Forums > General Industry > hard. so hard...

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

i think one of the hardest things about shoots is going through the results afterward and trying to find the ONE that really stands out above all the others and deserves to go out into the world to represent the day's work.

any thoughts on what you look for from that one stand-out picture?  is it an inexplicable process of elimination and choice?  does one usually just speak to you?  how do you decide what to go with?

Jan 10 07 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

I use aperture.  I put all the images up and pick the ones that immediately grab my attention.  Sometimes I don't go through the entire set.  It's fun to revisit the shoot a few months later and work on images you didn't expect to use or like.

Jan 10 07 06:07 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

swhnyc wrote:
i think one of the hardest things about shoots is going through the results afterward and trying to find the ONE that really stands out above all the others and deserves to go out into the world to represent the day's work.

any thoughts on what you look for from that one stand-out picture?  is it an inexplicable process of elimination and choice?  does one usually just speak to you?  how do you decide what to go with?

That is such a good post~!

I'd like to know how other people deal with that.

I personally,
First:
Select the pictures that make me feel like batterflys in my stomach

Second:
Look for technical/pose/expression flow in the picture (that leaves me with a few less)

Third: ask people I trust (my friends) for an opinion.

Fourth:
GO back to photos and review them in a few days, like a week or so.

Jan 10 07 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

its hard to explain- I just go one by one until I reach the ones that call out to me. its weird.

Jan 10 07 06:18 pm Link