Forums > General Industry > I thought only models were flaky...

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So A photog from MM scheduled a paid shoot with me, for today for a project that he contacted me about. I need some photographers to tell me reasons why a person would agree to the rate and give me all the details, set a date, and then not even make an attempt to confirm and call?

Jan 08 07 10:52 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Did YOU attempt to comfirm and call??? Its money into *your* pocket after all.

Truth of the matter is that PEOPLE will flake. and People include both models and photographers... we are, after all, all human.

Other photographers aren't going to be able to give you reasons, just as other models can't tell photographers why other models flake. It just is.

Best you can do is mind your P's and Q's, choose who you work with wisely, and be sure that EVERYTHING on your end is taken care of.

Sorry for your poor experience, it happens to all of us. (Its happened to me only 3 times though thankfully, over a year and a half time span, with the third occuring only this past week)

Jan 08 07 10:55 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

dee740 wrote:
So A photog from MM scheduled a paid shoot with me, for today for a project that he contacted me about. I need some photographers to tell me reasons why a person would agree to the rate and give me all the details, set a date, and then not even make an attempt to confirm and call?

Every single month I book paid shoots, and plenty of them drop off the face of the earth when I try and confirm.

It's frustrating, but it happens. Make sure you take the time to confirm, and don't put it all on them. That way, when they flake (hello, this is the internet) you can say you did everything you could.

Jan 08 07 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

NC17 wrote:

Truth of the matter is that PEOPLE will flake. and People include both models and photographers... we are, after all, all human.

Other photographers aren't going to be able to give you reasons, just as other models can't tell photographers why other models flake. It just is.

Best you can do is mind your P's and Q's, choose who you work with wisely, and be sure that EVERYTHING on your end is taken care of.

Sorry for your poor experience, it happens to all of us. (Its happened to me only 3 times though thankfully, over a year and a half time span, with the third occuring only this past week)

Very good advice.

Jan 08 07 10:58 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

Sounds like he just changed his mind about paying you for the shoot.

Just curious, did he offer to pay you first, or did you give him your rates after his initial contact?

Jan 08 07 11:30 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

What I thought is strange that model thinks "only models are flaky".
Shouldn't it be the other way around wink ?

Jan 08 07 11:38 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:
What I thought is strange that model thinks "only models are flaky".
Shouldn't it be the other way around wink ?

no it shouldn't. I meant it like I stated it. :-)

Jan 08 07 11:50 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

Very good advice.

Second

Jan 08 07 11:53 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

NC17 wrote:

Yep I called on friday. we spoke and  went over the details. Then I told him that I would call him last night since it was supposed to be today. I got no answer and I left him a message. I also sent him a message here, which he read and returned no response. So it's not all on him. It's been all on me really.

Jan 08 07 11:53 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
Sounds like he just changed his mind about paying you for the shoot.

Just curious, did he offer to pay you first, or did you give him your rates after his initial contact?

I rarely just spew rates, but after initial contact I did ask him what the trade was and he gave two options. I took one and told him what the rate was for implied or artistic. He said my rate was good and he was excited about working with me and we spoken about 4 times now.

Jan 08 07 11:55 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

dee740 wrote:

I rarely just spew rates, but after initial contact I did ask him what the trade was and he gave two options. I took one and told him what the rate was for implied or artistic. He said my rate was good and he was excited about working with me and we spoken about 4 times now.

Yea, he played you. probably spent the money while partying or something, or maybe the light bill came and it was due yesterday.

Life happens, and sometimes people are afraid to say it.

Jan 08 07 12:13 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

dee740 wrote:
Yep I called on friday. we spoke and  went over the details. Then I told him that I would call him last night since it was supposed to be today. I got no answer and I left him a message. I also sent him a message here, which he read and returned no response. So it's not all on him. It's been all on me really.

Bummer then.... Chalk it up to people being people... I hope that it doesn't happen to you again, but it might. Anything can happen despite your best efforts, as is case in point here.

