Forums > General Industry > How does one gain experience fast?

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Hello and Happy New Year all.

I get more and more request for shoots from friends of a friend and from people browsing through my website but I’m hesitant to accept it because I have no experience and I’m not comfortable with my skill level yet. I’ve never shot any people/models except for my friends and I don’t want to accept money until I know what I’m doing exactly – plus I’m kind of shy so I need to get used to shooting strangers :-) So here’s the question – how one does gain experience fast? I have full time IT career so it’s hard for me to find time to just shoot with anyone to build my experience  normal (slow) way, I need to boost it somehow. I’m thinking about two ways:

-    spending couple of days per month assisting in some photo studio (and how do I go about finding the photographer to assist to? )
-    hiring experienced pro model or two and learning from them

I’m sure it’s quite common problem and many of you went through this already. Any opinion will be appreciated :-)

Jan 02 07 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

shoot shoot shoot ...

it's much cheaper now than when the guys who can shoot film learned.

if you cant find "models" shoot something else.

then shoot models when you can.

good luck

rich

Jan 02 07 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

when i first started, i shot models at least once a week.  4 years have gone by and now i shoot a model a month lolz

Jan 02 07 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

richard boswell wrote:
shoot shoot shoot ...

it's much cheaper now than when the guys who can shoot film learned.

if you cant find "models" shoot something else.

then shoot models when you can.

good luck

rich

Thanks Rich but..................."I have full time IT career so it’s hard for me to find time to just shoot with anyone to build my experience  normal (slow) way, I need to boost it somehow", plus I'm not looking to learn photography but to get some studio experience fast.

Jan 02 07 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken B.

Abington, Pennsylvania, US

Read like a historian.

Observe the best that will allow you.

Perfect the classic lighting and poses.

Then break all the rules until YOU like the results.

It's all about your art.

Keep having fun!

Ken

(Disregard the above if your intent is commercial work.)

Jan 02 07 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Well, your  choices are either:

a.) Practice, and shoot as often as you can.

b.) Magic

c.) Cybernetic implants into your brain.

Take your pic.

Jan 02 07 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Finearts Photography

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Sounds like you know what to do. I suggest you learn with a photographer first. Then practice what you learned with a model. Like Rich said shoot anything. I have lots of photos of my dog. If I were in NY I would show you all I know.  Eric

Jan 02 07 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

get a police scanner and shoot what you hear on it

good excersize in being flexible because you NEVER know whats the condition will be when you get there and you get to shoot a LOT

Jan 02 07 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Steal some pictures, call them your own and fake the rest wink
No one will learn it for ya. There is no quick way.
You can get a book on basic lighting and that’ll teach you, we’ll the basics. Probably enough to get buy on portrait work. Do a goggle search for basic portrait lighting and you’ll come up with links like this
http://www.irphotoschool.com/lessons/e2 … string.php

Jan 02 07 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Aaron S wrote:
Well, your  choices are either:

a.) Practice, and shoot as often as you can.

b.) Magic

Take your pic.

D.)Get Nueterd

smile

(:---------

Hj

Jan 02 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

if it were ez ...

never mind

;-)

rich

without words wrote:

Thanks Rich but..................."I have full time IT career so it’s hard for me to find time to just shoot with anyone to build my experience  normal (slow) way, I need to boost it somehow", plus I'm not looking to learn photography but to get some studio experience fast.

Jan 02 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kay Thom

New York, New York, US

Aaron S wrote:

do NOT use the ones from Miles Bennet Dyson! Boycott Cyberdine!!
smile

Jan 02 07 06:43 pm Link

Model

Adieu

There are people that go to school full-time, work full-time, and still have time to shoot atleast a model a week. Keep posting things up for critique section to learn what your doing wrong, shoot as much as you can, and stay open-minded to criticism, and put the advice you get to use.

Jan 02 07 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

On the one hand, you have Las Vegas mentality.  On the other, you have the Stock Market mentality.

