Forums > General Industry > Models with their own stylists..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

How common is this?  Came up in another thread, and it'd never even crossed my mind before..

Jan 08 07 03:47 pm Link

Model

Red Hot Annie

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've read people who say they bring them, but in 5 years, I've never met someone who actually did.

Jan 08 07 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

I've had 2 shoots where the model brought a stylist.

Jan 08 07 03:57 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dawn Geary

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I get asked by models all the time to go with them to shoots. Or I've had a few ask me just to come into the closets and pick out the right clothes to wear.

Jan 08 07 04:19 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Michael Hall

Seattle, Washington, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
How common is this?  Came up in another thread, and it'd never even crossed my mind before..

that's cuz you haven't hit the big time.  If you find one that actually knows about that sort of thing, Shoot her.

Secret:I's usally NOt the model who rules, It's the STLYIST.

Let the STYLIST do...WHATEVER.

Jan 08 07 04:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I have a stylist/MUA now, but she's my friend and helps me out cuz of our friendship.  But you're probably talking about real models with real stylists, aren't you?

Jan 08 07 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Michael Hall wrote:
that's cuz you haven't hit the big time.  If you find one that actually knows about that sort of thing, Shoot her.

Let the STYLIST do...WHATEVER.

If I ever hit the big time... I'm aiming for its nuts.

Jan 08 07 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I've had a number of models come with their own stylists.

Unfortunately, a couple times the "stylist" was just the model's friend who knew NOTHING about makeup or hair and made the model look worse than she did when she walked in the door.

And once, so help me, the stylist was better-looking than the model! I tried to convince her to join in the shoot, but she wasn't interested (and I wasn't about to push the issue).

Jan 08 07 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've had several models bring MUA's and hair stylists to shoots. So far it was a huge help every time. This one:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1571505

brought a MUA/HS who spent more time on getting her ready than the actual shoot took. It was worth it.

The ones that did this were experienced models (two of them were agency models who just wanted some fresh pics.) I've never had a model bring a "friend" to do her makeup or hair, although sometimes they ask the friend, on the rare occasion they bring one, to come in and watch them put on the makeup and let them know if they get it uneven or something.

M

Jan 08 07 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Michael Hall wrote:

Which is why the models end up being household names?

Jan 08 07 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Which is why the models end up being household names?

When non-creative types look at pictures, they focus only the subject. And if the subject is a hot girl, well, one plus one equals two. Hence "secret". Most of these people don't think "wow, who took that shot?" or "gosh, who did her hair?"
It's always "who's that girl?"

Doesn't mean the rest of us aren't crucial to that shot.

Jan 08 07 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

This is why it's important for photographers to be without a camera and surrounded by models who love them at industry events. "Who's that guy with all those models?" If you have a camera the other photographers will ignore you.

Jan 08 07 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

JenniferMaria wrote:

When non-creative types look at pictures, they focus only the subject. And if the subject is a hot girl, well, one plus one equals two. Hence "secret". Most of these people don't think "wow, who took that shot?" or "gosh, who did her hair?"
It's always "who's that girl?"

Doesn't mean the rest of us aren't crucial to that shot.

I see you missed my point. No worries.

Jan 08 07 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I see you missed my point. No worries.

I think she saw it and chose to ignore.

Jan 08 07 11:15 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

I would love to have one if they won't charge me hundred+ bucks for each TFP.
Especially when I can do quite a good job myself.

Jan 09 07 01:45 am Link

Model

SMG4607

New Britain, Connecticut, US

back in ct i had my own team wardrobe and hair stylists as well as mua ow that im in cali i have`no one tear lol ;0

Jan 11 07 12:49 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

W.G. Rowland wrote:

If I ever hit the big time... I'm aiming for its nuts.

AGAIN with the nuts... ALVAYS is the nuts with you...

I have encountered this phenomenon a few times, and it has made for a superb outcome. When a good stylist is familiar with the model, they wring out even better results.
Kinda like the guys who paint black velvet Elvis, or dogs playing poker. When you paint the same canvas so many times you get REALLY good...

Jan 11 07 02:19 am Link