Forums > General Industry > The Mind's Eye

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Just a quick survey. If you join you have to answer all three questions. My thread, my rules.

1) Have you ever heard the expression? If so how do you interpret it?
2) How good or bad are you at conveying your mind's eye in any other medium?
3) What is your biggest obstacle?

RB

Jan 09 07 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

1.I've always defined it for myself as the perception of an idea in my mind. 
The way I envision a project before I start on it.
2. I'm pretty good at conveying it.  Either in Photography, acrylic, charcoal, or pen.  On occasion it's been conveyed in pencil on the back of a bar napkin just to get it out of my head.
3.Biggest Obstacle: Supplies or Funds to get the image created EXACTLY the way I envision it.

Jan 09 07 01:58 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Caspers Creations wrote:
1.I've always defined it for myself as the perception of an idea in my mind. 
The way I envision a project before I start on it.
2. I'm pretty good at conveying it.  Either in Photography, acrylic, charcoal, or pen.  On occasion it's been conveyed in pencil on the back of a bar napkin just to get it out of my head.
3.Biggest Obstacle: Supplies or Funds to get the image created EXACTLY the way I envision it.

Ok, you really didn't answer question number 1. On question number 3 what supplies and funding would make things good?

RB

Jan 09 07 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

RBDesign wrote:

Ok, you really didn't answer question number 1. On question number 3 what supplies and funding would make things good?

RB

How did I not answer question#1?  Have I heard the expression and how do I interpret it.
"1.I've always defined it for myself as the perception of an idea in my mind.  The way I envision a project before I start on it."  That is my interpretation of the term Minds Eye.

To answer your question....."what supplies and funding would make things good"
I never suggested that things were BAD now, only that supplies and funds would help get past the obstacle of making things exactly how I see them in my minds eye.
The supplies and funds would depend on what project I'm working on.  If I could have a Hasselblad H3D and a studio....three levels(2,500 sq ft each) designed to my specifications.......that would be very helpful in getting past my obstacle.

Jan 09 07 02:21 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

RBDesign wrote:

RB

its me...the rest I can take care of when I'm not around smile

Jan 09 07 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

1) Have you ever heard the expression?

Yes.

Still 1) If so how do you interpret it?

The visual images that are formed mentally.

Better with writing than with photography. Sometimes good with public speaking. I haven't used other media that I can think of right now.

Lack of technical knowledge.

Jan 09 07 02:27 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Caspers Creations wrote:

How did I not answer question#1?  Have I heard the expression and how do I interpret it.
"1.I've always defined it for myself as the perception of an idea in my mind.  The way I envision a project before I start on it."  That is my interpretation of the term Minds Eye.

To answer your question....."what supplies and funding would make things good"
I never suggested that things were BAD now, only that supplies and funds would help get past the obstacle of making things exactly how I see them in my minds eye.
The supplies and funds would depend on what project I'm working on.  If I could have a Hasselblad H3D and a studio....three levels(2,500 sq ft each) designed to my specifications.......that would be very helpful in getting past my obstacle.

I was not trying to start a fight. I guess I should have assumed that you heard the expression.

RB

Jan 09 07 02:46 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Koray wrote:

its me...the rest I can take care of when I'm not around smile

Me to.

RB

Jan 09 07 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

1) yes

2) you tell me..

https://www.lotusimages.com/bryce/images/bryce02.jpg

3) see (1)

Jan 09 07 03:07 am Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

lotusphoto wrote:
1) yes

2) you tell me..

3) see (1)

OMG..,....I love Lotus!!!

Jan 09 07 03:10 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

lotusphoto wrote:
1) yes

2) you tell me..

3) see (1)

It was a question of one's self, not for judgement.

RB

Ps. Why is the orb on the ground colored like a basket ball?
Dagnabit why can't anyone follow the really simple rules?

Jan 09 07 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

RBDesign wrote:
Why is the orb on the ground colored like a basket ball?
Dagnabit why can't anyone follow the really simple rules?

i have a bit of athlets foot, i grabbed a tube, squeezed some stuff on my toes, but realized all to late that i had picked up the oragel...

Jan 09 07 03:22 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

lotusphoto wrote:

i have a bit of athlets foot, i grabbed a tube, squeezed some stuff on my toes, but realized all to late that i had picked up the oragel...

I do not believe that actually happened but it did in your mind's eye. Now please stop hijacking and let us get back to the matter at hand.

RB

Jan 09 07 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

RBDesign wrote:

I do not believe that actually happened but it did in your mind's eye. Now please stop hijacking and let us get back to the matter at hand.

RB

i'm actually am that stupid sometimes, but when i am i sort of find a way to 'fix' things or adjust, a lot of creativity is knowing that your minds eye isn't going to be represented at all, and that whatever you are goofing around with at the moment might be your medium..

(unjacked)

Jan 09 07 03:33 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

lotusphoto wrote:

i'm actually am that stupid sometimes, but when i am i sort of find a way to 'fix' things or adjust, a lot of creativity is knowing that your minds eye isn't going to be represented at all, and that whatever you are goofing around with at the moment might be your medium..

(unjacked)

There you go all philosophical on me again. Can you tell that I had a few martinis?

RB

Jan 09 07 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

RBDesign wrote:

There you go all philosophical on me again. Can you tell that I had a few martinis?

RB

is your medium shaken or stirred?

Jan 09 07 03:47 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

lotusphoto wrote:

is your medium shaken or stirred?

Take a wild guess.

RB

Jan 09 07 03:49 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

A Henri Cartier-Bresson term and book title though he was more well know for his "decisive moment' term I think.  Intellectual visions. Cold to me. i'd have perfered the Heart's eye since i find the best art to be more emotional based rather than there result of intellectualism.

I'll stick to photography as my art medium.

In photography it's finding models who understand what i am doing and want to be a part of it over a period of time and without finical rewards. Money screws up art.

Jan 09 07 03:50 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Mike Walker wrote:

A Henri Cartier-Bresson term and book title though he was more well know for his "decisive moment' term I think.  Intellectual visions. Cold to me. i'd have perfered the Heart's eye since i find the best art to be more emotional based rather than there result of intellectualism.

I'll stick to photography as my art medium.

In photography it's finding models who understand what i am doing and want to be a part of it over a period of time and without finical rewards. Money screws up art.

Mike,

Thank you for not making fun and being honest. I gained a bit of wisdom from you.

RB

Jan 09 07 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

The Minds Eye, as I interpret it, is about our abilities to see things in a less concrete manner. In the physical, concrete world, "It is what it is". While my mind's eye would argue "It ain't what it aint"

The mediums may vary, but the laws that bind them are universal. Sometimes I'm a few steps in front of the average person, but my discoveries often lead to bigger questions which means we're always in parallel.

Creating physical representations of abstract thoughts in a simple, elegant package.

Jan 09 07 04:11 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Mark Sebastian wrote:
The Minds Eye, as I interpret it, is about our abilities to see things in a less concrete manner. In the physical, concrete world, "It is what it is". While my mind's eye would argue "It ain't what it aint"

The mediums may vary, but the laws that bind them are universal. I think I'm a few steps in front of the average person which is why i'm constantly exploring new mediums, but my discoveries often lead to bigger questions.

Creating physical representations for abstract thoughts in a simple, elegant package.

Thank you. Not my set of answers but very interesting as a contrast. (I am being very selfish tonight)

RB

Jan 09 07 04:19 am Link