Forums > General Industry > where to stay in NEW YORK CITY

Model

Deactivated profile 123

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi,

I am starting to plan a weekend trip to NYC this spring and I was wondering where the best  hotels are. I want the usual, affordable ( $200 night max), nice, clean, good location, etc. If anyone has any good deals (or bad experiences of where to stay away from ) I would love to hear from you.

I did live in NYC back in 95 and i know what neighborhoods are bad and good, but never stayed in any hotels (   cuz i had an apt smile   )

thank you in advance!!

Jan 08 07 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Brophy

New York, New York, US

Hi,

Well most people I know that come here usually stay with a friend because it is so damn expensive. I know I have put my share of people up for the week. I actually lost a lease once for letting an entire Irish band stay at my place. It was worth it. Do you not know anyone in NY?

As for hotels, anywhere in Manhattan is pretty much safe. Most of course are around Times Square and Grand Central but are also the most expensive. If you want to go out and party some, I would suggest around or below 14th street. I would also suggest trying priceline.com. One person I know who used it got a room at Park Central hotel on Park and 56th I believe for $150 a night. If you want to look and them post links to places that seem good I am sure their are people who can help out.

Greg

Jan 08 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

le parker meridian on west 57th st.  great hotel, not cheap, but not the most expensive either.  great part of town (the park, shopping, central to east and west sides) has one of the hottest breakfast places in the city in the lobby, near impossible to get a reservation unless you are staying there.  and, though it doesn't look like you'll eat a hamburger, perhaps the best in the city at the hamburger joint, also in the lobby.  many of the great mid-priced hotels in great areas have gone the trump way of condo conversions i.e. the mayflower (central park west) and the empire (lincoln center), and even the very expensive plaza hotel!  i'm sure you'll get some better (cheaper) advise but the parker is great!  it even has old tv re-runs in b&w on monitors in the elevators.  sometimes thay have deals if you check.  saverio

Jan 08 07 12:54 pm Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

Greg Brophy wrote:
Hi,

Well most people I know that come here usually stay with a friend because it is so damn expensive. I know I have put my share of people up for the week. I actually lost a lease once for letting an entire Irish band stay at my place. It was worth it. Do you not know anyone in NY?

As for hotels, anywhere in Manhattan is pretty much safe. Most of course are around Times Square and Grand Central but are also the most expensive. If you want to go out and party some, I would suggest around or below 14th street. I would also suggest trying priceline.com. One person I know who used it got a room at Park Central hotel on Park and 56th I believe for $150 a night. If you want to look and them post links to places that seem good I am sure their are people who can help out.

Greg

thank you ill check into that

Jan 08 07 12:57 pm Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

saverio wrote:
le parker meridian on west 57th st.  great hotel, not cheap, but not the most expensive either.  great part of town (the park, shopping, central to east and west sides) has one of the hottest breakfast places in the city in the lobby, near impossible to get a reservation unless you are staying there.  and, though it doesn't look like you'll eat a hamburger, perhaps the best in the city at the hamburger joint, also in the lobby.  many of the great mid-priced hotels in great areas have gone the trump way of condo conversions i.e. the mayflower (central park west) and the empire (lincoln center), and even the very expensive plaza hotel!  i'm sure you'll get some better (cheaper) advise but the parker is great!  it even has old tv re-runs in b&w on monitors in the elevators.  sometimes thay have deals if you check.  saverio

Sounds nice! ill check into that place as well smile Thank you

Jan 08 07 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I usually stay at either the New York Hilton - Ave of the Americas? 54th st.?
Good for Broadway locations.  Between $250-$350 a night.
or
Renaissance Times Square
Older Hotel but great location.
Between $250-$300 a night.  I think the suite there was around $550 a night.

Jan 08 07 01:55 pm Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

wholly cow! Im looking for $200 night max, clean and in the city.. i have seen some on expedia, but wondered if anyone who has actually stayed in one could recommend anything. Sometimes its hard to tell from online.

Jan 08 07 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Oooops....sorry I couldnt help.

Jan 08 07 07:51 pm Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

i appreciate your advise.. im just on a cheap budget smile

Jan 08 07 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

if you USE the search function you will see several threads on this will oodles of hotels

there is a "model" hotel, "the gershwin" that specializes in rates for aspring models in NYC

"and there's plenty of room at the hotel Chili Palmer, they're livin it up at the hotel Chili Palmer" LOL

Jan 08 07 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

FYI, models on modeling trips to NYC often save money by staying in NJ at one of the many chain hotels with locations near Newark Airport.  The hotels all have regular shuttle buses to the Newark PATH train station, where you're just 10 minutes from Manhattan.  Not as convenient as being IN Manhattan, but if money's a factor, it's something to consider.

Jan 08 07 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

imagesbyMAT

Providence, Rhode Island, US

My last two times staying in NY were at the Marriott and The Westin both in Times Sq. Both were under $200p/night. Very reliable.

