Forums > General Industry > myspace allows 300 pix......what about the others?

Model

Sexiest Carly

Los Angeles, California, US

How do you think this will affect the already declining view of OMP? And what about our die hard favorite- ModelMayhem?!

I've noticed major motion pictures and what nots using myspace addresses. poor web developers!

Jan 05 07 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

carlyerin wrote:
How do you think this will affect the already declining view of OMP? And what about our die hard favorite- ModelMayhem?!

I've noticed major motion pictures and what nots using myspace addresses. poor web developers!

There is nothing poor about myspace these days they are butt rich. Poor web developers? The beauty of myspace is people do their pages themselves. Its a no hassle setup and pretty damn ingenious if you ask me. Myspace and Model Mayhem have been a great networking tool for me but ofcourse they are very different. I think its awesome they are allowing 300 images per person now and soon you will have the ability to put them into categories and folders. You can thank all the movies that are buying into myspace for that. Unless MM starts selling to major labels or something I dont seem them allowing that much hosting for nothing. The truth of the matter is all these sites should just be a stepping stone for someone to go and see your website. Thats where your true port should be.

Jan 05 07 11:30 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Unless they bring on stacks of advertising I dont see how they can do it. Would you pay for a MM account that had 300 slots? (just asking)

Jan 05 07 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sheesh... guess I'd better beef up my myspace account!

Rich

Jan 05 07 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

F OMP who cares why pay when its free hehehehehe!!!

Jan 05 07 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

I'd use Myspace more if it weren't so friggin' slow!

Jan 05 07 11:43 am Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

I can still only put a fraction of my pictures on there since theres still that pesky no boobies rule.

Jan 05 07 11:46 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Who really needs/wants to post 300 pictures, anyway? Seems like overkill to me. Besides that you have that pesky problem with people stealing your pictures there all the time...

Jan 05 07 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Hottraxxs

San Diego, California, US

get ready for a small fee for myspace, plus they are about to start selling music and movie downloads. remember they are now owned by Fox.

Jan 05 07 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Meech Creative LLC

Frederick, Maryland, US

Warner Bros. also contributed something in order for it to be possible.

Jan 05 07 11:56 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

MySpace is popular with professional organizations only as a linkbaiting opporutunity. You go with what is popular, so as to seem "hip." Any group or individual will still have their own unique web presence, customised to their needs.
OMP is a professional referral service, and in spite of the poor press is still one of the best methods of getting photographers and models together, especially those outside of the major centres.
I have portfolios on no fewer than seven different portfolio sites, so as to maximise my exposure, and attract as many new faces as I can.
Mayhem, while fun, is entirely unreliable, and spends more time in crash mode than any site I have ever seen. I no longer rely on the messaging here, but direct models to contact me via email. It only took one blown shoot, because of Tyler's server issues, to convince me that I could not count on it.
I like the vibe here, and enjoy networking with other players in the industry, but I would never direct clients to my MM portfolio.
They might look at the forums... ;o)

In short: Don't rely on a single source of personal promotion. The web is a big place. Spread yourself around.
Show only your best work, and if you can't do that in 20 images, re-think your approach.

Jan 05 07 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

That's why I have several of my own websites. smile
And I link to them from my MM captions so if someone wants to see more of a model they can.

I would pay for more slots here but I understand they have a billing company issue.

So far I have 80+ photos up on myspace! smile Until they change their mind!

Jan 05 07 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

COLONIAL PHOTO

Calhoun, Georgia, US

300 is a bit of overkill, but Id settle for 40 here. 20 just isnt enough to showcase your skills or allow much updating. Plus it breaks down more than my old Corvair, but I still like this site more than the others. More communication and comments it seems, more good advice. I just wish they could rig a few more shots. Model place just up and "lost" my port there, so I abandoned it. And I cant even use the favs feaure right now. I did add 50 more shots to myspace site

Jan 05 07 12:15 pm Link

Model

Vicious Vamp

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I used to be on myspace, but they deleted my profile and blocked my email address. I have no idea why they deleted it because nothing was ever said to me. I just tried to log in one day and couldn't so I tried making a new profile and it wouldn't let me. Not surprisingly, I had no photos that violated their TOS on my profile, I made sure of that whenever I uploaded a new one.  They are just way too commercial now and I for one am boycotting myspace, but that is just me.

Jan 05 07 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

myspace is a good source for work...way better than model mayhem. so far, most of my paid shoots have originated at myspace. I don't care much about the amount of pictures  they offer- like somebody said, myspace should only be a link to your website....that's how I see it atleast.

Jan 05 07 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

300?!!?!??!!?! when did that happen?? dang... was i asleep??

Jan 05 07 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen MS

Long Beach, California, US

Lora wrote:
Who really needs/wants to post 300 pictures, anyway? Seems like overkill to me. Besides that you have that pesky problem with people stealing your pictures there all the time...

That's why you put your name on it, somewhere if they crop it looks horrible. Like my name I put it in the middle of the photograph and make it transparent so it doesn't kill the picture.

Jan 05 07 03:25 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mort Amor Photography wrote:

That's why you put your name on it, somewhere if they crop it looks horrible. Like my name I put it in the middle of the photograph and make it transparent so it doesn't kill the picture.

And, as a model, it wouldn't make my photographers upset that I did that?

Jan 05 07 03:37 pm Link

Model

Sexiest Carly

Hottraxxs wrote:
get ready for a small fee for myspace, plus they are about to start selling music and movie downloads. remember they are now owned by Fox.

yeah but fox has owned it for a number of months.

with the sponsorship they get from everywhere, plus advertising fees there's no reason to charge.

Jan 05 07 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen MS

Long Beach, California, US

Lora wrote:

And, as a model, it wouldn't make my photographers upset that I did that?

It might, but as long as the photographers name is still on it. But if I modeled and fear of people stealing it on Myspace, I'd put my name not huge like the photographers, but have it underneath their name with your URL name. Or like I do with my personal Myspace. It's private and only my friend's can add me.

Jan 05 07 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Lora wrote:

I'm with Lora.  You should be able to get your point across with far fewer images than 300.  Use your website to show it all.

(I rarely have either the interest or the patience to go beyond the first page of images on MM.)

Jan 05 07 08:13 pm Link