Forums > General Industry > designer i think.. who is offering to pay ..help!

Model

keri t

New York, New York, US

well for a high fashion shoot in montreal in first week in feb.. so i said send me the details..so he sent me a pic of last yrs design... he is also flirting with me over the net... he is for real i think.. but what are the next steps step by step? do i tell him i need a written contract? what needs to be in it? do i wait... till he sends me stuff? i mean feb is one month away. do i tell himi need the info by a certain time? please help and send a message to my profile! thanks!

Jan 03 07 06:14 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Did he ask you to send him any money to cover anything?
I got contacted last year about something simular, and I got screeeeewd bit time.

Ask for contracts as soon as possible

Jan 03 07 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I recall seeing a post about a designer in Montreal who had scammed a number of girls and paid them nothing.  Whether this is the person or not is hard to say, given the lack of facts presented.  However, the fact that he wants someone in Florida to work with him, and is in a city with excellent model agencies and lots of available talent, raises a strong red flag.

Jan 03 07 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MsHeidi wrote:
Ask for contracts as soon as possible

Just curious, what would she do with the contracts?  If he scams her, she is still in Florida, he is still in Canada, and the prospect of enforcing any contract against him is near zero.

Jan 03 07 09:53 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I mean get stuff in writing and don't send the dude $ !

Jan 03 07 09:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
However, the fact that he wants someone in Florida to work with him, and is in a city with excellent model agencies and lots of available talent, raises a strong red flag.

I was just about to post this...

Oh... HNY Mr. R.! smile

Jan 03 07 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Just curious, what would she do with the contracts?  If he scams her, she is still in Florida, he is still in Canada, and the prospect of enforcing any contract against him is near zero.

http://www.jurisint.org/en/con/index.html Not sure if there isn't anything for this case in there, but you can have international contracts. And they are still legally binding, regardless of the fact that it's more than one country.

You can look up more about international law and contract disputes if you'd like, but they point is it's enforceable.

Jan 03 07 09:58 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

research it thoroughly! it sounds kind of fishy to me.

Jan 03 07 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aaron S wrote:
http://www.jurisint.org/en/con/index.html Not sure if there isn't anything for this case in there, but you can have international contracts. And they are still legally binding, regardless of the fact that it's more than one country.

You can look up more about international law and contract disputes if you'd like, but they point is it's enforceable.

Of course you can have international contracts, and of course they are, in principle, enforceable.  So what?

He offers her a job for a few hundred bucks.  He doesn't pay.  How, for a reasonable price, do you enforce the contract?  It isn't feasible.  The contract, as a practical matter, is useless, no matter how "valid and enforceable" it may be.

Jan 03 07 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Of course you can have international contracts, and of course they are, in principle, enforceable.  So what?

He offers her a job for a few hundred bucks.  He doesn't pay.  How, for a reasonable price, do you enforce the contract?  It isn't feasible.  The contract, as a practical matter, is useless, no matter how "valid and enforceable" it may be.

That's some top notch legal advice there. You should probably go into consulting.

Jan 03 07 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aaron S wrote:
That's some top notch legal advice there. You should probably go into consulting.

Or maybe be an agent.  Gee, what an idea.

Been there, done that.

Jan 03 07 10:39 am Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Sounds fishy...especially since the OP's measurements don't meet high fashion requirements...just a thought to ponder on.

Unless it's through a reputable site, or a message from a reputable agency, then I take offers over the internet with a grain of salt most times.

Also wondering...did this person who made the offer by chance have a yahoo address? There's a lot of scams going around, and most often, the purpetrator uses a free mail server.

Jan 04 07 06:03 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

I guess they don't have models in montreal,so he has to search the net for someone in Florida,Yeah right!.It's a scam

Jan 04 07 01:17 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

He's going to fly you to Montreal all the way from Florida for a shoot? AND he's been flirting with you? I'm sorry, but I personally wouldn't waste my time. It doesn't make sense, so it's probably not legit.

Jan 04 07 04:28 pm Link

Model

HarlotWorm

Highlands Ranch, Colorado, US

maybe he IS for real, but it sounds very suspicious to me. what he is saying to you (plus the flirting) is really far fetched. montreal is a far way away, but you never know i guess. just be careful...

Jan 04 07 06:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

Sounds like a scam to me. RED FLAG... RED FLAG.
Don't waste your time like others have stated!

Jan 05 07 03:09 am Link