The Las Vegas mentality is that you can make something happen overnight or very, very quickly.  The Stock Market mentality is that you must put time in -sometimes very extensive time- to see the results you want.

Photography, for all intents and purposes, requires the latter mentality.

Sure, you're getting people asking you to shoot and all that and that great, and I won't speculate on which of those people will actually pan out and really give you something to shoot... to say nothing of actually paying you... But the key is that you are uncomfortable with you're ability to deliver what they need.  As a photographer you are only as good as you last shot and word of mouth travels fast.  Especially when the words are negative.

Where am I going with all this?  Well, there's no fast way to get experience shooting.  Even if you assist.  You just have to go shoot.  You have to take you knocks and earn your chops.  And, yes, you'll fuck up sometimes.  Maybe a lot of the time.  If friends of friends want some pics, see what the need specifically and shoot it.  Go find models and shoot them.  Go find photographers (good luck finding a good photographer who'll take someone on as an assistant who hasn't done it at least 3 years) and help them.  None of it will happen quickly.  It takes time to build up the skills and (more importantly) the business savvy to be a good photographer.  Think in terms of years, not weeks and months.

Las Vegas and the Stock Market, pal.  Take your time.  If you can't think long term and want to use a Vegas mentality on a truncated time-frame measured in months, become a model...

Jan 02 07 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

It seems that I asked the question the wrong way, let me rephrase it:

What would you guys recommend as far as getting experience in working with models?

Hiring experienced model or two and learning from them? Assisting in good photo studio? How one goes about finding a pro photographer to work for?

I have no experience whatsoever and I realize that for some of you the question is silly but still, this is my actual dilemma :-)

Jan 02 07 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
On the one hand, you have Las Vegas mentality.  On the other, you have the Stock Market mentality.

The Las Vegas mentality is that you can make something happen overnight or very, very quickly.  The Stock Market mentality is that you must put time in -sometimes very extensive time- to see the results you want.

Photography is an acquired skill that takes time to learn.  Some people get good faster than others.  Some never become good at all.

Photography is an artform.  It takes talent.  You can't rush creativity and the learning process.

Be patient grasshopper.

Jan 02 07 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Other then a mind meld.
Shoot shoot Shoot shoot.
Both your ideas are good.
Assist a wedding photographer on a few weekends and pay attention to everything.
Then Shoot shoot Shoot shoot some more.
And don't charge until you feel you can deliver, unless you got big balls and can fly by the seat of your pants.

Jan 02 07 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Sure, you're getting people asking you to shoot and all that and that great, and I won't speculate on which of those people will actually pan out and really give you something to shoot... to say nothing of actually paying you... But the key is that you are uncomfortable with you're ability to deliver what they need.  As a photographer you are only as good as you last shot and word of mouth travels fast.  Especially when the words are negative.

Where am I going with all this?  Well, there's no fast way to get experience shooting.  Even if you assist.  You just have to go shoot.  You have to take you knocks and earn your chops.  And, yes, you'll fuck up sometimes.  Maybe a lot of the time.  If friends of friends want some pics, see what the need specifically and shoot it.  Go find models and shoot them.  Go find photographers (good luck finding a good photographer who'll take someone on as an assistant who hasn't done it at least 3 years) and help them.  None of it will happen quickly.  It takes time to build up the skills and (more importantly) the business savvy to be a good photographer.  Think in terms of years, not weeks and months.

Las Vegas and the Stock Market, pal.  Take your time.  If you can't think long term and want to use a Vegas mentality on a truncated time-frame measured in months, become a model...

Well, I am confused at the moment.

Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it. I understand what you’re saying and it does apply to me somehow. The difference between me and most of the people asking the same question is that I’m not planning on becoming professional photographer and doing it for a living. Photography is a passion for me and I want to learn it as much as I can on my limited time to offer something great for the people who want me to photograph them, paying or not paying. Anyway, I will think about what you said. Thanks!

