Forums > General Industry > Start spreadin’ the news. I’m leavin’ today.

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

All right, not literally today...but...

I'll be in Boston a lot in the very near future, and am going to make plans to bus to New York (City) at least twice during every trip.

I've never been to New York, but tend to just think "fashion".

A) I'm a nude model but am not opposed to doing fashion shoots, especially if they're extreme.  How do I make the transition? 

B) Should my attempt at fashion modeling or any other kind of modeling I haven't done before not work out...is there a market for nude work in NY?  I mean...a paying market?

I know nothing of that city...I've lived in Wisconsin nearly my whole life and pretty much only know what it's like to model HERE.  So, please don't be rude.

Jan 04 07 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Well Shandra I'll bump this for your because I'm just interested to hear answers to your questions.  Something I know nothing about.  Good luck.

Jan 04 07 07:30 am Link

Photographer

charles kafka

Burlington, Vermont, US

nude is harder then fashion. .
whenever in front of a camera,, just do it with flare
also fashion photographers tend to be more precise in what they are looking for. chances are you will be told exacly how to stand, and how to look, and have your makeup done for you..
you just have to stay glamourous through it all :-)
charles kafka

Jan 04 07 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

someone in NYC will always be interested in paying a nude model, be it a student, or GWC, etc

as for fashion, will high end fashion probably isnt you, but again there are a lot of low level fashion shoots going on, runway ahows for students, upcoming designers, fit models, etc. much of it doesnt pay though

but there are other things in NYC, acting, for example

and other ways to make money in a city that never sleeps. nightclubs are always looking for go-go dancers, (i dont mean strippers) and restaurants/hotels etc always need hostesses

Jan 04 07 08:01 am Link

Model

S. Stark

charles kafka wrote:
nude is harder then fashion. .
whenever in front of a camera,, just do it with flare
also fashion photographers tend to be more precise in what they are looking for. chances are you will be told exacly how to stand, and how to look, and have your makeup done for you..
you just have to stay glamourous through it all :-)
charles kafka

I haven't tried it before because...I shot for a clothing line once and it wasn't that awesome...

..but...I love trying new things.  I also love having my make-up and hair done.  I don't wear make-up and don't know how to put it on...a four year-old could do a better job than me.

Nude is harder?  Well...I've pretty much got that down.

Jan 04 07 08:05 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Chili wrote:
someone in NYC will always be interested in paying a nude model, be it a student, or GWC, etc

as for fashion, will high end fashion probably isnt you, but again there are a lot of low level fashion shoots going on, runway ahows for students, upcoming designers, fit models, etc. much of it doesnt pay though

but there are other things in NYC, acting, for example

and other ways to make money in a city that never sleeps. nightclubs are always looking for go-go dancers, (i dont mean strippers) and restaurants/hotels etc always need hostesses

Runway...I could never do.  I'm not tall enough...that...and it scares the crap out of me!!

I could totally be a go-go dancer.  I was a dancer for six years.

Good ideas!

Jan 04 07 08:08 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Eric wrote:
Well Shandra I'll bump this for your because I'm just interested to hear answers to your questions.  Something I know nothing about.  Good luck.

Thank you.

Which is something you know nothing about?  New York City, or fashion?  Or both?

Jan 04 07 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Wrong coast.

Jan 04 07 10:30 am Link

Model

S. Stark

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Wrong coast.

That's the second time I've been told that today.

Jan 04 07 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

You guys occasionally give us SOME reason to envy the easterners.

Jan 04 07 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Well, you could shoot with me. I am near Boston and always looking for a model with experience.

Jan 04 07 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

the FIT students, and the up and coming designers ARE NOT all that particular about your height for "low visiblity" fashion shows

go-go dancers get around $150/night for about 11:30pm to 2:30am

Jan 04 07 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Shandra wrote:

That's the second time I've been told that today.

It's jealousy. Calif people are always trying to move out this way. We send em packin.

Jan 04 07 11:01 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Shandra you got the fashion model face !  you got the fashion bod.
Go for the fashion gig, you are a natural
https://www.unomundo.net/mm/_MG_4006.jpg

Jan 04 07 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Unfortunately, I think your stats (5'7" especially) will keep most fashion modeling out of reach (bad pun intended). Commercial work maybe, I'm no expert but you have a great face for it.

However, you have a lovely figure for art nudes, IMHO. I don't think anyone can expect to make a living at it, but if you can find photographers who do work you like and who can pay you here and there, why not?

Jan 05 07 02:35 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Brendan Barry wrote:
Well, you could shoot with me. I am near Boston and always looking for a llama with experience.

Apparently, you're no longer a member?  I had this happen to me yesterday, so...if you read this, I can't message you...and you should message me when your account is back up.

Jan 06 07 07:57 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Chili wrote:
the FIT students, and the up and coming designers ARE NOT all that particular about your height for "low visiblity" fashion shows

go-go dancers get around $150/night for about 11:30pm to 2:30am

Low visibility is something I'd be comfortable with.

Annnnnd...I'm so interested in go-go dancing now.  I'm definitely going to look into it.

Jan 06 07 07:59 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Shandra you got the fashion llama face !  you got the fashion bod.
Go for the fashion gig, you are a natural
https://www.unomundo.net/mm/_MG_4006.jpg

Thanks Peter...I'll do my best!

Jan 06 07 07:59 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Richard Tallent wrote:
Unfortunately, I think your stats (5'7" especially) will keep most fashion llamaing out of reach (bad pun intended). Commercial work maybe, I'm no expert but you have a great face for it.

However, you have a lovely figure for art nudes, IMHO. I don't think anyone can expect to make a living at it, but if you can find photographers who do work you like and who can pay you here and there, why not?

Commercial is something I'd be willing to try.

I know that art/figure llamaing is what I'm good at, and what I love...but...I figured I'd try a few new things, just to see what happens.

Here and there is fine with me smile

Jan 06 07 08:01 pm Link