Forums > General Industry > who decides whats good and whats bad?

Photographer

AJ Garcia

Aliso Viejo, California, US

ive noticed this while looking through some of MM.  like ive see how like almost every picture gets mixed reviews.  theres always someone that LOVES it, and then there is always someone that HATES it.  ive noticed where someone would put up a photogragh, that same photograph get a lot of praise, but at the same time some people will tear it up as "sub par" trash.  so to keep it short, what makes a photograph a good one, and what makes one a bad one? is it just all a matter of personal opinion, the idea that what may look like crap to one person, may look like art to another person?

Dec 30 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Alberto Garcia wrote:
is it just all a matter of personal opinion, the idea that what may look like crap to one person, may look like art to another person?

yes. you answered your question.

thread over.

Dec 30 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Anna Wintour?

Dec 30 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Offshore Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Jessalyn wrote:

yes. you answered your question.

thread over.

Thats awesome well put smile

Dec 30 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

This just in... any photo taken in 'auto' mode is bad and makes you a fake photographer.

Dec 30 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Me.

It keeps me very busy, but I have an obligation to the world.

M

Dec 30 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Dec 30 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Sorry, that came across wrong.. I didn't mean the OP was a fake or bad, etc.. I was referring to another thread where people were talking about "a" mode and how it plays into being 'good' or 'bad'.

Doug Vosler wrote:
Bullsh*t.  It makes them a beginner.  He's not claiming to be a pro.

Now, he's asked for critiques in the critique forum, instead of just being mean, why don't you use your expertise to help him?

Dec 30 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alberto Garcia wrote:
who decides whats good and whats bad?

If I'm the one giving the critique, I do.

Dec 30 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

David Verespie wrote:
Sorry, that came across wrong.. I didn't mean the OP was a fake or bad, etc.. I was referring to another thread where people were talking about "a" mode and how it plays into being 'good' or 'bad'.

Honestly... I feel like an ass now.

I think I'll go hide for a while.

Dec 30 06 10:58 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You know...this is a really tough subject, because art is such a subjective thing. Your own opinion of what's good is obviously a personal choice...but in general, what's good art? My answer? Good art is whatever the general public feels is good art once they put aside personal biases, sexual feelings, and all that other stuff that mars our perceptions.

Dec 30 06 11:59 pm Link