Forums > General Industry > why do you add people?

Photographer

pai

San Diego, California, US

I add people when I feel like their work has inspired me.
but I've been having so many random adds..I feel like its a myspace thing.

Jan 04 07 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Chrystina Benish

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

ditto

Jan 04 07 06:07 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I usually just let people add me. I accept friends, people with whom I've worked, and people whose work I greatly admire.

Jan 04 07 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

I add people when I enjoy their work so that I can go back and see their new work and possibly work with that person.  I don't go around wondering why people add me, or if they appreciate me adding them or if they think I'm weird or nice or how MM is or isn't like some other site that I don't care about.

Jan 04 07 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I accept anyone, then every week or so, starting at the oldest delete fifty that I've never talked to and have no interest in meeting (or shooting).

Jan 04 07 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Makes it easier to keep up with them than writing their MM# on the back of an envelope, although I do wish they'd call it something other than "friends."

Jan 04 07 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

If it's somebody I'd like to work with or whose work I admire, other times, I wonder why they're adding me.

Jan 04 07 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

I add people that have taken the time to communicate with me.  I don't add unsolicited friend requests, unless that person takes the time to reply to an email I sent to them.

Jan 04 07 07:30 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I add people because I like their work. Usually, I drop a message or tag, and if they like my look, maybe they'll ask to work with me.

Jan 04 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

i add people i have contact with on the site so i can find them easier later, and friends,
and people whose work i like, but i do it for reference a lot as well.

Jan 04 07 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Due to the limitations of the FRIENDS system, I add models who I'd like to work with or want to keep an eye on (to see how the progress) that are in my area (usually NYC and NJ and some parts of CT). I'd like to have a folder to separate them into workable groups (either by city, or types of modeling they do) but that doesn't look like it will ever be implemented. I'll add an exceptionally beautiful model that I may come across either in the forums or the Random function on the MAIN page regardless of where they're located, occasionally.

Jan 04 07 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

From my profile:

"I am happy to befriend you if we have worked together, or if you live or travel to my area (or me to yours), or if I find your portfolio very interesting. I remove flakes and no-shows."

I just went through and deleted a bunch of models who don't answer emails or who live too far away to consider working with. Felt good, like cleaning up an old desk drawer. Sent each one a little note, only two responded back (both with regrets that they are too busy, car sucks, etc.), so I think I chose wisely.

For photographers, pretty much the same rule: local people whose work or forum posts I like, and ferners (those outside of Texas) who have incredible portfolios.

I agree that folders would be cool, but now I just use Mail, Address Book, and Google Calendar to organize my contacts.

Jan 05 07 12:32 am Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

I add people when I'm hungry.

And sometimes when they send me a PM I'll add them if they haven't already added me smile

Jan 05 07 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Rick Jolly

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

it's how you play the game...

Jan 05 07 12:35 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

i randomly add people that i enjoy their work or vice versa.

Jan 05 07 12:39 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I accept anyone, then every week or so, starting at the oldest delete fifty that I've never talked to and have no interest in meeting (or shooting).

i'd do that, but I don't have the time. I look at everyones port first. If they are so bad I wouldn't let them pay me to shoot me, I don't add em. Otherwise, as a model, it is good to add anyone who looks like they might pay me as well as people I really respect. But I am sure my friends list could use some weeding. Let's see....D. Brian Nelson....wink

Jan 05 07 12:40 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

And I am actually more picky on myspace. Who knew I knew 244 people....

Jan 05 07 12:40 am Link

Model

0Lexi0

I add people in my area, so that even if their work isn't so hot now it may grow. I also add people from all over that I love.

Jan 05 07 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

If it's someones work that I like, but there isnt any intention of working together...I add them to my favorites list.
If it's someone that I've communicated or worked with I add them to the friends list.
exception:  I will usually add a new member for a short time just to make them feel welcome to MM.

Jan 05 07 12:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

I add everyone on here. Those with inspirational work, are added to my favorites list, so I can separate the two. I keep up with my favorites list not my friends list.

Side Note: For my space, since it's only for networking purposes and people that I actually know. I deny most requests: When their pages are private, or when then want to add without introducing themselves, or don't have anything to do with modeling or the other stuff I stated on there etc... But I do delete people as I go too. Not looking for numbers, just a good network of people...

Oh well

::chuckles:: Brownie time and off to deleting people!

Jan 05 07 01:59 am Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Caspers Creations wrote:
exception:  I will usually add a new member for a short time just to make them feel welcome to MM.

yikes
How deceitful of you! wink

Jan 05 07 02:00 am Link

Model

Michael Fulton

its called networking

smile

Jan 05 07 02:01 am Link

Photographer

SensualArt

Aldershot, England, United Kingdom

Daniel Woolfolk wrote:
I add people when I enjoy their work so that I can go back and see their new work and possibly work with that person.

Surely that's what "Favourites" are for, rather than "Friends"?

Jan 05 07 02:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

RickMartin wrote:

Yeah I thought so too ::Chuckles::

Jan 05 07 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

I add anyone who asks.  If it's someone I really am interested in - I'll ask them for a friend request and/or put them in my favorites folder.

Jan 05 07 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

To network.

Jan 05 07 03:41 am Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

RickMartin wrote:

when there are specific people whos style I like and know I can learn from, then I usually put them in favorites.  If its someone whose work I wanna see again but probably wont remember it that much, then I'll send a friend request and then I'll go back from time to time to see if they have anything interesting up....if they deny it, i don't really notice, but if its someone I really wanna learn from i'll put them in favorites, I dont wanna have to go through a bunch of people to get to what I wanna see.  If there was another way to group peope I would use it.

Jan 05 07 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I found adding very small pebbles didn't get me very far.
Well, either has adding people.

Jan 05 07 03:49 am Link

Model

Nicolas E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

pai wrote:
I add people when I feel like their work has inspired me.
but I've been having so many random adds..I feel like its a myspace thing.

YEP! I dont get it really...

Jan 05 07 03:52 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

Because they put in a request. Imagine if nobody put in a friend request, it would be a testament that you suck.

Jan 05 07 08:01 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I add everyone. Then people can look and think I really have friends. smile

Jan 05 07 08:04 am Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
Because they put in a request. Imagine if nobody put in a friend request, it would be a testament that you suck.

Everyone needs a testament.

Jan 05 07 08:17 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I wont add anyone unless we have had some kind of conversation, and I would'nt request it unless I left comments on their work & really like it.

Jan 05 07 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Meech Creative LLC

Frederick, Maryland, US

I only have 2 friends sad

Jan 05 07 11:41 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

e-string wrote:
I usually just let people add me. I accept friends, people with whom I've worked, and people whose work I greatly admire.

That, and people I want to work with.

Jan 05 07 11:43 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

I think I have more than 100 friend requests

I don't think I want to open the page

Because... it would torture me slowly and painfully...

It is not fun

Jan 05 07 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

My friend's list is a wish list. Besides a few photographer friends, it's
all people I'd love to photograph or video.

Jan 05 07 11:53 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

My favorites far outweigh my friends... Friends always want to borrow money anyway

Jan 05 07 11:57 am Link

Model

Chanell Lindy

Winter Garden, Florida, US

because you never know who will find you through a "friend", of a friend, of a friend friend, a friend friend friend....

Jan 05 07 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Mr-Photographer

Austin, Texas, US

i add people in my area/market and people that inspire me or that i feel i can learn from.

Jan 05 07 11:59 am Link