Forums > General Industry > Gray backgrounds

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

They are way to popular lately for fashion shoots.  Where did that come from?

Jan 10 07 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I would think because grey is a neutral color and it doesn’t over power the minds eye for the wardrobe.

But I'm a newbie...so I could be way wrong

Jan 10 07 06:22 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I would think because grey is a neutral color and it doesn’t over power the minds eye for the wardrobe.

But I'm a newbie...so I could be way wrong

I thought so too  before, but then I thought that if that would be true, then why didn't they use it before just now...

I guess it is just another tredn.  My suggestion was:  Because during the runway the background is usually greish..  and getting used to see runway gray pictures, made a gray background a sign of "fashion" theme... am I wrong?

Jan 10 07 06:26 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

or maybe becuase grey gives the picture more of this 3-d effect...

Jan 10 07 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Or perhaps Gray seamless was on sale.  smile

Jan 10 07 06:31 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Mark Anderson wrote:
Or perhaps Gray seamless was on sale.  smile

big_smile
Very well coud be!

Jan 10 07 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

MrMisadventure

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well to be frank even if you shoot off of a white or black seamless and you aren't going for a exposure or lighting set up that'll give clean white or black backdrops, the seamless will come out grey.

Jan 10 07 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I got my painted canvas one from Denny's and the paper from Savage.
One nice thing with a gray BG is if you gel it it can be any color you want it to be. Very rarely do I use gray paper BG's

Jan 10 07 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

gray or grey is classic.  that is why i do it.

Jan 10 07 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

ok, i lied, it is actually because i don't light my backgrounds.  tongue

Jan 10 07 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dames

The greats have been using grey backgrounds since way back. Penn, Avedon, I could go on...
This is nothing new.  What comes around goes around..

Jan 10 07 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

jimmyd

Los Angeles, California, US

It's my fault. I started the trend. I've shot way too many chicks on a gray seamless. Everyone then copied me. Sorry.

Jan 10 07 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

I love gray. A nice dark gray, like say the one I shot with in my avi. After shooting so much high key against a bright white background, you just begin to really yearn for something else. Anything else. Unfortunately in most of my cases, it is client driven and I do as I'm told, however, I recently was asked by a client as to what I thought would suit the shoot as they were thinking white .....again..... ugh! and I said trust me... gray. Dark gray.

That was the shoot for Glamour Campaign in Los Angeles and guess what?... the client (designer) LOVED IT!! And so did I. I also just recently used that same seemless for another client with my recent Zasha shoot. Of course they changed it in post for the website to an orangy sepia color.

Jan 10 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Gray has been used forever. It's not a trend. Not a current look.

Look at what Horst P Horst was doing in the 30's. Damn sexy with gray backgrounds.

Jan 10 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I like gray. Nice medium, classic background. I never cared for white (although it does have its place), love Black (not not everything looks good against black), and gray just seems to go with most anything. I have three: one is a plastic like solid light gray; one is a solid like darker gray; and one is a muslan gray with some hints of white thoughout almost like gray marble.  It's good stuff.  Oh, and I started the trend, not that other guy.

PS I think it had to do with the neutral color it gave images when things were shot on Black and White.

Jan 10 07 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Meech Creative LLC

Frederick, Maryland, US

Gray is the new white which used to be the new black.

Jan 10 07 07:17 pm Link

Model

Kai

Long Beach, California, US

I think it has to do with the color balance and having an 18% grey background. The metering on cameras wants to create an even tonal pattern without too many over or underexposed areas and this is the proportion to which it aspires. Just a guess

Jan 10 07 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

Julia wrote:
They are way to popular lately for fashion shoots.  Where did that come from?

Geesh, then a gray prop (bench) must really get on your nerves. big_smile
https://www.guywithacamera.com/posts/JD_2162.jpg

And you can always add some color to them with little effort.
https://www.guywithacamera.com/posts/JD_2327.jpg

As has been said in a previous post, it's been done for many many moons.

and i told myself i was going to stay out of the general forum smile

Jan 10 07 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chipshotz

Tampa, Florida, US

Neutral grey (gray, grea) can be changed to any color in post production.. because well... it's neutral.. the same is not so with  black/white (because they have tonal qualities).. thats why I use it... plus I stole the idea from jimmyd

Jan 10 07 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

its always been there, but it wasnt as big a couple years ago.  it seemed then everyone was wanting to use more location driven photography.  i think part of this return to studio in national mags is part of a response to digital.  since nearly any shot can be turned into a good one with photoshop, people have turned to the studio where knowledge is still the key so they can show off their abilities.  just my thoughts on it.

Jan 10 07 07:34 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I love gray. A nice dark gray, like say the one I shot with in my avi. After shooting so much high key against a bright white background, you just begin to really yearn for something else. Anything else. Unfortunately in most of my cases, it is client driven and I do as I'm told, however, I recently was asked by a client as to what I thought would suit the shoot as they were thinking white .....again..... ugh! and I said trust me... gray. Dark gray.

That was the shoot for Glamour Campaign in Los Angeles and guess what?... the client (designer) LOVED IT!! And so did I. I also just recently used that same seemless for another client with my recent Zasha shoot. Of course they changed it in post for the website to an orangy sepia color.

I like this sepia color - looks really warm, welcomming and neat.

Jan 11 07 12:18 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

I hate backdrops, reminds me of senior portaits. Give me a natural setting any day.

Jan 11 07 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Julia wrote:
I thought so too  before, but then I thought that if that would be true, then why didn't they use it before just now...

I guess it is just another tredn.  My suggestion was:  Because during the runway the background is usually greish..  and getting used to see runway gray pictures, made a gray background a sign of "fashion" theme... am I wrong?

I have used grey backgrounds for fashion for about 30 years so nothing new about it. The background in my avatar was grey.

Jan 11 07 07:43 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dames wrote:
The greats have been using grey backgrounds since way back. Penn, Avedon, I could go on...
This is nothing new.  What comes around goes around..

Bingo ! I was gonna say the say thing...Franceso Scavullo, Avedon...all the greats used grey. Michael Thompson is another current international shooter who uses thunder grey backdrops...better light control and allows the model and the fashion to stand out better. Simple, and clean. smile

Jan 11 07 07:47 am Link