Forums > General Industry > MUA's - What are your favorite Eyeshadows

Makeup Artist

Robin Hansberry

Cheverly, Maryland, US

To all the MUA's in the house - please share.  What are your favorite eyeshadows on the market today.  If you want BOLD, VIBRANT color, what do you use?  Please share!  I have some Ben Nye Colors that I like but looking to expand my case - any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Sep 09 05 11:24 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

someone needs to reply because i would like to know too! smile

Sep 10 05 08:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Los Angeles, California, US

MAC eyeshadow still are the best.  The palettes are amazing for your kit!

I used everything there is (almost).  I don't use MAC everything, the payoff of their colors...wow!  Also, if you can purchase their "pigments" that is their most intense color.

tip:  try a little concealer or a light cream as a base for the eye first, then the shadow. STIPLE, don't swipe the brush and you'll pack on the color.

Good luck.

Sep 10 05 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
someone needs to reply because i would like to know too! smile

I would like to know also ^_^

I'd also like to know about foundations/concealers.

Sep 10 05 10:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

For eyeshadows I personally like and often use...

Christian Dior
Chanel
Tarte
Shu Uemura
Shiseido
Stila
Make Up Forever
Bourjois
NARS
Laura Mercier (cream shadows)
TiGi Bed Head

If you do your research you'll find that a lot of these lines offer pro discounts with agency letter head, union card, and sometimes call sheets.  As well as offering very generous gratis if you do the right type of work.

Sep 10 05 01:36 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Stargazer and Ben Nye remain my favorites.

Sep 10 05 02:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sid

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MAKE-UP FOREVER, MOD COSMETICS, SHU AND OFCOURSE MAC. ALL COLORS, MILLED JUST RIGHT FOR THE BESY IMPACT, DEEP OR SOFT BLENDED OR CONTOURED.

Sep 11 05 04:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Robin Hansberry

Cheverly, Maryland, US

Thanks Everyone!  I'm going to try MAC Pigments as eyeshadows - I have some of those in my kit already.  I'll also look into the other suggestions. Thanks for everyone who took the time to reply.  I know alot of the companies offer discounts. I need to just put my request in. Thanks again everyone!  If anyone else wants reply please go right ahead.

Sep 12 05 08:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

eZar

Anaheim, California, US

Another option is Twylah Bleu...granted it is my own line of color cosmetics, but it does fit the criteria you're looking for -- end plug.

Sep 13 05 02:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Natalie Pyatt Turner

Spring Valley, California, US

I have so many Fav's MAC and Nars are my pic for brands for now. It's not easy really having a fav tho I love them all smile

Sep 25 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Chanel eyeshadows FTW. Great depth, intensity and sheen.

Sep 25 05 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

envymi

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

I love Chanel for personal use, but the shadows are a bitt too subtle for me to use for work...I love Shu Uemura shadows...for less expensive brands, I love NYX...and MOD Cosmetics has this 88 color palette that I recently bought and I love the convenience of having that many colors without having to carry a huge bulk, plus their colors have pretty good pigment and they do last.
As far as foundations...it depends on what you're looking for...I don't have one brand I favor, it just depends...but for work I mostly use RCMA

Sep 29 05 03:21 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

I sometimes have to do my own makeup for shoots and I live and die by MAC, though I've found ULTA's store brand to produce some great results lately too.

Sep 30 05 03:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I don't like the way MAC wears at all but I love the cream shadows at Illuminarecosmetics.com  limited colors but if you are into browns you wont find an easier shadow to work with.

I like them so much I am going to inquire about selling them in my online makeup store.

Oct 02 05 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

I love Nars, Makeup Forever, Shu Uemura, Ben Nye, and Mac.

Oct 04 05 05:54 am Link

Model

orias

Tampa, Florida, US

my favorite is Kryolan.  unfortunately you cant buy from them directly, but theyre on ebay. and ive stocked up on a butt load when i knew someone who worked for them lol.   its theatrical makeup at its best!! gorgeous!,  a little goes a long way, and the color goes on exactly how the color looks.  no silver looking and going on grey like most brands.  it will look like you have aluminum foil on your face smile

also mac obviously,  but any good natural pigment makeup is a must. 

stargazer, i agree, awesome colors there too. 

also just a simple brand ive fell in love with is called Prestige.  you can find them in like walgreens and drug stores.   great great inexpensive items. 

a general rule of thumb i use when looking for good makeup brands,  is if they have the brightest unusual or completely primary colors.  this means theyre not focusing on trends and popular selections.   all of the makeup brands i listed have all the extreme colors but obviously have anything normal as well. 

as for other brands i love,  i love tony and tina but theyre gone sad
and i love urban decay.  im a big supporter of them because they dont test on animals.  also their "liquid metal eyes in xenon"  has gotta be my favorite eyeshadow on the planet!!!!!