Jan 02 07 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

without words wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year all.

I get more and more request for shoots from friends of a friend and from people browsing through my website but I’m hesitant to accept it because I have no experience and I’m not comfortable with my skill level yet. I’ve never shot any people/models except for my friends and I don’t want to accept money until I know what I’m doing exactly – plus I’m kind of shy so I need to get used to shooting strangers :-) So here’s the question – how one does gain experience fast? I have full time IT career so it’s hard for me to find time to just shoot with anyone to build my experience  normal (slow) way, I need to boost it somehow. I’m thinking about two ways:

-    spending couple of days per month assisting in some photo studio (and how do I go about finding the photographer to assist to? )
-    hiring experienced pro model or two and learning from them

I’m sure it’s quite common problem and many of you went through this already. Any opinion will be appreciated :-)

I used to be in your place when I first got here and I gained experience by making friends with local photographers who were also on MM and just doing TFP jobs with the local models. Over time I started getting used to setting up shoots and finding the right angle, and now I'm more comfortable with sketching ideas and have managed to develop a small (but good) reputation with the locals as well as experience working with people you never met before (as opposed to friends).

Over time, I got the hang of it. I'm not advanced at all, but I'm having fun and I'd like to think my work is getting better at least lol. Also I don't plan on being a professional photographer, this is all a fun hobby for me and it's worked so far. Use MM models in your area for practice. big_smile It's what beginner's are here for. Utilize the network

Jan 02 07 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I see that you are from New York. I don't see why you should have any problem finding dozens of models of your same caliber and mind set. Locate them and hook up, going into the shoot with a mutual understanding that it will be a learning experience. Hopefully you might even get a few good shots in the process.

Gary

Jan 02 07 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

bruno rand photography

it almost sounds like you don't know what you want... do you want to improve your technical skills as a photographer, or your ability to work with models, or both?

some photographers are very good at the technical side of photography, some are very good with people and getting good thing from models, and some photographers are good at both...

I don't think you asked your questions the wrong way, I just don't think you got the answers you wanted...

as everyone on here has stated, there are no shortcuts... I've fucked up more shoots than completed good ones, but I learned something from each shoot... if you're not working with experienced models, (most MM models are not), then practice the basics with the inexperienced models, the basics are all those models will be able to do anyway... and when you've conquered the basics, push yourself toward more creative shots, and hopefully by then, you will have also conquered your "shyness" and be able to work with more experienced models...

Jan 02 07 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

Infinite patience, brings immediate results

Jan 02 07 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

S T A G E 4 D E T

Detroit, Alabama, US

And the question was asked how do you  get to Carnegie Hall?  practice,practice,practice,,, My spin is,, in order for you to be very good at this is by all means to have passion for it, with that comes an open mind to except the good and the bad, Sure digital makes it easier, but I,ve known people with top name cameras who were lousy at shooting certain things but dynamic on others.
Find what you want to do, I say look at a lot of television,movies,advertisements,billboards it,s all around you,study the work of those whom you admire,I started out with one film camera ,an old nikon F,with a 50 mm lens and a 2x converter,back then I couldnt afford much,I went to an art supply store and bought gel filters ,I was blessed to have a very good mentor who
influenced me on a positive side and here I am thirty years into the business 3 time award winner,but I still miss the days of a fresh mind,my mentor gave up photography ,retired from G.M.photodivision says he doesn,t want to even see another camera ,and I understand why,  being in the creative field can be very costly , I have seen it break up happy homes, I have seen it financially ruin people but at the same time I and others have reaped a lot of rewards, .

Jan 02 07 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

without words wrote:

What would you guys recommend as far as getting experience in working with models?

Hiring experienced model or two and learning from them? Assisting in good photo studio? How one goes about finding a pro photographer to work for?

I have no experience whatsoever and I realize that for some of you the question is silly but still, this is my actual dilemma :-)

I went through a casting agency in Los Angeles under the circumstance that I would offer free head shot services and NOT spam their clients with self-marketing and promotion. Received over 900 responses from actors and actresses, picked 5, shot them all and moved out of town.