Jan 08 07 10:05 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
FYI, models on modeling trips to NYC often save money by staying in NJ at one of the many chain hotels with locations near Newark Airport.  The hotels all have regular shuttle buses to the Newark PATH train station, where you're just 10 minutes from Manhattan.  Not as convenient as being IN Manhattan, but if money's a factor, it's something to consider.

That's good that you mentioned that, Viv.  I've done hotel searches and found that some of the New Jersey hotels have nice low rates and are only a short train ride away.  For example, according to choicehotels.com, the Econo Lodge at Newark Intl. Airport (in Elizabeth, NJ) has a rate range of $59.95 - $69.95.  That ain't bad!  Plus it's only a few train stops from NY's Penn Station if you take the New Jersey Transit (Northeast Corridor Line).  I should probably start following my own advice and try that hotel myself, because I've been staying at the Econo Lodge in Hicksville, NY (Long Island), and it's more expensive than the one in NJ.   I've always been happy and comfortable with Econo Lodge.  smile

Jan 08 07 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Tikeya wrote:

That's good that you mentioned that, Viv.  I've done hotel searches and found that some of the New Jersey hotels have nice low rates and are only a short train ride away.  For example, according to choicehotels.com, the Econo Lodge at Newark Intl. Airport (in Elizabeth, NJ) has a rate range of $59.95 - $69.95.  That ain't bad!  Plus it's only a few train stops from NY's Penn Station if you take the New Jersey Transit (Northeast Corridor Line).  I should probably start following my own advice and try that hotel myself, because I've been staying at the Econo Lodge in Hicksville, NY (Long Island), and it's more expensive than the one in NJ.   I've always been happy and comfortable with Econo Lodge.  smile

Yeah, NJ is a money-saver.  However, some people, when planning a trip to NYC just want to stay in NYC.  They say, "New Jersey?  Ewwww!"  They don't care how much cheaper it is.  smile

Jan 08 07 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Brophy

New York, New York, US

Ummmm. lovely Newark NJ. I grew up in Elizabeth NJ. If you are looking at NJ, try Hoboken.

The Westin and Marriot are both nice places.

Jan 08 07 10:23 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Also, Rebecca, I thought I'd let you know that there are hostels in NYC.  With hostels, you share a room with a few other people and there's like maybe one bathroom on each floor.  It's definitely not as nice as having your very own hotel room with privacy and your own bathroom and TV, but you can get a room in a hostel for like $30 per night.  I've stayed in the Marrakech (formerly The Malibu) on 2688 Broadway in NYC, and it was only like $32 per night.  Also they have two computers in the lobby with Internet access (gotta pay to use it).  Also, I believe that Marrakech does have single bed rooms available for one person, but of course those have rates higher than the $32.  Whatever you decide to do, I hope that you have a great time in NY when you do go.  I always love being there.  smile

Jan 08 07 10:25 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
Yeah, NJ is a money-saver.  However, some people, when planning a trip to NYC just want to stay in NYC.  They say, "New Jersey?  Ewwww!"  They don't care how much cheaper it is.  smile

I think that Pines Motor Lodge in Westbury is gonna be my spot on future NY trips.  smile  I stayed there the last time I was in NY, and I got a jacuzzi room.  Ah...yes.  They also have rooms with waterbeds.  I love Econo Lodge, but they don't have all that.

Jan 08 07 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Matrix Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Rebecca Miller wrote:
wholly cow! Im looking for $200 night max, clean and in the city.. i have seen some on expedia, but wondered if anyone who has actually stayed in one could recommend anything. Sometimes its hard to tell from online.

Abingdon Guest House - $180/night, great character home, great people running the place, in Greenwich Village

Abingdon Guest House
21 Eighth Avenue
New York, New York 10014

Tell them "Mike the photographer from Canada" sent you. You may get a free bagel!

Jan 08 07 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Rebecca Miller wrote:
Hi,

I am starting to plan a weekend trip to NYC this spring and I was wondering where the best  hotels are. I want the usual, affordable ( $200 night max), nice, clean, good location, etc. If anyone has any good deals (or bad experiences of where to stay away from ) I would love to hear from you.

I did live in NYC back in 95 and i know what neighborhoods are bad and good, but never stayed in any hotels (   cuz i had an apt smile   )

thank you in advance!!

Use hotwire, tripadvisor, expedia. My suggestion is don't stay at anything which is rated less than 3 stars. If you are coming in on a weekend try the financial district. They are mainly business hotels and don't have much weekend volume.

The NJ suggestion is a good one. If you don't care about what is in the area, you can stay at the meadowlands, in addition to the airport or other areas. The bus is 25 minutes into the Port Authority and that is at rush hour.

The beauty is, you can stay in the city as late as you want, and pay a taxi $50, and no more, to take you out and you still save $50 to $75 a night.

Don't stay on Long Island, it will take you twice as long to get into the city.