Jan 22 06 11:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I love Make-up Forever their pigments are fantastic and they last forever on the skin, I am in love with my BenNye shimmer pallets the colours are bright and blend so nicely , I also like NARS ,but not all of the colours.
Hope that helps smile

Jan 22 06 12:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

I love Makeup Forever Professional Star Powder.  They are very metallic and bold.  I also like some stuff from Ricky's like Mattese (also very bold).  Ricky's also has a new eye shadow palette that contains 88 colors for $40.  Can't go wrong there, you have both Matte and Shimmery colors.  Oh and Benefit has some nice Shimmer Powders as well.  Hope that helps!

Yisell

Jan 22 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fuzzytek - Stephen

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thanks for the wonderful discussion. I grew a bit frustrated not having makeup available as quick and easy as myself, so I have dabbled a little - bought a few MAC shadows and pigments in metallics.

One look I've seen in a few photos is a chalky glow of intense yellow smudged out on the edges. I'm curious what brands are known for that look. Wish I had the photo link to offer as an example of what I'm talking about.  It would go great with colored feathers on the eyelashes.

Jan 22 06 01:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Dior....they are $50 a pop and there pigments are wonderful! I think better than MAC! But even with my discount they are still too expensive!

Jan 22 06 01:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
For eyeshadows I personally like and often use...

Christian Dior
Chanel
Tarte
Shu Uemura
Shiseido
Stila
Make Up Forever
Bourjois
NARS
Laura Mercier (cream shadows)
TiGi Bed Head

If you do your research you'll find that a lot of these lines offer pro discounts with agency letter head, union card, and sometimes call sheets.  As well as offering very generous gratis if you do the right type of work.

Do they also offer you a discount at these lines if you have a Cosmotology licnese or esthetician license?
I know MAC Does but I am not sure about Dior and I am Counter manager for them but then again...my floor manager and account executive never tell me anything! LOL
Thats the Coperate World for YA!

Jan 22 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

If you want bold and vibrant...
Trucco is the bomb.
They have one of the last true blacks out there and, it goes on smoothe and heavy without looking too globby.

Jan 22 06 01:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

KRYOLAN
BEN NYE
MAC PIGMENTS
MILANI
URBAN DECAY
CARGO (BUILDABLE)
MAKE-UP FOREVER

THESE ARE WHAT I USE, AND I LIKE SOME IMPACTFULL STUFF...

Jan 22 06 06:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I like Ben Nye, MAC pigments, and Nars (shout out to the Rated R duo...my two fave Nars colors).

Jan 22 06 06:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

I love Rated R Faith!!  When that came out I thought, that's it, I have every color I would ever need! lol  That lasted about a day...
Anyhooters, I love Ben Nye, Kryolan and my OLD MAC shadows are my faves for rich, intense color.  I could take or leave the pigments from MAC.  I have so many, but find myself reaching for them less and less.

Jan 23 06 02:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JENN LEE

PUTNAM VALLEY, New York, US

ok obvil\ously MAc and Nars---but lets talk drugstore----

one word

MILANI. really.

and for creams...ther REVLON CREME palettes are fab
( they do crease w/ no powder though. the colors are beautiful and i do use these constantly.)

Jan 24 06 08:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Pazza_x_Trucco wrote:

I would like to know also ^_^

I'd also like to know about foundations/concealers.

I have used and still use

Laura Mercier will run you $40 cream foundation
Il-Makiage will run you $21 liquid foundation
Mary Kay will run you $14 cream foundation
ELF will run you $1 powder foundation

I have been happy with the results from all of them, some more than others but they got the job done

Jan 24 06 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

JENN LEE wrote:
ok obvil\ously MAc and Nars---but lets talk drugstore----

one word

MILANI. really.

and for creams...ther REVLON CREME palettes are fab
( they do crease w/ no powder though. the colors are beautiful and i do use these constantly.)

drug store... Wet and Wild creme shadows, for the fun projects

Jan 24 06 09:05 am Link