Forums > General Industry > On "fishing for compliments"

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

some people got too much myspace left in them. . . i deleted a lot of people in myspace because of their post in the bulletin board asking for comments. . . they never did return the the comments as promised, of course. now, it that just a model thing or both? i see models who keep photos that has a lot of comments just for the hack of the comments. . . weird. smile

Jan 08 07 03:00 am Link

Model

Adel_K

New York, New York, US

Model

Adel_K

New York, New York, US

i think this is an internet website with all people who think they are something. i always let people know when i have new photographs i am ALWAYS happy for their critique or their opinion...lets me know if im going in the right direction.

so i post on the announcements ALL THE TIME. When i have new pics...guess what I have new pics! I'd be happy to hear your HONEST opinion.

just because i ask for your opinion or critique - doesn't mean im looking for you to compliment me

with that said, come tell me what you think lol

-km.

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nihilus wrote:
You are a little bit of an infair comparison, m'dear. smile

"infair" is not a word.
woot.
*does the safety dance*

Jan 08 07 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Envy wrote:

"infair" is not a word.
woot.
*does the safety dance*

You have caught me in a typo. Tssk, tssk. 'Cleaners' will be sent to your house within the hour.

I'm sorry it had to happen this way. *tear*

Jan 08 07 03:07 am Link

Model

BigC

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Kristina Mariah wrote:
i think this is an internet website with all people who think they are something. i always let people know when i have new photographs i am ALWAYS happy for their critique or their opinion...lets me know if im going in the right direction.

so i post on the announcements ALL THE TIME. When i have new pics...guess what I have new pics! I'd be happy to hear your HONEST opinion.

just because i ask for your opinion or critique - doesn't mean im looking for you to compliment me

-km.

Kristina, you're the bomb sweety! thanks for agreeing with me. (It's the same thing I said a page ago). One love. ;-)

Jan 08 07 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:
Ok, so we all know why we are on this website. We want to get ourselves out there, network, make money etc. and of course we want feedback on our work. But most of all, as human beings we want to know that people like us (or our work). So every time we get our avatar posted somewhere on the website we are hoping someone (hopefully many someones) will take notice of us and say something nice to us, right? Don't you think it is then redundant to make an announcement asking (or telling) people to check out your work? We are all creative people here (well, most of us) so can't we come up with a way to get people interested in looking at our profiles without actually asking them to? What I find really silly is when people say "leave a comment for me and I promise I will leave one for you" (or something like that). Well, let's say that someone tells you that they absolutely LOVE your work (or you), then you go to their profile and you think they SUCK. Now you are forced to either lie or break your promise. Let's avoid this situation by trying to be a little more creative and a little less needy (yes, I said it, sorry ahead of time to everyone that is going to offend). I promise that if your avatar is good then you will get at least one person to come visit without even asking.

Well, until you started this thread, I don't recall ever seeing your avatar so guess how many times I've viewed your portfolio in the past.

Jan 08 07 03:08 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nihilus wrote:

You have caught me in a typo. Tssk, tssk. 'Cleaners' will be sent to your house within the hour.

I'm sorry it had to happen this way. *tear*

but... but I'm doing the safety dance.

Jan 08 07 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Envy wrote:
but... but I'm doing the safety dance.

Yes, but how long can you keep it up, eh?

Jan 08 07 03:10 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

hey this thread is kinda working...good or bad...I just watched Silent Hill so I cant tell the difference yet tongue

Jan 08 07 03:12 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Nihilus wrote:

Yes, but how long can you keep it up, eh?

*eats tube of Chapstick*

What the hell are we talking about?

Jan 08 07 03:12 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Koray wrote:
hey this thread is kinda working...good or bad...I just watched Silent Hill so I cant tell the difference yet tongue

That movie was great.. until the end.

Jan 08 07 03:13 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Darqlord wrote:

Well, until you started this thread, I don't recall ever seeing your avatar so guess how many times I've viewed your portfolio in the past.

This is a choose your own comeback:
First one- OUCH, burn!! I guess we're never online and on the homepage at the same exact time.
OR
Second one- I really couldn't care less if you ever look at my portfolio. Only the cool people look at it.

Jan 08 07 03:13 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Envy wrote:

"infair" is not a word.
woot.
*does the safety dance*

LOVE the safety dance. Where can I find one of those hats??