Headshots are relatively easy because the technical and creative requirements are lower. The rules are simple, there's not a ton of planning involved and everybody (in los angeles) needs them. Even if its not the type of photography you want to do, you'll at least become familiar with photographer-model interaction.

You also mentioned that you have experience in other branches of photography, so capitalize on that! (though, I'm sure you already knew that)

Other than that, my advice is to question advice that other people give you wink

Jan 02 07 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

As an amateur I have been shooting for 12-13 years.  I am happy with my pics sometimes, but see need for further improvement almost always.  Only rarely am I thrilled by a shot. I like to shoot a lot and shoot anything I can.  In our society which seems to value instant gratification, how do you decide to follow a course that takes years to develop and which you'll probably never be completely happy, because there is always something new to learn.  That's the kind of decision your starting to make.  If your in as an amateur consider years of improvement.  Most people will tell you you are good, but you know you still need to improve areas of your work.

I'm rambling, but your asking a very difficult question.  I have over 12 years invested as an amateur and am not completely satisfied with my abilities.

Jan 02 07 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

What kind of requests are you getting that'd require you to shoot models? If you want to get good fast, then focus specifically on what you need. Advice like shooting with wedding photographers and chasing on police bands won't help if they're not applicable to what you want to do.

Jan 02 07 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

FMfoto

without words wrote:
I get more and more request for shoots from friends of a friend and from people browsing through my website but I’m hesitant to accept it because I have no experience and I’m not comfortable with my skill level yet. I’ve never shot any people/models except for my friends and I don’t want to accept money until I know what I’m doing exactly – plus I’m kind of shy so I need to get used to shooting strangers :-)

Looks like you've answered your own question!!
If you're getting requests... do it!  Keep doing it, if they're approaching you.  Photographing people requires people skill, look at it as two-fold.  You gain skill shooting more often, and it helps to overcome your shyness!

With a cameras in hand (and a media pass), I can freely roam a Hollywood party, very social and in control... snapping way.  Take my camera away, and I'd probably be a wallflower.

You'd be amazed how people will ham it up for the camera if they see one around.  Also, make sure to have business cards so in any social settings, if you approach someone to shoot they have your contact info and can check out your website.

Jan 02 07 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

richard boswell

New York, New York, US

both ...

not to be cryptic, but i learn constantly and i have been doing this for decades.

think of yourself as a baby bird being fed,

suck it all in, and eventually you will crap out what you don't need ...

mostly ...

rich

without words wrote:

Jan 02 07 08:14 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I believe that you have in a way answered your own question.

I am still a little confused by your own question, and I think you are a littl eunsure of the answer anyway. Thats ok.

I don't really know the need for your desired goals to get better fast. You're in control of your destiny. The suggestions that you posted are good ones. Working with a good experienced model and paying her can really help you. Since you would be paying, be sure to be picky!! Its your money, you don't want to waste it on someone that isn't worth it. Find a photographer to shadow, a good studio or just someone to learn from. Mentors are great. If nothing else, find someone that you trust to honestly and accurately critique your photos. They don't have to be in the same state as you, but it is pretty important that you be able to trust their judgement and be open to it. Being open to critique will improve you faster than many other gadets and gizmos.

Read. Read read read. Find books, go to the library and borrow books that are on art, on the technical aspects of photography, on composition, books of collections of photos. Note what you like and dislike. See if you can recreate the lighting effects. If you don't have a lot of shooting time, then books can be your next best friend.

Good luck! So long as you have the drive and determination, you're only limited by yourself.

Jan 02 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

From looking at your website, I am a bit confused about your so called lack of experience.  You have images in there that show an extreme understanding of the zone system and metering.  Not to mention a multitude of subject matter that would mean that you have either been shooting non-stop for the past year or have been shooting at a fairly expeirenced level for many years.

