Forums > General Industry > Does this model have any recourse?

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Last night I received an email from a friend and a model I've worked with before. Here it is:

Hi, Jason.
I really need your help.  A couple of years ago (before you and I worked together), I took photos with a piece of shit photographer who really manipulated a friend and I, took our six hundred dollars, and somehow talked us into doing topless photos.  I guess we just trusted him... stupid.  Anyway, he said he would never use the topless stuff on his website.  It has been months upon years and nothing has been on his website up until now.  I'm devastated, Jason.  It feels so private, and now it is for the world to see. 

The help that I need from you is simply to know my rights.  Can I do anything about this?  Please email me asap.

I asked her a few questions in reply:

Have you asked him to take the photos down?

What is the purpose of this guy's website? Is it a site where people have to pay to see your photos, is it a portfolio page for his photography business or is it some other type of business/personal web page?

Did you sign any kind of release allowing him to use the photos? (if you paid him, I hope not)

Does he have a copy of your id on file?

Are the photos artistic or sexual? Are you identifiable in the photos?

Did you ever receive your photos from this guy? XXXXX once told me he ripped you off.

As I understand it, 2257 mainly applies to photos showing a model's pubic area, so I'm not hopeful in that area. I have the feeling that the photographer is within his rights here, though he did act unethically.

What I want to know is if I am missing something. Is there anything she can do if he refuses to take down the photos?

By the way, she realizes now she made some bad choices. The point of this thread is to determine what she may be able to do, not judge her.

Dec 27 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Last night I received an email from a friend and a model I've worked with before. Here it is:

I asked her a few questions in reply:

As I understand it, 2257 mainly applies to photos showing a model's pubic area, so I'm not hopeful in that area. I have the feeling that the photographer is within his rights here, though he did act unethically.

What I want to know is if I am missing something. Is there anything she can do if he refuses to take down the photos?

By the way, she realizes now she made some bad choices. The point of this thread is to determine what she may be able to do, not judge her.

Bad choices in the past?  Is she now running for public office, minister at her church, schoolteacher?  Why is she now fussing about topless photos taken some time ago?  At the time of the shoot, did the photographer promise not to post them online?  Many unanswered questions here.

No, she has no recourse.  All she can do now is own up to the things she did in her past and embrace them.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

P.S.  If the photographer (at the time of the shoot) promised not to post them online - then he acted dishonorably, although well within his legal rights.  I always ask my models permission first before posting anything they may not want posted.

Dec 27 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Is she now running for public office, minister at her church, schoolteacher?  Why is she now fussing about topless photos taken some time ago?

Only she can answer that.

According to her email, he did promise not to use the topless photos online. Like I wrote in the OP, he is within his rights though he acted unethically.

Dec 27 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Keith Goodman

Sarasota, Florida, US

Negotiation --

The photographer might honor his verbal promise if approached in a not confrontational manner.. or not!

If he refuses and if she is values her privacy enough she can offer to pay the guy not to post.  It seems that money is the name of the game.  I doubt he is posting out of some perversity although without more information who knows.

Dec 27 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

keithg wrote:
Negotiation --

The photographer might honor his verbal promise if approached in a not confrontational manner.. or not!

If he refuses and if she is values her privacy enough she can offer to pay the guy not to post.  It seems that money is the name of the game.  I doubt he is posting out of some perversity although without more information who knows.

keithg wrote:
Negotiation --

This makes good sense.  If you get someone's dander up first they are not very likely to backdown.  He may not be a complete dipstick and if approached sincerely he may relent.  If not then try a letter from an attorney.  He is within his rights from the sounds of it and probably knows it but might not feel its worth the hassle.

Dec 27 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I can't believe that all you guys think she automatically has no rights. The biggest question is -- did she sign a release? If she did, and if it has no exclusion clause for topless photos, there isn't much she can do.

On the other hand, if she didn't sign a release, in many states, what the photographer is doing may be in violation of applicable right to publicity statutes. A simple warning letter from a good lawyer may be enough to scare him into taking them down.

Just because you pay somebody to let you take their picture does not give you unlimited rights to use the picture. This comes as a surprise to many photographers. And in this case, the model apparently paid the photographer for the images, so he has even fewer rights to them.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, so this isn't legal advice.

Regards,
Paul

Dec 27 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

You never mentioned her reply to whether she signed a release or whether all aspects of any contract she had with him were fulfilled.

