Forums > General Industry > The Devil Wears Prada (old topic, I know.)

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

So I finally got this movie from NetFlix and watched it the other night. Some observations:

1) Meryl Streep is freaking hot with that off-silver hair. Seriously.

2) There were some *fantastic* lines in that movie. I think my favorite was this exchange:

(Miranda, editor-in-chief of RUNWAY and some assistants are deciding between two similar belts for an outfit, and someone comments on how different they are. Andy, her new assistant who is entirely ignorant of fashion, sniggers because she thinks they look exactly the same.)

Miranda Priestly:  Something funny?

Andy Sachs: No, no, nothing. Y'know, it's just that both those belts look exactly the same to me. Y'know, I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Miranda Priestly: This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue sweater represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.

3) I haven't read the book and so this isn't a comparison, but I wish they hadn't tried so hard to put little humanizing elements into Miranda. I wanted her the *complete* stone bitch. If it had turned out at the end of the movie that she actually was the Devil, that would have been fine with me.

M

Dec 30 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Great movie..

Loving the whole Paris scene!!

Dec 30 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I still haven't seen that!  I really want to.

Dec 30 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I think you mean Meryl Streep, not Glenn Close

Dec 30 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think you're right. My mistake.

For some reason I *always* confuse their names. I can tell them apart, obviously, I just always transpose their names.

M

Dec 30 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Meryl Streep is the actress most aspiring actresses want to be (I'll lump myself into that)...

"The details of your incompetence do not interest me."
"By all means, move at a glacial pace...you know how much that thrills me"

Dec 30 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Bisous

Los Angeles, California, US

Meryl Streep is just an amazing actress! I mean how can someone play a character that is soooo horrible yet make you laugh at the same time, and the roles she plays are soo different...ah amazing LOVE her!

Dec 30 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Emily's tall blonde friend was hot.

Dec 30 06 08:54 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

StMarc wrote:
So I finally got this movie from NetFlix and watched it the other night. Some observations:

2) There were some *fantastic* lines in that movie. I think my favorite was this exchange:

(Miranda, editor-in-chief of RUNWAY and some assistants are deciding between two similar belts for an outfit, and someone comments on how different they are. Andy, her new assistant who is entirely ignorant of fashion, sniggers because she thinks they look exactly the same.)

Andy Sachs: No, no, nothing. Y'know, it's just that both those belts look exactly the same to me. Y'know, I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Miranda Priestly: This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue sweater represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.

3) I haven't read the book and so this isn't a comparison, but I wish they hadn't tried so hard to put little humanizing elements into Miranda. I wanted her the *complete* stone bitch. If it had turned out at the end of the movie that she actually was the Devil, that would have been fine with me.

M

You know what Marc... I would NEVER think you would of enjoyed that kind of movie... I haven't seen it myself.. but you made me want to go rent it!!!

Dec 30 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Best written movie in a long time.

Dec 30 06 09:07 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I just saw it recently (thanks for Inmotion coming to the rescue of bored travellers).  I enjoyed it, but yeah... it reinforced how much I feel out of place doing even remotely mainstream stuff here in Seattle (where it's not even a tiny bit that cruel).

Dec 31 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

Haven't seen the movie, but what is that other chicks name...crap can't think of it....from the princess diaries..

she just got fired from her Disney contract casue she did a move where she showed her boobies..

Edit:  Ahhh Ann Hathaway...(SP)

Dec 31 06 03:58 am Link

Model

beccalynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

Awwww... I thought we were talking about the really shitty Ohio band.

Dec 31 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

t_lacki

Baku, Bakı, Azerbaijan

another predictable (boring) chick-flick.
have fun ladies;>

Dec 31 06 04:22 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

I worked Paris Fashion Week, what a freakin' mill! And yes, I'll never forget that cerulean diatribe. wink

Dec 31 06 04:32 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My mother forced me to watch the movie over Christmas.  The movie had some fun moments but overall my impression was the main character's boorish boyfriend was unsupportive and had big teeth.

Dec 31 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...coincidently, also watched the "Prada" movie in the home theatre this weekend-loved it.
In the book, your scenario wish for the bitch is a hundred more times played than in the flic. Hollywood softened the razor sharp edges of Miranda's character.

Dec 31 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

StMarc wrote:

M

Bought the DVD and I love this MOVIE smile

Dec 31 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

dgold wrote:
...coincidently, also watched the "Prada" movie in the home theatre this weekend-loved it.
In the book, your scenario wish for the bitch is a hundred more times played than in the flic. Hollywood softened the razor sharp edges of Miranda's character.

I am going to get the book smile I just love Miranda's character smile

Dec 31 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Yep, I keep telling models that men, the viewer.... love wicked, nasty women and endeavor to bring out a model's dangerous, dark persona....It's a stretch for some midwestern gals to discover that supressed aspect, that we so love in the villains we love to hate. Like the schoolgirl assassin, and others in Kill Bill. Or Aeon Flux, or Sin City.
   The political aspects of Prada are what drives the story...but I'd love to have seen more insights into fashion design, and one "real" fashion shoot....for the publication...though that probably would have been an aside to the storyline.
   Have seen lots of dvd documentaries on glamour,swimsuit shoots....SI,Maxim,Playboy...etc....but never anything on the fashion shooters, to see how it's done...start to fiinish......except brief clips of Avedon & Liewowitz....

rent the Prada dvd... some fun background mini-features are on the disk

Dec 31 06 11:14 am Link