This means that you have either stolen many of the images that are on your site, or you have all the experience and knowledge needed to begin charging clients for your services.

Jan 02 07 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Ok, my situation is a little different but not that much.  Sounds from your comments that you need two things.  First, you need to get used to interacting with people.  That just takes practice.  No quick way to that.  Professional model isn't going to help there.  Working with professional photographer would help some but not that much.  Just got to do it yourself.  You have a big advantage over me as far as finding models.  I live in the cornfields.

Second, you said you need to gain experience shooting in the studio (your location work looks great to me btw).  I don't know your setup but that pretty much boils down to lighting and playing with different backdrops.  I went to the local costume store and bought a mask, a blonde and a brunette wig, and a stryrofaom head to put them on.  Sat it on top of a tall box and wrapped a robe around it.  Much more reliable model than a lot of the TFP models on MM (before the models start yelling, yes there are some great models on here).  Bonus is that the mask is of George W (had the most realistic skin texture).  The live models love "George in Drag."  Helps break the ice.

Jan 02 07 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Apfel Photography wrote:
From looking at your website, I am a bit confused about your so called lack of experience.  You have images in there that show an extreme understanding of the zone system and metering.  Not to mention a multitude of subject matter that would mean that you have either been shooting non-stop for the past year or have been shooting at a fairly expeirenced level for many years.

This means that you have either stolen many of the images that are on your site, or you have all the experience and knowledge needed to begin charging clients for your services.

I think you guys just don’t understand what I’m asking for and I’m going to blame it on my poor English :-)

I lack STUDIO EXPERIENCE and I’ve never worked with models (strangers) and with my “people skills” being rather poor I just want to learn how to interact with strangers in front of my camera. I do appreciate all the advice on photography and other stuff but all I need is to see/learn how pros deal with models, giving directions and other studio stuff like this. Anyway, I gave up on this thread, I will try to assist for some photographers and I guess I will hire experienced model to work with me.

PS. Thank you for your kind words about my pictures, I don’t shoot much, one day per month maybe. It took three years to collect all the pics on my site, and none of them are stolen :-)

Jan 02 07 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Eric wrote:
Ok, my situation is a little different but not that much.  Sounds from your comments that you need two things.  First, you need to get used to interacting with people.  That just takes practice.  No quick way to that.  Professional model isn't going to help there.  Working with professional photographer would help some but not that much.  Just got to do it yourself.  You have a big advantage over me as far as finding models.  I live in the cornfields.

Second, you said you need to gain experience shooting in the studio (your location work looks great to me btw).  I don't know your setup but that pretty much boils down to lighting and playing with different backdrops.  I went to the local costume store and bought a mask, a blonde and a brunette wig, and a stryrofaom head to put them on.  Sat it on top of a tall box and wrapped a robe around it.  Much more reliable model than a lot of the TFP models on MM (before the models start yelling, yes there are some great models on here).  Bonus is that the mask is of George W (had the most realistic skin texture).  The live models love "George in Drag."  Helps break the ice.

Hehe, the second part of your advice is hilarious :-) I will not try it cause I don’t want anyone thinking that I’m weirder than I really am but I agree it may work :-))

Yes, you got it right; both things are exactly what I’m looking for but having very limited time regular “practice” is not good enough, it will take too long. I gotta find a shortcut.

Thanks!

Jan 02 07 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Have you considered assiting a photographer in your area who looks like the shoot the way you want to shoot? Most of us wouldn't turn down free help, as long as you sign a liability waiver in case of injury....

Star

Jan 02 07 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

I am a self taught photographer.  I was pulled into the business 5 years ago when an agent saw some photos that I shot on my wife for fun, (in my port the most).  They started sending me people to build my book.  I told her I didn't want to be a photographer out of fear.  The work she saw was shot with the camera on all auto.  So I decided to shut my mouth and start taking the shoots without charging.  Basically, take the plunge!!!!  The best way to learn fast is by trial and error... period!  if you're not charging, then niether you or the model have anything to lose.  Go for it!!!!!