Dec 27 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

BlackWatch wrote:
You never mentioned her reply to whether she signed a release or whether all aspects of any contract she had with him were fulfilled.

I haven't received one yet. I will when I get it.

Dec 27 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Can't give you legal advice, but can give you business advice:

$ talks.

She can make an offer to buy the rights and all existing negatives and prints. It might be expensive, but if it means that much to her, it might be worth it. She could even see if the other model wants to go fifty-fifty with her.

(I'm assuming she did a series of shoots with the photographer - she did have a business arrangement with him for the shots she already paid for, and may already have the rights to those have her dig up the contract).

Dec 27 06 08:41 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

If I pay a photographer, I don't expect him to use the images without my written permission. They're solely for my private and personal use, not his, that's why I would pay him.

Dec 27 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Even if she bought the rights/photos from him...the damage is done. They're on-line.

In short, she has no "signed" release stating he would not use the photos in a public display or on-line etc. Therefore, she has no recourse. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

I can verbally promise to buy your car. But if I don't pay you a red cent, there's nothing legally you can do about it. A verbal statement means nothing in law.

Dec 27 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

ward wrote:
Even if she bought the rights/photos from him...the damage is done. They're on-line.

In short, she has no "signed" release stating he would not use the photos in a public display or on-line etc. Therefore, she has no recourse. Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

I can verbally promise to buy your car. But if I don't pay you a red cent, there's nothing legally you can do about it. A verbal statement means nothing in law.

You are ignoring two important items here Ward. She hasn't answered the question of whether or not she signed a release. If she didn't, she may have recourse. The second is she paid him, not the other way around. She in essence bought the rights to the photos. The norm here in the States is for a (legitimate)  photographer to only use a few of the best shots for self promotion on a paid shoot, and then only with specific permission if there is any nudity etc. That is usually writen into the sales contract, if there was one. She may or may not have some recourse, based on the answers to the questions the OP asked her.

Dec 27 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wade Henderson wrote:

You are ignoring two important items here Ward. She hasn't answered the question of whether or not she signed a release. If she didn't, she may have recourse. The second is she paid him, not the other way around. She in essence bought the rights to the photos. The norm here in the States is for a (legitimate)  photographer to only use a few of the best shots for self promotion on a paid shoot, and then only with specific permission if there is any nudity etc. That is usually writen into the sales contract, if there was one. She may or may not have some recourse, based on the answers to the questions the OP asked her.

Granted, if there is a release, and if it's specific as to what uses the images may or may not be used for. Second, even is she paid him, as she has stated, then she still requires some sort of release noting the "useage/non-useage" of the images. I know when a client hires me, the release is clear as to whether they have purchased from me "full" useage of the images, or a "one-time" only useage. Therefore, I guess we need to see what the rest of the story is on this as it pertains to the release form and it's conditions.

Dec 27 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

You're completely wrong. In many states, she doesn't need a "'signed' release stating he would not use the photos in a public display or on-line etc."

Just the opposite -- in many states, under right to publicity laws, HE needs a signed release from the model giving him permission to publish or use the images to promote a business, service, or product. She very well may have recourse, depending on where he put them, and what kind of site it is.

I cannot believe how many photographers are miseducated about this. In most states, there is NO right to use someone's picture for self-promotion or other commercial activity without their permission, regardless of who took the picture, or who paid who. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule -- editorial usage, for example, and in some states, artistic display (some with strict limitations) is allowed. But just because you own the copyright to the image does NOT mean you have a right to commercially exploit someone's picture. There are two sets of laws here to consider, in tension.

You guys really need to do some reading.

Paul

ward wrote:

Dec 27 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

ward wrote:

Granted, if there is a release, and if it's specific as to what uses the images may or may not be used for. Second, even is she paid him, as she has stated, then she still requires some sort of release noting the "useage/non-useage" of the images. I know when a client hires me, the release is clear as to whether they have purchased from me "full" useage of the images, or a "one-time" only useage. Therefore, I guess we need to see what the rest of the story is on this as it pertains to the release form and it's conditions.

That's what I'm thinking. As an aside though, I understood Canadian copyright law said basically "whoever pays for the job owns the copyright." Is that correct or am I misunderstanding the jist of it?

