Forums > General Industry > "These undies don't work."

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I gave a model a bra and panty set to put on.  Two minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said, "These undies don't work."  I didn't know what she meant, and I didn't ask.  I gave her another pair, which she wore for the shots.

I'm someone who believes in good communcation between photog and model, but I was afraid to ask what was the matter with the first pair.  I thought it might be something, um, female and, um, intimate, and I didn't need to have the conversation.  The undies were gauzy see-through in the back (not in the front), but she had worn such a pair before in another shoot.  So, I never found out.

Should I have asked?  Would you have?

Jan 04 07 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Meech Creative LLC

Frederick, Maryland, US

If you're comfortable with the model, I wouldn't see a problem in asking...that way you can help rectify the problem. ie; size, comfort, how she thought they looked on her, etc.

Jan 04 07 02:07 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Perhaps she didn't like how it looked on her, or it was unflattering to her shape.  Maybe it was too small and created a fold of skin that she disliked.  It could have been a few things.

Jan 04 07 02:08 pm Link

Model

alarana

Houston, Alaska, US

Just ask.  If it's something that intimate she can't share, she won't answer...

Jan 04 07 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Perhaps you weren't forceful enough. Next time try it like Arnold with a french/italian accent-

"Now lie on your back and put those panties on. Do it dolcissimo. Do it, slowly..."

Don't be surprized if she whacks you upside the head with an antique telephone. Damn, you wouldn't believe how long it took me to come up with the word 'dolcissimo'.

Jan 04 07 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Just trust her judgment in the way clothes fit her...

communication is great but you may not need to know as you said intiment womenly details...

Jan 04 07 02:41 pm Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

oops, double post...

Jan 04 07 02:48 pm Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

Maybe she was unsure of how they were inteded to function big_smile

Jan 04 07 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Never be afraid to ask!  wink

Jan 04 07 04:36 pm Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

There needs to be open communication between a model and photographer

Jan 04 07 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Jesus, are we that afraid of labia? They are primarily the only outside difference in that area. You got way more junk down there than she does. They have more 'internal' junk than we do. See? Isn't that clear now?

Jan 04 07 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

reminds me the photographer who had to actually say" Oh no hon, its a g string, you have it on backwards, thats why"
LOL

Jan 04 07 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Primal Lens wrote:
reminds me the photographer who had to actually say" Oh no hon, its a g string, you have it on backwards, thats why"
LOL

Yikes.

Jan 04 07 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Should have asked.

There were times during the middle of the shoot, when I reviewed the pictures and decided the light set up didn't work and proceeded to do a new set up. Although none of the models asked me exactly what wasn't working, I would have done my best in explaning to them.

Jan 04 07 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
I gave a model a bra and panty set to put on.  Two minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said, "These undies don't work."

than couldn't you have told her to go without? smile

Jan 04 07 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

Brendan Barry wrote:
Jesus, are we that afraid of labia? They are primarily the only outside difference in that area. You got way more junk down there than she does. They have more 'internal' junk than we do. See? Isn't that clear now?

Some labia can be quite frightening, actually.

Jan 04 07 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:

Some labia can be quite frightening, actually.

I know. I did a 50 labia (pair) project for a cancer center.

Jan 04 07 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

"These undies don't work" ..... How do undies work?

Jan 04 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Anything could've been wrong with them. It doesn't matter the second set worked right?

Jan 04 07 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

next time give her a new pair, and when she comes out of the dressing room you'll be standing there in nothing but the first pair with your arms crossed. Say coyly, "do they work for you now?"

Jan 04 07 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Beach wrote:
next time give her a new pair, and when she comes out of the dressing room you'll be standing there in nothing but the first pair with your arms crossed. Say coyly, "do they work for you now?"

lmao!

Jan 04 07 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Beach wrote:

LOL.  Gotta try that, camera in hand, so I can capture her expression.

Jan 04 07 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
"These undies don't work."

Usually I'm the one saying that to the models.

Jan 04 07 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

alarana wrote:
Just ask.  If it's something that intimate she can't share, she won't answer...

...agree.

Jan 04 07 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

kelvin pinney wrote:
Perhaps you weren't forceful enough. Next time try it like Arnold with a french/italian accent-

"Now lie on your back and put those panties on. Do it dolcissimo. Do it, slowly..."

Don't be surprized if she whacks you upside the head with an antique telephone. Damn, you wouldn't believe how long it took me to come up with the word 'dolcissimo'.

Jay-ziss...  Dolcissimo?  Sorry, pal, but I'l stealing that one.  I've found a new favorite word.  I don't know about French/Italian but I can door a poor Spanish accent when necessary...

But that's neither here nor there.

So, Vivus... you're scared to ask just because she's a goil

No harm in asking.  If she says that they won't work then matter-of-factly ask "Why?"  Considering you may have mentally planned compositions based on it, it's within your right to ask.  If she doesn't answer then she doesn't.  But you're both grown-ups, I doubt it would be anything that couldn't be explained.  Especially since pointedly not answering says just as much as providing one.

Jan 04 07 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

"let me see what you mean"

"oh don't worry babe, i'll fix that in post"

;-)

Jan 04 07 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
I gave a model a bra and panty set to put on.  Two minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said, "These undies don't work."  I didn't know what she meant, and I didn't ask.  I gave her another pair, which she wore for the shots.

I'm someone who believes in good communcation between photog and model, but I was afraid to ask what was the matter with the first pair.  I thought it might be something, um, female and, um, intimate, and I didn't need to have the conversation.  The undies were gauzy see-through in the back (not in the front), but she had worn such a pair before in another shoot.  So, I never found out.

Maybe there was a skid mark in them from an earlier shoot...

