Forums > General Industry > Who decides which pics are posted ?

Photographer

Full Sun Photography

Dickson, Tennessee, US

I you've got a model who doesn't know a good image from a loaf of bread and is constantly telling you to remove images of her that she doesn't like...What do you photogs do ? You've got a realease...do you stand your ground ?

Dec 26 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Full Sun Photography wrote:
You've got a realease...do you stand your ground ?

Yes.

Dec 26 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson Art

Shreveport, Louisiana, US

Yes

Dec 26 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Yes

You've got a tasteful portfolio...if the work is consistant than she should have no right to complain...I have models who only post some of the pictures we did from a day...maybe we did 5 different styles in a day and she only liked the ones where she looked tough and not pretty...the pretty ones go in my port...the tough and cool ones in her port...that's why we each have our own port...

Dec 26 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mr-Photographer

Austin, Texas, US

yes.

it's amazing what some people think their good sides/expressions are.

Dec 26 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I you've got a model who doesn't know a good image from a loaf of bread and is constantly telling you to remove images of her that she doesn't like...What do you photogs do ? You've got a realease...do you stand your ground ?

well I have had photographers post really terrible pictures of me but I don't ask them to take them down, I just pretend I never shot with them. I take down links to them and so on. I can PM you an example. The nice thing to do would be to just put up a photo that you both agree is the best image on your part and the most flattering on her part. Especially if it is TFP/TFCD, it's supposed to benefit everyone.

Dec 26 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I don't ask models which image they'd like me to post, but if they don't like something, I take it down.  I shoot digital with usually a couple hundred shots per shoot, so I can find another one that she'll like.  But, as others have said, some models have no taste:  They have me take down decent shots, and they themselves post garbage.  Still, I don't argue.  Life's too short.

Dec 26 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

i'm the photographer, they're the model. if they want it to be the other way around they can work with someone else. i choose what images go in my portfolio, on my website, and which are submitted for publication. if they want to voice their opinion, they of course may, and I may or may not agree.

Often times models, stylists, and makeup artists do not know a good image from a bad image. in many cases, many photographers here don't know either.

Dec 26 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

Definitely stand your ground. Would she listen if you told her what you thought was best for her?

Don't think so.

- David

Dec 26 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

Absolutely.  If you took the time to do the shot, and YOU like it, that's what it was all about (for your port).

The there is the aspect of the model you took great pains to shoot, and YES, she WAS a pain, and you decided not to use any of the pics in your port.  Now she just doesn't understand.

Dec 26 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Dial tone.

Dec 26 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

I edit the photo, put my head on their body, and upload it in place....

Dec 26 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

When shooting a model with whom I use a release, I always plan a separate meeting to go over the release with him or her prior to the shoot.  The release makes it clear (and so do I since I go over it line by line) that under no uncertain terms does a model have the right to approve which images I use after they're taken. 

If I picked it, I obviously think it's worth a show, but then again, I'm uncouth, incompetent and possessed of notoriously bad taste.

Still, I've never had a model say that they rather I didn't use a particular photo.  Actually, they largely agree that I'm better at picking the ones which should be used in their books than they are...

Stand your ground.  Explain why you're using the photo and why it works.  They probably just are not yet savvy enough to identify why it should be used by a photographer.

Or maybe it's really crap and you have bad taste like me.  In that case, cave in and take it down...

Dec 26 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
If I picked it, I obviously think it's worth a show, but then again, I'm uncouth, incompetant and possessed of notoriously bad taste.

BTW, you've got some great shots.  I really like your defualt, and your fourth image.

Dec 26 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

The answer is dependent upon whether or not I wish to work with her again.  Why burn the bridge?

Dec 26 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I send them proofs to choose from that I feel are good enough to post. Anything they pick will be from a pre-selection I’ve made.

Dec 26 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Doug Vosler wrote:
BTW, you've got some great shots.  I really like your defualt, and your fourth image.

Ah, I see you lack taste as well!

Seriously though, thanks for the compliment.  Occasionally I luck up and get some keepers.  The rest get filed in the trash...