Dec 27 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
If I pay a photographer, I don't expect him to use the images without my written permission. They're solely for my private and personal use, not his, that's why I would pay him.

Fortunately,  what you think and what the law says are two different things

Dec 27 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

That's a reasonable expectation. However, I would add that disagreements often arise from misunderstandings - some honest, some not. Regardless of who pays who, it is always best for the photographer to obtain a written release for any uses he anticipates making, and for the model to receive a usage agreement or license granting her the rights to use the images for any usage she anticipates.

If these two things exist -- a good model release, and a good usage license, an awful lot of these unfortunate misunderstandings and disagreements would go away.

Example: last week, I did a headshot session for an actor. It was a paid session, and I had no plans to use the images myself. However, the makeup artist asked if she could have a few prints for her portfolio. Based on this request, I asked the actor if that usage would be OK, and then got a release from him. I then gave a usage license to the MUA granting her rights to use the images for self-promotion. Now, everybody understands what's going on, and there is less chance of disagreement later.

Regards,
Paul

Dawn Winter wrote:

Dec 27 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

bang bang photo wrote:
You're completely wrong. In many states, she doesn't need a "'signed' release stating he would not use the photos in a public display or on-line etc."

Just the opposite -- in many states, under right to publicity laws, HE needs a signed release from the model giving him permission to publish or use the images to promote a business, service, or product. She very well may have recourse, depending on where he put them, and what kind of site it is.

I cannot believe how many photographers are miseducated about this. In most states, there is NO right to use someone's picture for self-promotion or other commercial activity without their permission, regardless of who took the picture, or who paid who. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule -- editorial usage, for example, and in some states, artistic display (some with strict limitations) is allowed. But just because you own the copyright to the image does NOT mean you have a right to commercially exploit someone's picture. There are two sets of laws here to consider, in tension.

Paul

You said it much better than I did, but that's what I was trying to get across.

Dec 27 06 09:30 am Link

Model

L E O III

Toledo, Ohio, US

Get someone to break his legs smile

Dec 27 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wade Henderson wrote:
She hasn't answered the question of whether or not she signed a release. If she didn't, she may have recourse. The second is she paid him, not the other way around. She in essence bought the rights to the photos. The norm here in the States is for a (legitimate)  photographer to only use a few of the best shots for self promotion on a paid shoot, and then only with specific permission if there is any nudity etc.

It doesn't matter if she paid him or he paid her or if they danced around a maypole to "seal the deal". The photographer still owns the copyrights and CAN use any of the photos for self-promotion, which includes posting them on his website. It gets a little cloudy if the website is a pay-site, but that can go either way, pending a court decision. He can also make "fine-art" prints and sell them (or at least a limited "fine-art" edition).

The best way to avoid stuff like this is to not take your top off in the first place. I know this is hindsight, but models have to realize what they do today (or in this case, yesterday) is done. It can't be undone and they must live with their decisions.

Dec 27 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I recommend contacting Guido and Nunzio's House of Verbal Agreement Enforcement. I believe they're having a special this month on the plumber's putty option.

M

Dec 27 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Really? I would disagree. Yes, there are some uses he might be able to make, lacking a written agrement to the contrary. But in many, if not most states, if he uses a client's image, without permission, to promote his business or products, he is violating the model's right to publicity.

Care to quote a single law that allows publishing on the web for self-promotion, without the permission of the individuals in the picture?

Vito wrote:
Fortunately,  what you think and what the law says are two different things

Dec 27 06 09:33 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Only she can answer that.

According to her email, he did promise not to use the topless photos online. Like I wrote in the OP, he is within his rights though he acted unethically.

If you acknowledge he was within his rights then what's the point of this thread? If she signed a release, there's nothing she can do but suck it up and not do it again, or shell out some cash and pay him for the rights to the photos.

Dec 27 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Really? I would disagree. Yes, there are some uses he might be able to make, lacking a written agrement to the contrary. But in many, if not most states, if he uses a client's image, without permission, to promote his business or products, he is violating the model's right to publicity.

Really. If a model pays me to shoot her, (and this is a common practice and IS NOT "work-for-hire", that's a completely different situation), I (the photographer) still own the copyright and can use the images for self-promotion as well as editorial and some artistic endevours such as shows and limited prints.

