Forums > General Industry > $600 Magic Number

Photographer

Studio 960

Missoula, Montana, US

A Tip for models:

When you do a PAID job for a photographer, by IRS laws an employer MUST report earnings of anyone paid OVER $600 with a 1099 form.

What does this mean to you?  If a photogrpaher does not pay you more than $600 in a fiscal year, he is not "required" to report your earnings to the IRS.  Of course if you did 2 shoots that paid $400 each he would have to get your SS# and report your earnings.

So what are you suppose to do if you earn more than $600 over multiple payments from an individual photographer?  Report the earnings!!  haha

My point?

If you are paid less than $600 I would NOT give my SS info to a photographer. . .  I'm trusting YOU will report your earnings to the IRS (hmm)

If you are paid more than $600, yes, the photographer is correct in getting your SS info and giving you a 1099 at the end of the year.

Conclusion: If I was a model I would charge $600 max with an individual photographer and then report my earnings by "MY" records at the end of the year.

Comprendo??  ;o)
Joe

Jan 11 07 03:16 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Umm... Not really.
Only if she is your employee are you required to get her SS#. And if she's your employee, you have a lot more to worry about.

If you are paying her for a service, $600+, it's her responsibility, not yours.

Jan 11 07 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Studio 960

Missoula, Montana, US

Oooh, not so my Sir. . . check with IRS on subcontractor  payment reg's.

If you pay ANY subcontractor (aside from Employees), you are required to report earnings OVER $600

Trust me, I was a former A/P person.

Joe

Jan 11 07 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Studio 960

Missoula, Montana, US

Sorry. . .  I meant Madam.

And further, to report the earnings, you use a 1099 which NEEDS the SS#

Jan 11 07 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

I agree. this isn't just for models either - its universal across all venues of employment

Jan 11 07 04:50 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Iris Swope wrote:
Umm... Not really.
Only if she is your employee are you required to get her SS#. And if she's your employee, you have a lot more to worry about.

If you are paying her for a service, $600+, it's her responsibility, not yours.

Iris:

This is not true.  Any independant contractor (i.e. "model") that you pay over $600 to in any one calendar year must be reported to the IRS.

Don't you find it strange when you shoot for a Corporate commercial client that they want your SSN or business TIN even if the job is under $600?  IRS compliance is the reason.

Jan 11 07 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

When models/photographers/MUA's/Stylists/etc... are paid by me for personal projects or for my clients, no SS# or Tax ID #, no payment. 

If a Model does not like giving out her SS#, it's fine, just do yourself a favor and don't lose out on paying jobs, get yourself a Federal Tax ID No. from the IRS.  You can do it on the phone, you can do it over the internet, it costs you nothing.

Jan 11 07 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

Studio 960 wrote:
Sorry. . .  I meant Madam.

And further, to report the earnings, you use a 1099 which NEEDS the SS#

I can vouch for this - my husband, as a telecommunications sub-contractor, ONLY works as a 1099 employee - anything over $600 must reported this way and does require a SSN - and when paid this way, workers are not considered employees, thus no need for unemployment, taxes or SS to be taken out.  It is the contractor's resposibility to do that.

Jan 11 07 11:06 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

are you suggesting models not report income? because then you are suggesting illegal activity.

EDIT: I may have read it wrong, that's why I'm asking.

Jan 11 07 11:09 am Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:
are you suggesting models not report income? because then you are suggesting illegal activity.

EDIT: I may have read it wrong, that's why I'm asking.

I think what he meant was that there are "ways" to report a little less, not that he's saying to not report at all. Any independent contractor can get around laws like this by reporting to the IRS less than they actually made since they are reporting something. You just have to be careful if you're audited. I have friends that tattoo that keep one log of their actual earnings, and a seperate one (for IRS purposes) that logs the stuff he is going to report.

Jan 11 07 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

Studio 960 is partially right.  [edit] ALL payments to subcontractors (models) need to be recorded (regardless of amount) and you are technically required to have the SS# (Taxpayer Identification Number) of every subcontractor you pay. I also disagree with Studio 960's three paragraphs under "My Point".

Iris Swope is wrong.

It's not that difficult to get the models SS# (as required by law) if done properly.

You simply hand her this form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

It's quite self-explanitory. She hands you back the completed form, you hand her the check - in that order.

No Problems.

big_smile

-Glenn

Jan 11 07 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
Studio 960 is right.

Iris Swope is wrong.

It's not that difficult to get the models SS# (as required by law) if done properly.

You simply hand her this form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

It's quite self-explanitory. She hands you back the completed form, you hand her the check - in that order.

No Problems.

big_smile

-Glenn

Oh you are a laugh riot suggesting that models no how to read.

I kid, i kid.

Jan 11 07 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Demo wrote:

I think what he meant was that there are "ways" to report a little less, not that he's saying to not report at all. Any independent contractor can get around laws like this by reporting to the IRS less than they actually made since they are reporting something. You just have to be careful if you're audited. I have friends that tattoo that keep one log of their actual earnings, and a seperate one (for IRS purposes) that logs the stuff he is going to report.

AKA SCAMMING THE SYSTEM.... LOL
that was just a long winded answer

Jan 11 07 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
Oh you are a laugh riot suggesting that models no how to read.

I kid, i kid.

correct! - Sort of.  They *will not* read.  That is part of what I mean by "if done properly."  If you hand them an official IRS form, they will write in their SS#.  If you ask them to tell it to you, or write it down on a sticky note..... well..... let's just call that the "inproper" way.

-Glenn

Jan 11 07 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

This thread is a perfect example of why law enforcement, prosecutors, and the IRS LOVE computers and the internet. People don't think twice about providing a potentially  incriminating paper trail in a totally traceable medium.

And if you think law enforcement doesn't have time to be bothered chasing down such petty violations, please recall that the very first use of the expanded powers under the Patriot Act was to go after a San Diego strip club owner accused of bribing a town councilman.

Jan 11 07 02:08 pm Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

dncphotos wrote:
AKA SCAMMING THE SYSTEM.... LOL
that was just a long winded answer

I prefer "euphemistic"... wink

Jan 11 07 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Hamza wrote:
When models/photographers/MUA's/Stylists/etc... are paid by me for personal projects or for my clients, no SS# or Tax ID #, no payment. 

If a Model does not like giving out her SS#, it's fine, just do yourself a favor and don't lose out on paying jobs, get yourself a Federal Tax ID No. from the IRS.  You can do it on the phone, you can do it over the internet, it costs you nothing.

Actually, that's what I was thinking of, the Federal Tax ID #... Which agencies have you get as soon as you start working...

Jan 11 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Refracted Thoughts

Vaihingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

What about non-cash compensation...you ask someone to be in an ad and offer them a $600 porfolio package in exchange? Or they get to keep a $800 dress from the store? Is it just money the IRS needs to track?

So after the 30th lap dance, I can deduct the stripper as a business expense?

Jan 11 07 04:18 pm Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

Steve Roark wrote:
So after the 30th lap dance, I can deduct the stripper as a business expense?

I think that's reasonable... wink

Jan 11 07 07:42 pm Link