Jan 08 07 03:15 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:

LOVE the safety dance. Where can I find one of those hats??

I'm not really sure.

I stole one from a kid who was getting off of a short yellow bus two houses down from me. Poor thing fell and started licking the ground.

Jan 08 07 03:16 am Link

Model

Adel_K

New York, New York, US

Kristina Mariah wrote:

-km.

are we done with this thread or did anyone pay attention to this? OR are we not giving opinions on this opinion because in this thread we dont like people who like opinions?

hmph. ah well.

-km.

Jan 08 07 03:18 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Envy wrote:

I'm not really sure.

I stole one from a kid who was getting off of a short yellow bus two houses down from me. Poor thing fell and started licking the ground.

LMAO!! You Rock!! I don't know who's funnier tonight, you or me?

Jan 08 07 03:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You leave me comment, Me love you LONG TIME!

Jan 08 07 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:
This is a choose your own comeback:
First one- OUCH, burn!! I guess we're never online and on the homepage at the same exact time.
OR
Second one- I really couldn't care less if you ever look at my portfolio. Only the cool people look at it.

Actually the options are:

First: We were POSSIBLY never on the homepage at the same exact time but it doesn't matter since the homepage doesn't tell you who is on unless you post ;-)

Second: The cool people DON'T look at your portfolio.

Since I wasn't trying to pick a fight, I'll let you choose the option :-) I was merely pointing out the flaw in your statement. But then again, if you want to assign me the second of YOUR options, that's fine too because the REALLY cool people don't follow trends they lead and set them.

Jan 08 07 03:19 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Kristina Mariah wrote:

are we done with this thread or did anyone pay attention to this? OR are we not giving opinions on this opinion because in this thread we dont like people who like opinions?

hmph. ah well.

-km.

right.
No, just kidding. We all like opinions we just don't want to be asked for them. I have to be in the right mood and inspired by something to give an opinion. Maybe it's cause i'm lazy, I don't know...

Jan 08 07 03:22 am Link

Model

Adel_K

New York, New York, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:

right.
No, just kidding. We all like opinions we just don't want to be asked for them. I have to be in the right mood and inspired by something to give an opinion. Maybe it's cause i'm lazy, I don't know...

well if i post on the announcements you see i ask for your opinion
(along with 100,000+ people on the site possibly on the home at the same time) 
you dont have to give your opinion if you aren't "in the mood" if my avatar intrigues you (because its one of my new photos most likely) then give your opinion. I'm not fishing for your compliment.

Jan 08 07 03:25 am Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

Face Arts wrote:
You leave me comment, Me love you LONG TIME!

big_smile

Jan 08 07 03:28 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Darqlord wrote:

Actually the options are:

First: We were POSSIBLY never on the homepage at the same exact time but it doesn't matter since the homepage doesn't tell you who is on unless you post ;-)

Second: The cool people DON'T look at your portfolio.

Since I wasn't trying to pick a fight, I'll let you choose the option :-) I was merely pointing out the flaw in your statement. But then again, if you want to assign me the second of YOUR options, that's fine too because the REALLY cool people don't follow trends they lead and set them.

Ok, I don't want to fight either because I'm a lover, not a fighter. Here's the thing, I DO post on the homepage quite often I also partake in many forum discussions and leave the odd tag on someone else's sight. I make sure to get my image out there otherwise what would be the point of being on this site.  I just refuse to ask people to come "look at me". Instead, I do it in a round about, sometimes creative, sometimes comical way. That's all I ask of others.
You are absolutely right, the cool people don't follow trends, so don't follow the "check me out" announcement trend. Be original, darling.
Oh, and please don't tell the people that look at my portfolio that they aren't cool. They're very sensitive.

Jan 08 07 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Envy wrote:
*eats tube of Chapstick*

What the hell are we talking about?

https://www.geocities.com/paradox8876/twitch.gif

Jan 08 07 03:37 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Kristina Mariah wrote:

well if i post on the announcements you see i ask for your opinion
(along with 100,000+ people on the site possibly on the home at the same time) 
you dont have to give your opinion if you aren't "in the mood" if my avatar intrigues you (because its one of my new photos most likely) then give your opinion. I'm not fishing for your compliment.