Dec 27 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A model should never let someone take photos that she wouldn't be comfortable being posted...on the internet or a billboard or a book or anywhere.  Seems stupid to me that a model would let the pictures be taken and then complain.  If you let it be captured on film and video you can expect to see it at some point down the road.  That's why I tell all potential boyfriends that they might have trouble if they wanted to run for political office and were dating me:-)

Dec 27 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Paul

Perhaps you are right as per the letter of the law.  But in practice, things tend to be handled differently.  Two years ago, an agent from a modeling agency TOLD me to take down the pics I had taken of one of his models (these were taken before she had ever signed with his agency) in response to which I did . . . nothing!  The images are still on my online portfolio.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Dec 27 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

I think at this point -- the point of the thread is to discover the following facts:

1. Was there a release?
2. If so, what was in it?
3. Was there an agreement not to use the topless images? Was it verbal? Email? Written?
4. Is the photographer a nice guy who will take down the images if asked politely, or will some sort of illegal or legal arm-twisting be required?

The correct answer to the OP's question will range from, "you're fucked, better luck next time," to "you can probably make him stop, and you won't even have to break the law to do it."

Until we have the answers to those questions, it's all speculation.

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

If you acknowledge he was within his rights then what's the point of this thread? If she signed a release, there's nothing she can do but suck it up and not do it again, or shell out some cash and pay him for the rights to the photos.

Dec 27 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Right - there's always two issues -- what the letter of the law requires -- and what you can get away with. The problem is, an awful lot of people hear the "what you can get away with" stuff, and assume that it's their legal right. That can lead to unpleasant surprises.

In this case, if there is no model release, and this took place in California, I'm betting the model will win this one, and all she'll have to do is have a lawyer send a letter. But then -- it's true -- I'm just a photographer, not a lawyer -- and even lawyers disagree about these things from time to time.

The other thing I will say -- I think a lot of photographers are unaware of the recent creeping progress of right to publicity law. "The way I've always done it" is based on a world where right to publicity wasn't as evolved as it it today. So a lot of old farts who have been in the business forever are assuming that just because they've always gotten away with something, they always well. Which in this particular case, is a mistake. Intellectual property is about the only thing left that we actually make in America, and it's increasingly protected by law and precedent -- sometimes helping us photographers, sometimes hurting us.

Regards,
Paul

JAY carreon wrote:
Perhaps you are right as per the letter of the law.  But in practice, things tend to be handled differently.  Two years ago, an agent from a modeling agency TOLD me to take down the pics I had taken of one of his models (these were taken before she had ever signed with his agency) in response to which I did . . . nothing!  The images are still on my online portfolio.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Dec 27 06 09:45 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

bang bang photo wrote:
I think at this point -- the point of the thread is to discover the following facts:

1. Was there a release?
2. If so, what was in it?
3. Was there an agreement not to use the topless images? Was it verbal? Email? Written?
4. Is the photographer a nice guy who will take down the images if asked politely, or will some sort of illegal or legal arm-twisting be required?

The correct answer to the OP's question will range from, "you're fucked, better luck next time," to "you can probably make him stop, and you won't even have to break the law to do it."

Until we have the answers to those questions, it's all speculation.

But of course...but the way everything's been phrased, it really sounds like there's a release. If there were an agreement not to use a certain type of shot, I don't see why anyone would need to ask us about it. You go find a lawyer and take it from there.

Dec 27 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Vito -- Copyright and right to publicity law are two different types of law. I suggest you read up on right to publicity law.

I think you may be confused by a New York law that says that you have the right to display a work on your studio premises without obtaining permission of the individuals pictured in the work. However, I think it's a stretch to suggest that "studio premises" extends to publishing work on the internet.

Regardless, I agree that many photographers get away with it most of the time. My point is, if this happens in a state with strong right to publicity law, and the photographer encounters a determined subject, he's gonna lose.

One thing I HOPE we can all agree on -- in this increasingly legal-minded world, a responsible professional photographer should always obtain releases for any uses he contemplates, and he should give his clients usage licenses for any uses he wishes to grant. If we just did this, our relationships with models and clients would be a lot smoother. Not perfect, but better.

Regards,
Paul

Vito wrote:
Really. If a model pays me to shoot her, (and this is a common practice and IS NOT "work-for-hire", that's a completely different situation), I (the photographer) still own the copyright and can use the images for self-promotion as well as editorial and some artistic endevours such as shows and limited prints.

