Forums > General Industry > Marketing Suggestions?

Model

Jami Lea

Los Angeles, California, US

This may sound dumb, but since I'm new, I'll shoot for it.  How does a new model market herself?  I mean, I've done a total of 6 photoshoots and one photographer wants to do a series with me which is awesome b/c those are the pictures I have gotten the most comments on.  I already got offered one paying gig, but the guy ended up disappearing, profile and all so that was kind of discouraging.  Being discouraged easily is something that I am working on, but having a natural positive outlook on things really balances me out.  I believe that I am naturally good at posing.  My only problem is, I have a nervous habit of laughing too much for lack of confidence at a shoot.  This usually cuts me off from what could be a really great picture.  I am super super eager to make this work for myself.  At first, I didn't know if I should give it a try because I wasn't sure if I would like this sort of industry.  When I went to my first shoot, I had such a blast.  I felt like I was high on life.  My brain was on vacation all day.  That in itself was amazing.  Everyone was so cool, down to earth and funny.  I was surprised to experience how much work I actually had to put in it, but it was so worth it.  I've been on craigslist day and night answering ads for modeling gigs in between going to school to get my EMT license.  I have 3 shoots booked this week, all with MUA, stylist and wardrobe provided for high end fashion, but they are all tfcd.  Hummmm.  What else should I do?  I've heard others talk of signing with agencies, but how do I know which ones are good?  Thanks for all the advice in advance and I hope everyone is having a kick butt New Year!

xoxo
Jami Lea

Jan 07 07 03:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Riannan the Artist

Punta Gorda, Florida, US

The best thing I can tell you is always have something to give to people that you could meet at photo shoots, traveling, on the bus, waiting in line, etc.  For example:  business card or composite card.  On composite cards you can have examples of different looks and how well you photograph. It will cost a bit to get them done, but well worth it when you can hand it to people.  The fact that it is pictures, a thicker material, etc. will make it less likely that people will just toss it out.  Chances are they could file it, have it on hand, and call you whenever they need you. (they meaning... photographers, makeup artists, stylists, agencies, clients, etc.)
Also, having a business card with telephone and email and maybe a small picture on there as well would be a plus.  People will put it in their wallet.  That would be a good start.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're putting yourself out there, and that's definitely a start.  Good luck smile

Jan 07 07 03:37 am Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

I believe you have the right idea, for now.  By your own admission, you are completely new to this, and don't really know which direction to head.  My suggestion to you would be to keep shooting TFCD for a while.  Not so much to improve your portfolio (but I would suggest you have only one (1) and no more than two (2) images of the same "look" at any one time) but more to get the expierence under your belt.  This will stop the nervous laughter and show you that you definately know instinctivly how to pose.

Then the difficult part begins...  If you want to make a career out of this, get an agency.  Can you do it without one?  Sure, it can be done, but you wind-up staying up all night everynight "answering ads on craigslist."  Or, you could have your agency "doing it for you."  (Not that your agency would be answering ads on craigslist....!)

That's just the way I look at it, though.  There are pleny of models here and OMP and other places that do it without an agency, too.  But all the successful ones have excellent books and pleny of expierence.

-Major

Jan 07 07 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Hi Jami,  Questions are only dumb, if you don't ask.  (At least that is what my dad told me, and he was a school teacher!)

When it comes to marketing, posting here is a good place to start.  Keep searching here for other posts and add to this when you can.  The more you post, the more people will notice you.  I noticed you, and maybe I wouldn't have if not for your post.  I am just one of many tens of thousands of photographers online with profiles on sites like this. 

By watching for gigs, you are already doing some things right.  Don't ever give up! Just because your first potential "paid" session fell through, don't take it personally.  You will get a paid gig, even if I have to travel to LA to make that come true!  You are working with Michael of Dreamcastle? ... and he is awesome! I like his glamour lighting and his sharp work with photoshopping images.  I have a feeling you'll get that paid session before I get down to LA! 

