Forums > General Industry > I want to be in Maxim!!!

Photographer

mr roboto

Irvine, California, US

but how does one become a staff photographer???

Jan 11 07 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Apply for the job if they have openings?

Jan 11 07 02:39 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

plastic wrote:

lol i thought this was a newbie forum post about wanting to actually be "in" Maxim. But to answer your question, I honestly don't know. lol...try contacting them maybe through website, via phone. Try both.

~Chantelle~
www.simplychantelle.com

EDIT: and you have to have more experience then just one shoot I would imagine. Get more experienced in shooting and then contact them. IMHO

Jan 11 07 02:42 am Link

Photographer

mr roboto

Irvine, California, US

Chantelle Gascoigne wrote:

lol i thought this was a newbie forum post about wanting to actually be "in" Maxim. But to answer your question, I honestly don't know. lol...try contacting them maybe through website, via phone. Try both.

~Chantelle~
www.simplychantelle.com

EDIT: and you have to have more experience then just one shoot I would imagine. Get more experienced in shooting and then contact them. IMHO

true. i probably need more experience than one shoot. but i think i figured out the maxim look. so next shoot i'll hopefully be able to shoot on par with them

Jan 11 07 02:48 am Link

Model

Adieu

Aren't they closing Maxim for America?

Jan 11 07 02:50 am Link

Model

Layla_M

Long Beach, California, US

Send your port to the photo editor. The address is listed in the magazine either on the third page in or the back inside cover.

Be warned, they receive almost as many aspiring photgrapher portfolios as they do aspiring model portfolios. You will most likely not get what you send back.

Jan 11 07 02:52 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

plastic wrote:

Submit photos and work up?

Jan 11 07 02:54 am Link

Model

Layla_M

Long Beach, California, US

plastic wrote:
true. i probably need more experience than one shoot. but i think i figured out the maxim look. so next shoot i'll hopefully be able to shoot on par with them

Wait, just saw this part... You've only had the ONE shoot with maxim style photos? You are going to need at least 10-15 images to send in. They should be of all different models. Get shooting.

Jan 11 07 02:55 am Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

plastic wrote:

Do they even HAVE staff photographers?!?  So few magazines have them anymore... cheaper for them to use freelancers...

Jan 11 07 02:56 am Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

plastic wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! One shoot and you want to take Maxim by storm? You have cajones, young skywalker!  So far you have great potential and I like your shoot in your portfolio, but no one will talk to a photographer with ONE SHOOT  under their belt.  Your portfolio REALLY should have more than one shoot.  That being said, I look forward to seeing your shoot where you actively replicate the Maxim look.  smile

Jan 11 07 03:12 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

plastic wrote:

Is that the Maxim look?

Jan 11 07 03:37 am Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

keep it up man!!! I'm sure you'll get in sometime...how old are you?

Jan 11 07 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Thomas Oed wrote:

Do they even HAVE staff photographers?!?  So few magazines have them anymore... cheaper for them to use freelancers...

Yes Maxim has Staff photographers, in fact most large publications have a couple and the rest are freelance.

Jan 11 07 03:43 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Monica Jay wrote:
Aren't they closing Maxim for America?

FHM, not Maxim

Jan 11 07 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Iris Swope wrote:

Is that the Maxim look?

Don't look now, but me thinks this is a photographer's version of "I want to be a Victoria Secret model".

Jan 11 07 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

He has "drawers"? Or did you mean "cojones"! LOL

F.Y. Hamada wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! One shoot and you want to take Maxim by storm? You have cajones, young skywalker!  So far you have great potential and I like your shoot in your portfolio, but no one will talk to a photographer with ONE SHOOT  under their belt.  Your portfolio REALLY should have more than one shoot.  That being said, I look forward to seeing your shoot where you actively replicate the Maxim look.  smile

Jan 11 07 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Not in his port!

Iris Swope wrote:

Is that the Maxim look?

Jan 11 07 04:26 am Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

I shot a Red Tailed Hawk in my back yard!

...Now where is that National Geo. phone #???

Jan 11 07 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I'd be asking how old the model is because she looks a bit young for the type of images shot...

Daniel Woolfolk wrote:
keep it up man!!! I'm sure you'll get in sometime...how old are you?

Jan 11 07 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Red House Pacific

Chula Vista, California, US

plastic wrote:

You keep shooting and Maxim will call you!
Aim high kid!

-D.

Jan 11 07 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

Plastic,

Here is a perfect class for you, But it is being held in Manchester, NH. Mike Brochu has been published in Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and Tease Magazines. I have helped him with the cover shot for a 2006 Calender for Royal Purple/Prestige Models. Got my name credited in the calender as well.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=669934

Dave

Jan 11 07 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Christopher Brady wrote:

GO FOR IT!

Jan 11 07 06:27 am Link

Photographer

DSmith Photo

Melrose, Iowa, US

From OP's profile:

"I'm a learning glamour photographer who has hopes of working with Maxim someday...but I'm still just a beginner...so please bare with me."

Unless the pun is intended, "bear with me" might be a better choice.  And having a model that looks older than twelve might be a good idea, too.

Jan 11 07 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Christopher Brady wrote:

Sports Illustrated has started to bug me every Oct asking to see all my swimwear work.  They've offered me $10,000 for a weeks worth of work in some exotic Virgin Island location.  I just don't have the time right now so I had to turn it down.

Jan 11 07 11:08 am Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Here... a freelance photographer request:

Hi there. We need images of vagina, especially special technique ones. please contact only if you have appropriate photo. some external shots of a woman may also count, but please, do not propose erotic or similar shots. we only need it for science purposes. we do not need images of naked women! rate is 200 per shot - we may need even 5. expecting only serious bidders!

Seriously, http://www.imagebyrequest.com/image_photo_1234768.htm

Jan 11 07 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

plastic wrote:
but i think i figured out the maxim look. so next shoot i'll hopefully be able to shoot on par with them

Half of the photographers here, I'm sure, think they've figured out the 'Maxim look'. Will make little difference in the grand scheme of things, I suspect.

Jan 11 07 11:28 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Maxim look changes every month. How could one possibly figure it out...oh wait...I know..."Cover your nipples...look hot...look sexy...*Click*...okay, now let's shoot next month's edition." smile

Jan 11 07 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

just like any magazine, you have what they want in a certain area they will use you...the staff they have is small and like most magazines work more with freelancers, but that style is ubiquitous, so GL with it!

Jan 11 07 11:33 am Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
He has "drawers"? Or did you mean "cojones"! LOL

Of course.  He has MASSIVE DRAWERS!!!!!!!!!!  That's the measure of a REAL MAN!! wink

Jan 11 07 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

LOL...

I love MM!

Jan 11 07 01:47 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

While you guys are heckling him a bit, If it had been a model, she would be lying in little shreds on the floor at this point.

Jan 11 07 02:00 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Nemi Bea wrote:
While you guys are heckling him a bit, If it had been a model, she would be lying in little shreds on the floor at this point.

Yeah, and we would have been called jealous bitches by the photographers running to her defense telling her how beautiful she is and how if she were close, they would soooo shoot with her.... Pssssh...

Jan 11 07 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

mr roboto

Irvine, California, US

Iris Swope wrote:

Is that the Maxim look?

no my current pictures are the get-into-MM-with-a-minimum-of-4-pictures look

Jan 11 07 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

mr roboto

Irvine, California, US

thanks for the comments everyone. i'll try my best!

Jan 11 07 05:07 pm Link