Dec 27 06 09:51 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

bang bang photo wrote:
That's a reasonable expectation. However, I would add that disagreements often arise from misunderstandings - some honest, some not. Regardless of who pays who, it is always best for the photographer to obtain a written release for any uses he anticipates making, and for the model to receive a usage agreement or license granting her the rights to use the images for any usage she anticipates.

If these two things exist -- a good model release, and a good usage license, an awful lot of these unfortunate misunderstandings and disagreements would go away.

Example: last week, I did a headshot session for an actor. It was a paid session, and I had no plans to use the images myself. However, the makeup artist asked if she could have a few prints for her portfolio. Based on this request, I asked the actor if that usage would be OK, and then got a release from him. I then gave a usage license to the MUA granting her rights to use the images for self-promotion. Now, everybody understands what's going on, and there is less chance of disagreement later.

Regards,
Paul

Well fortunately I have my own releases for that, to avoid exactly what she's going through.
Also it helps to not take pictures, destroy or buy the negs of that you wouldn't want anyone to see. Just makes better sense.

Dec 27 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Vito -- Copyright and right to publicity law are two different types of law. I suggest you read up on right to publicity law.

I think you may be confused by a New York law that says that you have the right to display a work on your studio premises without obtaining permission of the individuals pictured in the work. However, I think it's a stretch to suggest that "studio premises" extends to publishing work on the internet.

Regardless, I agree that many photographers get away with it most of the time. My point is, if this happens in a state with strong right to publicity law, and the photographer encounters a determined subject, he's gonna lose.

One thing I HOPE we can all agree on -- in this increasingly legal-minded world, a responsible professional photographer should always obtain releases for any uses he contemplates, and he should give his clients usage licenses for any uses he wishes to grant. If we just did this, our relationships with models and clients would be a lot smoother. Not perfect, but better.

Regards,
Paul

The internet posting is self-promotion, not publishing. This has been discussed ad-infinitum on MM. At one time in the dark ages (early 1990's), it was believed that anything posted on the internet was considered being published. It was ruled wrong. Without a release, a photo can be posted on a website as promotional. The sticky area here is if the website is a pay site.

Dec 27 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
Well fortunately I have my own releases for that, to avoid exactly what she's going through.
Also it helps to not take pictures, destroy or buy the negs of that you wouldn't want anyone to see. Just makes better sense.

Just curious (really, not being confrontational), but how many photographer sign "your" release as opposed to using their own?

More important, what's "different" about yours than a standard photographers' (not that anything about this stuff is standard) release?

Dec 27 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Self-promotion = promotion, right? Yes, posting it may be self-promotion, not publishing, but in many states, like the original poster's state of California, self-promotion is not one of the exemptions to right to publicity law.

Here is the specific statute from California:

"3344. Use of Another's Name, Voice, Signature, Photograph, or Likeness in Advertising or Soliciting Without Prior Consent.

(a) Any person who knowingly uses another's name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness, in any manner on or in products, merchandise, or goods, or for purposes of advertising or selling, or soliciting purchases of products, merchandise, goods or services, without such person's prior consent, or, in the case of a minor, the prior consent of his parent or legal guardian, shall be liable for any damages sustained by the person or persons injured as a result thereof. In addition, in any action brought under this section, the person who violated the section shall be liable to the injured party or parties in an amount equal to the greater of seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or the actual damages suffered by him or her as a result of the unauthorized use, and any profits from the unauthorized use that are attributable to the use and are not taken into account in computing the actual damages. In establishing such profits, the injured party or parties are required to prove his or her deductible expenses. Punitive damages may also be awarded to the injured party or parties. The prevailing party in any action under this section shall also be entitled to attorney's fees and costs.

(b) As used in this section, "photograph" means any photograph or photographic reproduction, still or moving, or any videotape or live television transmission, of any person, such that the person is readily identifiable."

Now New York, and some other states, aren't as strict on this as CA is, so people from NY are going to have a different experience and reference point. But as you can see, in CA, there is no differentiation between "promotion" and "self-promotion."

My belief is that in CA, if a model pays a photog for images, doesn't sign a release, and the photog publishes them in a way that can be construed as promoting his business or products, he is going to lose if it goes to court, and his lawyer is going to recommend he take the photos down immediately. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm wrong about lots of stuff!