BTW the average hotel in NYC is around $300

Jan 08 07 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

you will need to thank me for this!!  Maybe a photoshot or a drink

I stayed here between apts (also the $30 youth hostel on 116th st)

$115  and In a great location just 10 mins from the epicenter of night life the Meat Packing ditrict and 2 mins to the A,E,C Trains and walking distance to the West Village and 20 mins walking to Union SQ  VEry safe.  and the rooms are a hoot- all memorablilia of gay movie Icons.

drum roll......

www.chelseapinesinn.org

oh I just that its $190 after Mar15 oh well

Jan 09 07 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

try catching a cab back to NJ from NYC after the trains and buses have stopped running it will cost you almost the same price as the hotel in manhattan LOL

or try waiting for a train or bus back to NJ at 2:00am in the terminals, even im afraid to wait there

Jan 09 07 08:08 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rebecca Miller wrote:
Hi,

thank you in advance!!

www.carltonarms.com

Jan 09 07 08:10 am Link

Photographer

patrick/michael

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Try "On the Ave Hotel". It's on the upper West Side and a standard room is under $200 a night.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qs … 348492341&

Jan 09 07 08:18 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

patrick/michael wrote:
Try "On the Ave Hotel". It's on the upper West Side and a standard room is under $200 a night.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qs … 348492341&

Carlton Arms is cheaper...hehehe smile

Jan 09 07 08:20 am Link

Photographer

patrick/michael

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ward wrote:
Carlton Arms is cheaper...hehehe smile

But that it probably the "Canadian" exchange rate. LOL.

Jan 09 07 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Chan Photography

New York, New York, US

I stayed in Hotel Pennsylvania in '01, across from MSG for $160/night. Not sure what the prices are now, but probably higher smile

Jan 09 07 08:30 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

patrick/michael wrote:

But that it probably the "Canadian" exchange rate. LOL.

lmao smile

Jan 09 07 08:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

JQC wrote:
I stayed in Hotel Pennsylvania in '01, across from MSG for $160/night. Not sure what the prices are now, but probably higher smile

I stayed there last year the lowest rate I believe was about 169 a nite.  I would stay there again.  I was there for 2 1/2 weeks and it was a very plesant stay.

Jan 09 07 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Then there's Queens, for the brave.  smile  There are decent hotels along Queens Blvd., where flight attendants on layover stay, with rooms for under $150.  You're usually about 10 minutes or less from a subway, and the subway trip to midtown is around 15 minutes.  smile

Jan 09 07 09:16 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

NYC born and raised, lived in every borough...now in Manhattan. Its not bad at all. In fact with a little street smarts, the city is kickin all 24 hours... just do not flaunt yourself as a lost tourist.

Jan 09 07 09:23 am Link

Model

Deactivated profile 123

lotsa info! thank you all very much smile

Jan 09 07 11:50 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Rebecca Miller wrote:
Hi,

thank you in advance!!

Or you could send me a PM about this.

Save your money- stay at my apartment hun- I'm right outside the city

Jan 09 07 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

There is always The Waldorth Astoria on Park Avenue

Jan 09 07 12:02 pm Link

Model

Bryanna Nova

Milford, New Jersey, US

Hey there..

I suggest you hit hotwire.com and plug in the dates you want to go, anything 2.5 and above is actually very nice - we got into the Radison for $76 a night last spring..

Stay away from the Carter..  YIKES

Have a great trip!

Jan 09 07 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Community Photography

HOWARD BEACH, New York, US

If you don't need to be in the city I always recommend the Pan Am hotel on Queens blivd in queens only 20 min from the city

Jan 09 07 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Nick Beneduce wrote:
If you don't need to be in the city I always recommend the Pan Am hotel on Queens blivd in queens only 20 min from the city

I know it, and I also recommend it.  Out of curiosity, I just checked:  They have a room available for this Sat with 2 double beds for $85 + tax = $99.  Not bad for 20 minutes from Manhattan!  smile

Jan 09 07 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
Or you could send me a PM about this.

Save your money- stay at my apartment hun- I'm right outside the city

I'm coming out this spring, too!

ahhh, errr,ummm

never mind   smile

Jan 09 07 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Ledell

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here is a hotel I was at last October. $116.00 a night.

Hotel 31
120 E. 31st.
(Lexington & Park Ave.)

It's not fancy - it's cheap.

I found it through Hotel.com

Jan 09 07 03:54 pm Link

Model

BigC

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:

Thanks for this info, I'll need it in a week when I go, but only for a day or so.

Jan 09 07 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

I feel like my apartment is hotel room at times...  So many people just come over and crash here for a night or a week...   The longest I hosted someone was a month and a half...   So my best advice is, if you know someone in NY call them...

If not here is a list of hotels sorted by price:

http://www.hotels.com/processSearch.do? … OYear=2007

Jan 10 07 10:06 am Link