How would you feel if I left you my opinion but it wasn't a nice one? You see, generally when people ask for an "opinion" they are really asking for a compliment because if someone doesn't like something they just won't say anything UNLESS you tell them to be completely honest. You really don't see too many negative comments on peoples' sites.

Jan 08 07 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I think comments are pretty meaningless. You should always be putting up
new photos of things you're doing, so you lose previous comments anyway.
It's nice, I guess, to be told something you do is great but it shouldn't matter,
unless you have low self-esteem and need a constant ego stroke.
I've never understood the self-validation people need on this site.
Don't people know if they like what they are doing or not?
Why is it important what some stranger in Wisconsin thinks of you?
There are going to be a lot of people who think anything you do is bad as
there are going to be people who think you are good.
I had a video of me judged in the Yahoo music video Talent Show last month.
It had over 6,000 views. Only 37 people liked it. I read pages of people's
reviews telling me how awful I am. I don't care. It's not going to change
me in any way or affect what I like to do.
Comments are like polls. If you need a poll to make you feel good about
yourself, then you're in trouble.

Jan 08 07 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

If I wanted to fish for compliments, I'd start a thread about it...
smile

Jan 08 07 03:43 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

TorchGlow wrote:
If I wanted to fish for compliments, I'd start a thread about it...
smile

Excellent, that would be very creative. Wish I'd thought of that ;-)

Jan 08 07 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:
Ok, I don't want to fight either because I'm a lover, not a fighter. Here's the thing, I DO post on the homepage quite often I also partake in many forum discussions and leave the odd tag on someone else's sight. I make sure to get my image out there otherwise what would be the point of being on this site.  I just refuse to ask people to come "look at me". Instead, I do it in a round about, sometimes creative, sometimes comical way. That's all I ask of others.
You are absolutely right, the cool people don't follow trends, so don't follow the "check me out" announcement trend. Be original, darling.
Oh, and please don't tell the people that look at my portfolio that they aren't cool. They're very sensitive.

Far be it from me to tell anyone who looks at someone else's port that they aren't cool. And I don't FOLLOW the 'look at me' posts. I DO understand that by commenting on someone else's port it is likely they will comment on mine and therefore we drive traffic to one another, however I am MORE likely to leave a comment with someone who says they return comments as that person is very much aware that there are people who don't return the favor.

When I ask for comments on the photos I post I do it to drive traffic to the model's port. Every model I work with has their MM# linked to EVERY photo I post of them. Why? Because if that model experiences an increase in visits, comments and requests to work as a result of MY photographing them, guess who the model will have a glowing recommendation for when other models want an opinion on photographers the model has already shot with? That's right: ME! If the model experiences more positive exposure, guess who they won't mind shooting with again? Ding! Ding! Ding! You've just won the door prize! I guess that means I'm doing something original, doesn't it ;-)

Jan 08 07 03:49 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Class Act Photography wrote:
I think comments are pretty meaningless. You should always be putting up
new photos of things you're doing, so you lose previous comments anyway.
It's nice, I guess, to be told something you do is great but it shouldn't matter,
unless you have low self-esteem and need a constant ego stroke.
I've never understood the self-validation people need on this site.
Don't people know if they like what they are doing or not?
Why is it important what some stranger in Wisconsin thinks of you?
There are going to be a lot of people who think anything you do is bad as
there are going to be people who think you are good.
I had a video of me judged in the Yahoo music video Talent Show last month.
It had over 6,000 views. Only 37 people liked it. I read pages of people's
reviews telling me how awful I am. I don't care. It's not going to change
me in any way or affect what I like to do.
Comments are like polls. If you need a poll to make you feel good about
yourself, then you're in trouble.

Yes, but if you have a pole in your bedroom you could have lots of fun!!

Jan 08 07 03:49 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Darqlord wrote:

Far be it from me to tell anyone who looks at someone else's port that they aren't cool. And I don't FOLLOW the 'look at me' posts. I DO understand that by commenting on someone else's port it is likely they will comment on mine and therefore we drive traffic to one another, however I am MORE likely to leave a comment with someone who says they return comments as that person is very much aware that there are people who don't return the favor.