Jan 02 07 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

NC17 wrote:
I believe that you have in a way answered your own question.

I am still a little confused by your own question, and I think you are a littl eunsure of the answer anyway. Thats ok.

I don't really know the need for your desired goals to get better fast. You're in control of your destiny. The suggestions that you posted are good ones. Working with a good experienced model and paying her can really help you. Since you would be paying, be sure to be picky!! Its your money, you don't want to waste it on someone that isn't worth it. Find a photographer to shadow, a good studio or just someone to learn from. Mentors are great. If nothing else, find someone that you trust to honestly and accurately critique your photos. They don't have to be in the same state as you, but it is pretty important that you be able to trust their judgement and be open to it. Being open to critique will improve you faster than many other gadets and gizmos.

Read. Read read read. Find books, go to the library and borrow books that are on art, on the technical aspects of photography, on composition, books of collections of photos. Note what you like and dislike. See if you can recreate the lighting effects. If you don't have a lot of shooting time, then books can be your next best friend.

Good luck! So long as you have the drive and determination, you're only limited by yourself.

Why so fast? Because my time is very limited and I can’t waste any. I’m very eager to start to work with people who want to shoot with me but I want to be able to offer something amazing, especially if they want to pay me. That’s why I’m looking for the fastest way to get experience and I understand it will cost me some $$$. So yes, I did answer my own question in a way :-)

PS. Your port is amazing!

Jan 02 07 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Star wrote:
Have you considered assiting a photographer in your area who looks like the shoot the way you want to shoot? Most of us wouldn't turn down free help, as long as you sign a liability waiver in case of injury....

Star

This is exactly what I’m going to do. I’m not quite sure how to go about it but I guess I will start with PM’s to the photographers with work that amazes me. Maybe I will post a message on the forum. I will think of something, thanks :-)

Jan 02 07 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

P.S.  You'll learn to communicate out of necessity.  If you want good shots and you need something from a model that you are not getting, and your shots depend on it, you'll learn to ask.  Some of the best photographers that my wife has worked with said very little during the shoot.  (She's a working model).  Good luck!!!!

Jan 02 07 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Widlak

MASPETH, New York, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
I am a self taught photographer.  I was pulled into the business 5 years ago when an agent saw some photos that I shot on my wife for fun, (in my port the most).  They started sending me people to build my book.  I told her I didn't want to be a photographer out of fear.  The work she saw was shot with the camera on all auto.  So I decided to shut my mouth and start taking the shoots without charging.  Basically, take the plunge!!!!  The best way to learn fast is by trial and error... period!  if you're not charging, then niether you or the model have anything to lose.  Go for it!!!!!

You’re lucky to have started this way :-) And I know exactly what are you talking about when you mention “fear”. I feel the same now but I know it will go away once I’ll know what I’m doing with models. Your work is amazing, too bad you’re far away, I would definitely ask you if you need free assistant :-)

Thanks.

PS. I hope you don't mind friend request.

Jan 02 07 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

without words wrote:

You’re lucky to have started this way :-) And I know exactly what are you talking about when you mention “fear”. I feel the same now but I know it will go away once I’ll know what I’m doing with models. Your work is amazing, too bad you’re far away, I would definitely ask you if you need free assistant :-)

Thanks.

PS. I hope you don't mind friend request.

Feal the fear and do it anyway!!!!  you'll never be ready if you wait until you "know what you're doing with the models".  Again, you will learn more by trial and error.  You can learn alot of technical aspects of photography by assisting, but to find your true eye, you'll need to just start shooting.  Thanks for the compliments!  Drop a line any time.  Ask anything!  One word of advice.  If you are shooting and you don't want them to know your lack of knowledge, stay away from photography subjects.  Get to know the model.  Sometimes... silence is golden!

Jan 02 07 10:04 pm Link