

Jan 11 07 01:59 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

(whips out pen, ready to jot some fast notes)

Jan 11 07 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

most magazine post their pay scales which mostly have to do with where the shot is used in the magazine, and how it is printed.  their pay scale is usually pretty set and it is rarely deviated from.

if you have them over a barrel you can check what they charge to advertise in a similar place size and amount in their magazine and adjust accordingly. 

the information should be a matter of public record and you should be able to get it anonymously, usually online.

having said all that, a magazine asking me to tell them how much i want to charge them to use my photos ...

(even and maybe especially if it is an extraordinary set of images)

would set off all kinds of warning flags in my head, and i would check up on them
and their track record on working with photographers, with a group like asmp or ep
(editorial photographers)  you can also likely find out something pertinent in the latest photographers market.

good luck and let us know how it goes please.

Jan 11 07 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer 4839594

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

I think it also depends on how your price structuring is set up.  You can be paid by the job (which I assume is what you are asking about), OR you could decide you wanted to be paid by the hour.  If you are paid by the hour, then (depending on your skill level) you could ask for $100-$200 an hour plus expenses.  More details would probably be a great help in better answering the question  though.

Hope this helps.

Jan 11 07 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

It depends on what the electronic gadget is. If that gadget is a Doc Johnson whirlybird anal penetrating rotating gel vibrator with pearlescent finish and wireless remote control, you may charge more.

Jan 11 07 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lily of the Valley

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Do a google search for stock photography pricing, there are a couple of calculators i use

Jan 11 07 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

make sure of the usage because if this is an "ad-vertorial" and not purely editorial you should be getting a lot more than their posted editorial rates or general editorial stock fees. it also complicates the usage in many ways.

i would hesitate to just go online to check on stock "rates" because it should be usage that primarily determines the value of an image to a client.  imo selling stock through an agent of some sort is usually the better way to go.   

less work for you and a vested interest in getting you the best price the market and situation will allow.

Jan 11 07 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
It depends on what the electronic gadget is. If that gadget is a Doc Johnson whirlybird anal penetrating rotating gel vibrator with pearlescent finish and wireless remote control, you may charge more.

That's pretty descriptive, Michael... Something we should know about you before the Meet and Greet?  lol

*sorry for the derail..  carry on...*

Jan 11 07 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

I don't know the print size of the ads.  The photos will be somewhere inside, not on the cover. That's about all I know at this point. Gadgets will be small hand-held stuff - cell-phones, MP3 players, cameras, etc...

thanks.......... -Glenn

Jan 11 07 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

this one should get you in the ball park...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 11 07 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Haven't they told you what they are willing to pay?

Jan 11 07 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Haven't they told you what they are willing to pay?

No, they asked me what I would charge.

Thanks........... -Glenn

Jan 11 07 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

this one should get you in the ball park...

Thanks Doug....I couldnt find the link.
I would recommend using this as a start as well.  I've used it a few times and it's worked for me.

Jan 11 07 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

i know i have said this before ...

but imo that's just weird ...

was it the photo editor or the art department you were talking to?

or someone else?

Glenn Francis wrote:

No, they asked me what I would charge.

Thanks........... -Glenn

Jan 11 07 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

richard boswell wrote:

or someone else?

I produce the same type of photos for an on-line consumer gadget website:  http://gadgetmodels.i4u.com/

I produce all the Gadget Models of the Month. The publisher of a print magazine asked the publisher of the on-line gadget website how much it would cost to get pictures like those done for his print magazine.  The on-line gadget website (i4u.com) publisher forwarded the question to me. The question was: How much for 4-5 pictures of a model holding an electronic gadget.  The only print spec was 300dpi.

Thanks.......... -Glenn

Jan 11 07 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

AHouston

Norfolk, Virginia, US

Glen,

Good luck with your potential assignment.  I would just like to "second" the suggestions to check the ASMP website.   You might also want to pick up a copy of "Licensing Photography" by Weisgram and Perlman.  The answer on what to charge? is ... it depends.  That, book and others provide guidance on what factors to take into consideration for a specific situation.

Jan 11 07 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Hurley

Salem, Massachusetts, US

You should check into www.editorialphoto.com It depends on usage and circulation. You want to license the picture not sell them outright. So many Photographers are such bad business people. We (Photographers) really need to step up to the plate business wise. It is great to have your work published however we still need to pay the bills.

Jan 11 07 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

richard boswell wrote:

or someone else?

i dont think it is that odd.

i have been asked my rates before. i told them mine, they told me what they usually charge, and we see if we can come to an agreement.

Jan 11 07 06:08 pm Link