Jan 08 07 12:36 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Try to contact him again.  If he doesn't, send him an e-mail inquiring about what the current situation on the shoot is.

Jan 08 07 01:46 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

dee740 wrote:

One explanation could be that during the last conversation, you two came up with a TENTATIVE date, and you told him you'd call to confirm when you were certain that you'd be available on that date/time, but then you never called him back.

Either that or he really is a flake.

Jan 08 07 09:46 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

dee740 wrote:

Oh okay, I just read this, so disregard my previous post.  smile 

It sounds like you did everything right (staying in touch with him).  And it shows that he DID read your message.  Damn, a photographer on here did that to me once (read a PM I had sent asking about my pics, but he didn't care to respond), and it sucks.  Don't worry.  You'll find plenty of other photographers on here who aren't flakey.  smile

Jan 08 07 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maybe he really wants to be a model?

Just kidding flakes are not just for models only, it is winter time and it does snow.

Jan 12 07 04:11 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I had a photographer coming in from the west coast that wanted to shoot with me.
The only thing was that I had to drive to toronto.

We made set plans, and a few weeks later when shoot time came I confirmed that I would be In toronto the next day to shoot with him (this was the night before)
So the day of the shoot comes, I haven't heard from him yet....no answer on his cell. no message...so i didn't go. I contacted the MUA and told her the situation, that I wasn't going to drive to Toronto since he never responded back. Then he sent me a message and a voicemail asking ME what was up!?

Would you have driven 2 hours to a shoot that never got confirmed that day and you didn't know the exact location you were even going to be in? Probably not.

but I guess...in the end...i'm still the 'flake'.

*edit* he wasn't here just to shoot with me...

Jan 12 07 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Cristina Ashley wrote:
I had a photographer coming in from the west coast that wanted to shoot with me.

We made set plans, and a few weeks later when shoot time came I confirmed that I would be In toronto the next day to shoot with him (this was the night before)
So the day of the shoot comes, I haven't heard from him yet....no answer on his cell. no message...so i didn't go. I contacted the MUA and told her the situation, that I wasn't going to drive to Toronto since he never responded back. Then he sent me a message and a voicemail asking ME what was up!?

Would you have driven 2 hours to a shoot that never got confirmed that day and you didn't know the exact location you were even going to be in? Probably not.

Yes!!

Hello Anyone Home?

(:-------

Hj

Jan 12 07 04:22 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Hugh Jorgen wrote:

Yes!!

Hello Anyone Home?

(:-------

Hj

If I would have had a location to go to I would have driven there without a phone call...but, I wasn't going to drive to Toronto, sit in my car and await a magical phone call to guide me the right way.

Jan 12 07 04:28 am Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

San Francisco, California, US

Hmm...I sent a message to llama early last month asking for a shoot.  She got back to me last week to which I emailed back.  She then asks some other question...but I've grown tired of shooting her.  You know what?  I think I'm allowed to take the same amount of time that she took to reply to my first message before I have to reply!

Jan 12 07 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

Daniela V wrote:
Every single month I book paid shoots, and plenty of them drop off the face of the earth when I try and confirm.

It's frustrating, but it happens. Make sure you take the time to confirm, and don't put it all on them. That way, when they flake (hello, this is the internet) you can say you did everything you could.

I only dropped off because I forgot to check that you are way towards the East. smile

Jan 12 07 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

dee740 wrote:

Maybe you charged too much?

Jan 12 07 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

Cristina Ashley wrote:

*edit* he wasn't here just to shoot with me...

You're not the flake!

Jan 12 07 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

It may be a get some of 'your own medicine' type senario. The photog was burned so now he's burning you.

Not saying that you are guilty for no showing, but he may have just wanted to piss someone else off for doing it to him at some time and decided to make you the victim.

Jan 12 07 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Dandruff does not respect titles.

Jan 12 07 05:14 pm Link