Forums > General Industry > hard for males to get modeling offers

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, why does it seem that it so difficult for males to find any job offers for modeling. It seems this industry is just for the ladies.

My friends, family, or just people tell me that I should model, but it just seems that the guys rarely ever get contacted. I have female friends who get requests often, and since I have been here, I have been contacted twice.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am just clueless. What should us men do?

Dec 29 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

janos gyorke wrote:
What should us men do?

You should probably see if you can sign with an agency.  The internet market is very sex-driven: glamour, private picture collectors, nudes, etc.  That means it's skewed toward women as subjects.  I'd be surprised if more than a handful of men make any kind of living using only the internet to market themselves.  I'd suggest seeing what agencies are in your area, and setting about finding out whether you're appropriate for the kind of work they book.

Reading www.newmodels.com will also provide some assistance to you.

Good luck!

Dec 29 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Duh.

Dec 29 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

janos gyorke wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, why does it seem that it so difficult for males to find any job offers for modeling. It seems this industry is just for the ladies.

My friends, family, or just people tell me that I should model, but it just seems that the guys rarely ever get contacted. I have female friends who get requests often, and since I have been here, I have been contacted twice.

What Sita Mae Edwards said is certainly valid ... but you need better pictures too! I have seen plenty of male models here who have a good book.  You need a better book to compete! Don't depend on the internet to make a living at this!

Dec 29 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

janos gyorke wrote:
My friends, family, or just people tell me that I should model

are any of them involved in the modeling industry?

Dec 29 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

are any of them involved in the modeling industry?

Yes, his sister smile

I personally think that if you move in NY or CA you'd have way more offers then you do in Atlanta. 
The only jobs I get from the agency is like water-filter ads and stuff, they rarely hire guys.  Probably fashion/acting market would be more suitable for you as a male model.

Dec 29 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

C David Stephens wrote:
Duh.

?

Dec 29 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

LA-MONTE GRIFFIN

Sacramento, California, US

For some reason I can't stop finding men to shoot. Every time I post, the majority of my responses are from men. Not sure what's up with that. Anyway, Just keep going after it you will get a good deal with persistence.

Dec 29 06 09:42 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

https://pics.livejournal.com/madcitychel/pic/00071k8x
https://pics.livejournal.com/madcitychel/pic/000707ba

Dec 29 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Hard? Men? What?

Dec 29 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

janos gyorke wrote:
Hello Everyone,

sorry but I see no reason why you should try to model.

Dec 30 06 02:25 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

janos gyorke wrote:

Mark wrote:

Ouch!!

Don't be shy, Mark. Tell him what you really think...

Dec 30 06 02:38 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Mark wrote:

I think he is good looking, so if he likes it, he should.

Dec 30 06 03:42 am Link

Model

Josu

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, US

janos gyorke wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Actually I have been on here for a little over a week and have already had quite a few offers..

Dec 30 06 04:00 am Link

Model

Wenzel

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Honesty time, call an agency, ask them to recommend their main composition photographer, pay him and then ask him to introduce you to the agency.  You are squinting in every single one of your pictures with the same expression - Sorry man, not trying to be a jerk but that's the way it is...

Dec 30 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Julia wrote:
https://pics.livejournal.com/madcitychel/pic/00071k8x
https://pics.livejournal.com/madcitychel/pic/000707ba

Huge LOL!

Dec 30 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Depends what your in it for.  If you spend your time trying to get paying modeling jobs via sites like MM, then you are not being very effective.  If you really want to be a general purpose model and build a career out of it, then you need to go the traditional route. Find good photog(s) and stylist(s) --> Pay them money to make you look good.  --> Print lots of comp cards and make sure they get out to potential clients (preferably through an agency). If you are into it on an experimental basis and want to find photogs to help you create new ideas, or you just want to learn about the process, then internet modeling is a fun way to do it.  Best to be proactive though. - Find photogs in your area who have shot male models and present an idea or two to them.  People love new ideas.

Dec 30 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

This just in:

Water wet, fire burns. More on these developing stories as we get it.

M

Dec 30 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

StMarc wrote:
Water wet, fire burns.

Not if you're wearing underwear made from potassium.

Dec 30 06 08:24 pm Link