Dec 26 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowspawn

Montague, New Jersey, US

If a model doesn't like an image I want to use I try to understand why.  I will explain why I want to use the image.  (Don't forget photographers sell their skills not the model's looks.) If I don't agree with the model's reasoning I MAY still keep the photo in my portfolio BUT I probably won't use it as an avatar or in another location where it will get a lot of views.  The exception to all of this is if it is a paid shoot, in which case everything is up to the customer.

Dec 26 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Say, "I'll take it under advisement."

Then think about it and do whatever you want.

Dec 26 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Tay LMPA

Santa Ana, California, US

Normally I only lurk in forums but decided to give my $0.02 so take it for what it is worth:

The photos for a photog and for a model is different. The photos on a photog page is to show his skill in terms of lighting, compostiion, story-telling etc, and is not necessary a flattering image to a model.

For the model on the other hand is to show THEM. Photos should highlight their strenght and hide ther weaknesses, show their versatility and the ability to either look damn good or to show off certain products damn well.

To make a long story short: a photos that work for a model may be weak for the photog as it doesnt show off his skill (too flat a lighting for example) whearas something that shows off the excellent skills of a photog may not be used by a model (to much shadows that shows the eyebags for example).

As an example, the closeup of the portrait in my port here in MM (the one with THE EYES) is what works for me, but nothing for the model even though she personally likes that image, is not in her book, portfolio or comp cards. So the bottomline is, what do  you put your photos for and what purpose do they serve?

Peace.

Dec 26 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

I never expect the photographer to take down pictures of me just because I dont like them.
I am extremely critical of myself, and usually find something I did wrong in a picture- but I always thank the photographer, and learn from it for my next shoot.

Dec 26 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I send them proofs to choose from that I feel are good enough to post. Anything they pick will be from a pre-selection I’ve made.

Why are you sending her images that you don’t want posted?

Dec 26 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Why are you sending her images that you don’t want posted?

Craig you just quoted yourself! hehe

Dec 26 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Of course you stand your ground.  Who's driving the bus?

Dec 26 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

i typically drop the shot, then the model...

there are plenty of other models to work with, and if the pose came out that great, you can always reproduce it with another model who is more willing, able, and less of a hassle, right?

thats just me though...

if i wasn't so lazy i think i would stand my ground too...

Dec 26 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

YEP infact i tell them i will

Dec 26 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I'm lazy. They only get to choose from shots I would not be embarrassed to see in my own portfolio. Once I finish retouching their photos, I generally choose from that list rather than going back and working on more.

My avatar is one exception--it wasn't one of the model's picks, but it was a favorite of mine as soon as I saw it.

Dec 26 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Im assuming your taking about a TFP shot right?

Ive only had it happen once.  I dropped the shot until the problem was corrected.
I send all images to the models once they are thru with post processing. 
If there is a problem I expect to hear about it at that time, not once I've posted.

Dec 26 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I've taken a couple of photos down as a courtesy to the model, when she's asked. As long as I'm being asked politely, and she has a reasonable explanation, I generally don't have a problem with it. I ordinarily want people to wish to work with me again.

Dec 26 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I had a shoot where after the regular model finished I got the stylist/makeup woman to do herself up. I took some great images of her.

She has a very warped self image because she thought I made her "head look huge" and that the dress we chose didn't compliment her body. When instead of her seeing how slender I made her look, she got this really skewed image of herself.

I have a release, but I took the photo I chose out of them all down. I may keep it down, I may not. It shows my ability to make an overweight woman look not so overweight (she had rolls of fat in the clothes she arrived in, but none in the dress). It hurt my feelings actually, because she looked like she had slender calves and no body rolls and basically she turned it around that I made her look terrible.

It was weird. But I took it down. Some battles aren't worth fighting. And this was one of them.

Dec 26 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

it sucks to have someone post a bad picture of you and not take it down when you request or beg them to.  but then again maybe my favorite  pic to post differs might not seem so to the models. ugh.

Dec 26 06 10:10 pm Link