When I ask for comments on the photos I post I do it to drive traffic to the model's port. Every model I work with has their MM# linked to EVERY photo I post of them. Why? Because if that model experiences an increase in visits, comments and requests to work as a result of MY photographing them, guess who the model will have a glowing recommendation for when other models want an opinion on photographers the model has already shot with? That's right: ME! If the model experiences more positive exposure, guess who they won't mind shooting with again? Ding! Ding! Ding! You've just won the door prize! I guess that means I'm doing something original, doesn't it ;-)

Absolutely!! That's really great. It's really nice that you are helping your models out. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, then we'll all do the hokey pokey and turn ourselves around and that's what it's all aaaaabout!!
I'm silly, I know but did I make you smile, at least?

Jan 08 07 03:54 am Link

Model

Tachibana

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes. It's hella redundant.

Jan 08 07 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:
Absolutely!! That's really great. It's really nice that you are helping your models out. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, then we'll all do the hokey pokey and turn ourselves around and that's what it's all aaaaabout!!
I'm silly, I know but did I make you smile, at least?

Well…I did sneak a peak at your portfolio when I saw the title of your thread ;-)
I saw your thread as some kind of reverse psychology or Jedi mind trick. LOL!
Since you didn't ask for comments I won't tell you that I think you've got some really good shots in your port. Feel better now? :-D

Jan 08 07 04:03 am Link

Model

Adel_K

New York, New York, US

Samantha Morgan wrote:

How would you feel if I left you my opinion but it wasn't a nice one? You see, generally when people ask for an "opinion" they are really asking for a compliment because if someone doesn't like something they just won't say anything UNLESS you tell them to be completely honest. You really don't see too many negative comments on peoples' sites.

i'd love it if you hated one my photos, honesty...therefore when i walk into the go-see if 10-20 people told me they hated that photo i had better...i wouldn't laughed out of the designers workshop. i'd like it. i guess i am not general.

Jan 08 07 04:04 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Darqlord wrote:

Well…I did sneak a peak at your portfolio when I saw the title of your thread ;-)
I saw your thread as some kind of reverse psychology or Jedi mind trick. LOL!
Since you didn't ask for comments I won't tell you that I think you've got some really good shots in your port. Feel better now? :-D

*smile* feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.
Btw, I forgot to mention, not only did I study the art of reverse psychology but I am also a Jedi master, I mean mistress. Luv Ya!

Jan 08 07 04:10 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

Kristina Mariah wrote:

i'd love it if you hated one my photos, honesty...therefore when i walk into the go-see if 10-20 people told me they hated that photo i had better...i wouldn't laughed out of the designers workshop. i'd like it. i guess i am not general.

Ok, you coaxed me Kristina. I am going to check your port out and give you my absolutely honest opinion. DUM, DA, DUM, DUM, DAAAAAA

Jan 08 07 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

I laugh at these people, it is funny seeing it every day!

Jan 08 07 04:13 am Link

Model

Sassy Shelli

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
I laugh at these people, it is funny seeing it every day!

Isn't it? Even if I love the avatar, I refuse to look. Just can't do it. But say something funny and I'm there in a second.

Jan 08 07 04:15 am Link

Model

JamesD

New York, New York, US

EXACTLY!!!! You have to post or you will simply get swallowed up in the mass of ppl here. Is the guy or girl that goes to the mall or to the club well dressed a "show-off". Not entirely. Possibly he/she is simply trying to stand out from the crowd. Similarly how can a person stand out from the crowd without making the effort to be known. Honestly, being a member of MM doesnt mean ppl will see your page. When i dont login and post in a month, well i dont have much of anything new...but then again thats just me...

James B. Elite

Jan 08 07 04:20 am Link

Model

Tachibana

Los Angeles, California, US

JamesD wrote:

EXACTLY!!!! You have to post or you will simply get swallowed up in the mass of ppl here. Is the guy or girl that goes to the mall or to the club well dressed a "show-off". Not entirely. Possibly he/she is simply trying to stand out from the crowd. Similarly how can a person stand out from the crowd without making the effort to be known. Honestly, being a member of MM doesnt mean ppl will see your page. When i dont login and post in a month, well i dont have much of anything new...but then again thats just me...

James B. Elite

You don't have to post "LOOK AT ME" "VOTE FOR ME" "LEAVE ME A COMMENT AND I'LL LEAVE YOU ONE"

It just gets annoying.. and makes me NOT want to look even more.  But if something witty, or drawing, or relevant or even NOTHING is mentioned, I'll be more likely to be drawn to the port.

Jan 08 07 04:27 am Link