Jan 04 07 08:19 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Maybe she just didn't like them....

Jan 04 07 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Carrie_K wrote:
There needs to be open communication between a model and photographer

Then she should have been clearer.  In shoots, I've heard, "These don't fit me," "Don't you think these colors clash?", "This shows too much," etc., etc.  If a model has a reason, she should give it in the first place, no?  As you suggest, the model should communicate.  She shouldn't be mysterious.  Unless her reason was, as I indicated, maybe something "female" and "intimate," i.e., something more than she wanted to say to a photographer.

Jan 04 07 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

What I would have done is calmly taken the bra and panty set from her, gone into the bathroom, put it on and then emerged to show her that they did indeed "work."

OK that was just tonight's attempt at humor. I wouldn't really have done that. I would have simply asked what she meant.

Jan 04 07 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Hmm... so, you are going to hang out taking pictures of someone in their underwear for the afternoon, but you don't have enough rapport with them to communicate frankly about said underwear...

Wait until you have to discuss "where to put the string" a nude model or two. I guarantee any answer to an underwear question won't phase you after that.

Jan 05 07 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Hmm... so, you are going to hang out taking pictures of someone in their underwear for the afternoon, but you don't have enough rapport with them to communicate frankly about said underwear...

Wait until you have to discuss "where to put the string" a nude model or two. I guarantee any answer to an underwear question won't phase you after that.

You assume too much.  It was she who, in that instance, didn't have enough rapport to communicate frankly with me, with her mysterious "These undies don't work."  On that, I followed her lead.  I've shot with her before and after that shoot.  We generally communicate well.

Jan 05 07 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Vivus Denuo wrote:

You assume too much.  It was she who, in that instance, didn't have enough rapport to communicate frankly with me, with her mysterious "These undies don't work."  On that, I followed her lead.  I've shot with her before and after that shoot.  We generally communicate well.

*shrug* seems to me "How do you mean?" is a perfectly acceptable response to her statement.  She *was* communicating.  By your description of the situation you are the one who  ended the conversation.

Jan 06 07 04:58 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

"These undies don't work."  Hmmm.....

A) She meant they don't work as in she doesn't like them, so it's not gonna work for the shoot.
B) It's her strange way of saying that they don't fit comfortably.
C) She thinks they won't work when it comes to covering up a certain flaw on her panty area (bumps, stretch marks, etc.).
D) They won't work because she's on her cycle, and the undies are too small to hide the thingy.

I don't know...just throwing some ideas at you.  *SHRUGS SHOULDERS*

Jan 06 07 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Primal Lens wrote:
reminds me the photographer who had to actually say" Oh no hon, its a g string, you have it on back wards, thats why"
LOL

I'm cracking up here cos I have told that to my llama, lmao.. I brought her a fancy pair with lace tie ups at the back, but cos the bra corset has the lace at the front she thought the knickers went the same way .. lmao right now! it wasn't a g banger though.

Jan 06 07 07:42 pm Link

Model

AprilinCA

Murrieta, California, US

The photographer I manage would've probably said something like then leave them off. OR.... If they're covering you they're working just fine. LOL He's such a smartass.

But really, NEVER be afraid to ask it may have been something you could have fixed. But most likely they maybe didnt fit her right?????

Jan 06 07 07:52 pm Link

Model

Irene King

Petersburg, Alaska, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
I gave a llama a bra and panty set to put on.  Two minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said, "These undies don't work."  I didn't know what she meant, and I didn't ask.  I gave her another pair, which she wore for the shots.

I'm someone who believes in good communcation between photog and llama, but I was afraid to ask what was the matter with the first pair.  I thought it might be something, um, female and, um, intimate, and I didn't need to have the conversation.  The undies were gauzy see-through in the back (not in the front), but she had worn such a pair before in another shoot.  So, I never found out.

If she wasn't comfortable in the first pair, how do you think the photos of her would have turned out?  If you have a happy llama, everything goes right.

Jan 06 07 07:53 pm Link

Model

Bianca Bombshell

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
I gave a llama a bra and panty set to put on.  Two minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said, "These undies don't work."  I didn't know what she meant, and I didn't ask.  I gave her another pair, which she wore for the shots.

I'm someone who believes in good communcation between photog and llama, but I was afraid to ask what was the matter with the first pair.  I thought it might be something, um, female and, um, intimate, and I didn't need to have the conversation.  The undies were gauzy see-through in the back (not in the front), but she had worn such a pair before in another shoot.  So, I never found out.

What kind of undies?? I know in my opinion that thongs that are really thick in the back instead of thin like g-strings hurt like a bitch, at least for me. And if they're too small they rub in all the wrong places. Nothing makes you grumpier than underwear that rubs in all the wrong places! smile

Jan 06 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

wandering eye wrote:

*shrug* seems to me "How do you mean?" is a perfectly acceptable response to her statement.  She *was* communicating.  By your description of the situation you are the one who  ended the conversation.

Yes, I ended the conversation, by taking what appeared to me to be a pretty clear hint.  She made a cryptic remark and left me guessing.  That's unusual.  Most people, most of the time, would explain, without prodding, e.g. "these undies don't work, they're too small," or "these undies show more than I want to show," or whatever.  I sensed that there was a reason why she elected not to tell me the reason.  Instead, I said, "OK" and gave her another pair, and continued the shoot.  All worked out well.

Jan 08 07 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Michael Harmon

Austin, Texas, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
What I would have done is calmly taken the bra and panty set from her, gone into the bathroom, put it on and then emerged to show her that they did indeed "work."

OK that was just tonight's attempt at humor. I wouldn't really have done that. I would have simply asked what she meant.

Ha! smile

Jan 08 07 12:35 am Link