Regards,
Paul

Vito wrote:
The internet posting is self-promotion, not publishing. This has been discussed ad-infinitum on MM. At one time in the dark ages (early 1990's), it was believed that anything posted on the internet was considered being published. It was ruled wrong. Without a release, a photo can be posted on a website as promotional. The sticky area here is if the website is a pay site.

Dec 27 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Again, posting photos on the internet (on a website) is NOT publishing. Self promotion is allowed by fair-use laws. It is not advertising nor soliciting.

CA law cannot over-ride basic copyright law.

Dec 27 06 10:25 am Link

Model

UnavailableNonExistant

Columbus, Ohio, US

Vito wrote:

Just curious (really, not being confrontational), but how many photographer sign "your" release as opposed to using their own?

More important, what's "different" about yours than a standard photographers' (not that anything about this stuff is standard) release?

You ask because you have me tagged as a brainless model because I didn't write a book for an answer, and yet you're curious to know how is it that i'm able to protect myself, right?

To give you the gist of it, for shoots that I pay for it states "yadda yadda yadda such said images cannot be used in any form or fashion without the expressed written conscent of Dawn Winter and/or Urban Starr ENT. Yadda yadda yadda..."

I take it now you're going to try and argue me down about this? "Oh the verbalage is wrong, no photographer worth his salt would sign that, yadda, yadda, yadda" ? Help yourself, i've already won a case where my image was illegally used on a flier from a shoot that I paid for, had the release signed, and the photographer used the image anyway, thinking I wouldn't find out. The judge read the release, asked the photographer if that was his handwriting, he tried to lie, got caught, the judge then promptly granted me my judgement.

Experience is a great teacher and works great for examples.

Dec 27 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Uh, OK. Please show just one citation that suggest that Copyright trumps state right to publicity law. And that Copyright fair-use law has anything to do with right to publicity and the need to obtain permission to use someone's likeness for promotion of a product, service, or business.

I think you're not just wrong, but you're dangerously wrong.

Vito wrote:
Again, posting photos on the internet (on a website) is NOT publishing. Self promotion is allowed by fair-use laws. It is not advertising nor soliciting.

CA law cannot over-ride basic copyright law.

Dec 27 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

I believe when they say

CA Law wrote:
(a) Any person who knowingly uses another's name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness, in any manner on or in products, merchandise, or goods, or for purposes of advertising or selling, or soliciting purchases of products, merchandise, goods or services,....

The services they mean are not the services of the photographer. They mean if used to advertise for example, the services of a doctor or lawyer or hooker. In other words, I took the photo. Without a release, I cannot use/sell the photo to a doctor who is advertising in a magazine or billboard for his services.

All the other ("soliciting purchases of products, merchandise, goods") would not apply to a web-based "portfolio" for self-promotion.

Dec 27 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Susi wrote:
A model should never let someone take photos that she wouldn't be comfortable being posted...on the internet or a billboard or a book or anywhere.  Seems stupid to me that a model would let the pictures be taken and then complain.  If you let it be captured on film and video you can expect to see it at some point down the road.  That's why I tell all potential boyfriends that they might have trouble if they wanted to run for political office and were dating me:-)

TWIWGTS smile

Dec 27 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dawn Winter wrote:
You ask because you have me tagged as a brainless model because I didn't write a book for an answer, and yet you're curious to know how is it that i'm able to protect myself, right?

To give you the gist of it, for shoots that I pay for it states "yadda yadda yadda such said images cannot be used in any form or fashion without the expressed written conscent of Dawn Winter and/or Urban Starr ENT. Yadda yadda yadda..."

I take it now you're going to try and argue me down about this? "Oh the verbalage is wrong, no photographer worth his salt would sign that, yadda, yadda, yadda" ? Help yourself, i've already won a case where my image was illegally used on a flier from a shoot that I paid for, had the release signed, and the photographer used the image anyway, thinking I wouldn't find out. The judge read the release, asked the photographer if that was his handwriting, he tried to lie, got caught, the judge then promptly granted me my judgement.

Experience is a great teacher and works great for examples.

No. I asked because a lot of models say they have their own releases on MM and most photographers on MM say they would never sign a model-written release. The reason being is that they (or someone they copied their release from) paid a lot of money for an IP lawyer to create a release that covers their butts. I made no judgment on you or your release.

Dec 27 06 10:33 am Link