So you are enjoying this activity called modeling!  That's a huge thing in itself!  I notice you are "an artist" so do allow yourself to expand beyond being in front of the camera.  Try learning all you can by trying your hand at shooting pictures, applying make up, and any other aspect of "art" that can be related to making images.  You will go farther and last longer in this industry by being versatile. 

You are a dancer, so you are going to have mad skills at posing.  Don't worry about the laughter, you'll settle in after some more experience.  Being on multiple sites with a profile is good too.  I will write you a message to expand on this ... wink

About agencies in California, the California State Labor Board licence's all agencies that operate in this State.  The direct link to their List of Talent Agencies You are certainly tall enough for the traditional fashion side of modeling.  At age 22 years, you are getting a late start in the traditional sense ... but I'm not working in that area, so maybe some other models or photographers have some more ideas besides checking to be sure an "agency" is licensed and legit before signing. 

Best wishes you!

Jan 07 07 04:53 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

post only great pictures on your online portfolio and pass out a shit load of business cards.  also, believe it or not, myspace is a great advertising tool.

Jan 07 07 06:25 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Taking into account that you're relatively new the first thing I'd advise you is to find out EXACTLY what direction you are heading.

"No nude or implied nude" and on your port you have an "implied nude." Confusing to say the least. Only reason I bring it up is that I've noticed the models who are not "high fashion" material all seem to make a pretty good living at shooting nudes or "implied nudes."

I think the reason for that is there are large masses of camera owners out there who will pay good money just to see a naked women.

Now if you want to persue a "high fashion" career check out some truly high fashion photographers and see just how far off the mark you are and adjust accordingly.

http://www.marinoparisotto.com/
http://www.thierrylegoues.com/
http://www.torkilgudnason.com/

Jan 07 07 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Generally I disagree with advice to shoot TFPs before going to an agency.  The agency won't need the pictures from TFPs, and they rarely help models get accepted.  Sometimes (not infrequently) they hurt.

However, in this case doing some TFP shooting may be a good idea, until you get the nervousness under control.  Then throw away all the pictures and go to some open calls.  You have a good chance of being accepted by a decent agency.

Jan 07 07 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/dlselr/Talag.html 
(415) 703-5070

Office of the Director
455 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco CA 94102

Jan 08 07 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Generally I disagree with advice to shoot TFPs before going to an agency.  The agency won't need the pictures from TFPs, and they rarely help models get accepted.  Sometimes (not infrequently) they hurt.

However, in this case doing some TFP shooting may be a good idea, until you get the nervousness under control.  Then throw away all the pictures and go to some open calls.  You have a good chance of being accepted by a decent agency.

This is what I was trying to say.  Don't take your portfolio into any agency with any image in it they did not ask you to bring.  The only reason I said to keep your portfolio updated with different looks and only a few from your various TFP/CD shoots would be to get more TFP/CD "jobs."

Only shoot the TFP until you are quite comfortable infront of the camera (or you find someone that you would really like to work with, but only do that for yourself/the photographer, not your portfolio).  Then, as suggested before, make your way to some open calls at some of the agencies licensed but the State of California.

-Major

Jan 08 07 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jason P Hunt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

One other suggestion I would add is to start working up e-mail distribution lists, one for friends, one for business contacts and people you don't know very well yet. Use those lists as a way to make announcements and inquiries about work. Don't abuse it, but it could prove helpful in networking. Sometimes it's not who you know, it's who they know. I had good success with this in getting people to vote for my short film, and now I'm a finalist at the SciFi Channel.

Business cards, definitely. If you can afford glossy, get them. Print two photos on the back as a mini-comp. All sorts of contact info on the front, and make sure it's all current.

You could also contact the local TV stations, see if they need people for commercials. It's experience in front of a camera, which will help. And it's usually fast-paced, which means you won't have time to get the giggles.

Some radio stations have their own girls for promotional gigs as well. I'd send photos to the promotions managers, especially at the rock stations. There's a lot of turnover in radio, so make sure you have the right name of the current promotions manager.

JPH

Jan 09 07 10:44 am Link